2015 – 1,861
    2016 – 2,065
    2017 – 2,133
    2018 – 2,284
    2019 – 2,501
    As of Aug 29 - 2,595

Congrats!

Larry

At that blistering pace the CFC will reach its much bandied about 10,000 membership sometime where? In around 2039?

LOOL!!!

OMG yes indeed, congrats!

Perhaps that 2,595 is just for Ontario?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
      At that blistering pace the CFC will reach its much bandied about 10,000 membership sometime where? In around 2039?

LOOL!!!

OMG yes indeed, congrats!

Perhaps that 2,595 is just for Ontario?

A little disappointed at some success for the CFC, are you?

Comment

I wonder if there's an easy way to count the number of FQE members who have played in a CFC event? Before the CFC-FQE agreement, they would have had CFC memberships as well?

Comment

Well, the 10,000 number was a nice round figure, crafted from thin air, and with no plan to achieve it. Even so, an increase of about 35% over the last four years isn't too shabby.

Personally, I like to count only adult members, and life members. Juniors will age out, and honorary members can be created at will. Counting just life and adult, we went from 1200 in 2015 to 1429 in 2019, that's a 19% increase in four years.

A cynic might point out that we've almost caught up to 2005, and if we continue to grow at the current pace we can expect to reach the dizzy heights of the '90s in a few years.

Comment

I think the harsh comments are a little unfair. There are wonderful tournaments throughout the country to play in, the junior programs are great, and online chess gives great opportunity to those that life in remote areas. Of course growth is great but ultimately serving the current membership is important also.

Finally not counting juniors? Why? To get an adult to commit to buying a membership and playing in tournaments when they don’t have children involved is very difficult. As a matter of fact chasing that kind of member is probably a losing proposition. But when a parent buys 3 memberships for their children, you are building the foundation for real long term sustainable growth. When I see the amazing juniors, parents, and coaches at the CYCC and the CCC and I think chess in Canada is not only in good shape but has a bright future.

Comment

Hi Graham:

Thoughtful comment.......I agree......

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Ken MacDonald View Post

A little disappointed at some success for the CFC, are you?
                He should get used to it. The 10,000 was based on hundreds of organizers taking certain actions to make chess more popular. We weren't even doing those things in Windsor anymore. Now that we have started doing them again we are getting some young adults interested in chess. At our class we had one of our Friday chess kids come back to Friday Chess as an adult. He played in his first tournament in years on the labour day weekend and gained 100+ rating points at the Toronto Open.
                Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 8th September, 2019, 02:30 PM.

Comment

BC tournament participation excluding all-junior events but including players purchasing tournament memberships as of 30 April each year:

2012 - 527 players
                  2013 - 568 players not including 2012 Cdn open
                  2014 - 603 players
                  2015 - 605 players
                  2016 – 724 players
                  2017 – 776 players
                  2018 – 858 players
                  2019 – 1073 players
                  Paul Leblanc
                  Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
                    BC tournament participation excluding all-junior events but including players purchasing tournament memberships as of 30 April each year:

2012 - 527 players
                    2013 - 568 players not including 2012 Cdn open
                    2014 - 603 players
                    2015 - 605 players
                    2016 – 724 players
                    2017 – 776 players
                    2018 – 858 players
                    2019 – 1073 players
                    So that would be 1073 players in all BC tournaments? It looks like the average CFC member player plays in about 3 tournaments per year. Activity has doubled in 7 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post

.....It looks like the average CFC member player plays in about 3 tournaments per year. ....

Sounds low to me but it might depend on what you mean by 'average' player. The graph below was generated in 2010 but I presume similar results would apply today which suggests something like 4-5 tournaments is normal for 'serious' players. Assuming that people will miss a tournament once in a while for various personal reasons, it seems that the 'market' can bear something like 6-7 tournaments a year in a local area.

The same graph also shows that weaker players (sub 1100 players) don't meet the same threshold. I would not interpret this as them playing less often. Rather I think it is juniors who play in one or two events and then quit (to be replaced by more juniors).

At the time (2010), the corresponding graph for BC was quite a bit lower. I attributed that at the time to there not being enough tournaments for people to play in and that the local market could stand to have more events. (Certainly true at the time). Things are much better now in terms of number of events organized so the increase in the numbers Paul quotes can be attributed to some combination of existing players being able to play in the number of events that suit them (not being underserved in number of events) and a general increase in number of players (as shown by increased attendance numbers at particular events.)

Comment

Hi Roger: I now play in the U 1800 generally.....we are often the largest section......interesting that in your graph, the 1800 players players tie for second highest tournament games per year.

Do you count chess club tournaments in your initial data base, or just non-club tournaments?

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                          Hi Roger: I now play in the U 1800 generally.....we are often the largest section......interesting that in your graph, the 1800 players players tie for second highest tournament games per year.

Do you count chess club tournaments in your initial data base, or just non-club tournaments?

Bob A
                          It’s what the graph says. (Regular) Rated games per player per year

Comment

Yes, Vlad. The numbers represent total number of entries in all regular rated BC tournaments for each fiscal year. At this point it looks like 2020 will be higher again.
                            Paul Leblanc
                            Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Working...
                            X