H1N1 Torunament Protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1N1 Torunament Protocol

Has anyone has given thought on how to handle the possible scenario of the refusal to shake hands prior to a tournament game? As I understand, refusal would amount to a game forfeit, but in the case of heightened H1N1 awareness, the refusal may be well warranted. Will a refusal to shake hands be acceptable or is there another alternative (non-contact) gesture that would be acceptable?

Re: H1N1 Torunament Protocol

Originally posted by Tim Bouma View Post
    Has anyone has given thought on how to handle the possible scenario of the refusal to shake hands prior to a tournament game? As I understand, refusal would amount to a game forfeit, but in the case of heightened H1N1 awareness, the refusal may be well warranted. Will a refusal to shake hands be acceptable or is there another alternative (non-contact) gesture that would be acceptable?
    Let me get this straight. You are going to sit within a meter and share the same chess pieces with someone for 4+ hours; but, before you do that, you will refuse to shake their hands?

In any case, as a TD I do not enforce hand shaking rule, and, I'd like to know what other TDs/arbiters think about that.

Comment

I've never had the issue come up, personally... and yeah, when do you think the last time was those chess pieces were sanitized? :)
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

About a week ago, I suggested to Brad Thomson, head of CMA here in Ottawa, that the local kids' tournaments have portable hand sanitizers at every table of four or six kids and that the kids be encouraged to wash their hands with them before their games. He agreed that it would be a good idea. I will also be purchasing one for the tournament I am running this weekend, for people to use if they wish.

That said, I find it suspicious that governments care so much about this H1N1 "epidemic" when almost no one (relatively speaking) has died from it, that the common flu kills thousands worldwide yearly, and that the numbers who die from this thing are highly unlikely to be more than die from, say, smoking each year.

[Edit]Oh ya, and for the last couple of weeks I have been insisting my students and I use the sanitizers before our lessons.
        Last edited by Tom O'Donnell; Wednesday, 2nd September, 2009, 12:43 PM. Reason: addendum
        "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
          About a week ago, I suggested to Brad Thomson, head of CMA here in Ottawa, that the local kids' tournaments have portable hand sanitizers at every table of four or six kids and that the kids be encouraged to wash their hands with them before their games. He agreed that it would be a good idea. I will also be purchasing one for the tournament I am running this weekend, for people to use if they wish.

That said, I find it suspicious that governments care so much about this H1N1 "epidemic" when almost no one (relatively speaking) has died from it, that the common flu kills thousands worldwide yearly, and that the numbers who die from this thing are highly unlikely to be more than die from, say, smoking each year.

[Edit]Oh ya, and for the last couple of weeks I have been insisting my students and I use the sanitizers before our lessons.
          I think that's great, but aren't hand sanitizers only effective against bacteria and not flu viruses? I'll leave the question of how effective they are against bacteria for another time ...

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
            ... and yeah, when do you think the last time was those chess pieces were sanitized? :)
            I have about 400 chess sets, and a few years ago someone asked me how often I washed the pieces. I forget how I answered...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Bouma View Post
              There is always the Howie Mandell knuckle bump (or whatever that is called) ...
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post

They had these in the hospital when I would go to see Yves Casaubon...honestly...I thought it made sense there...but are we not going a little overboard.

When I had my hernia operation in Toronto a few years ago...during the SARS stuff...the group after me (thank god they decided to do this after) had to wear face masks etc.

Sorta reminds me of when I saw the doc a few months ago...I said...I get pains here from time to time...instantly he produced a paper to have a test done...which...I instantly threw in the garbage.

I understand their position...better safe than sorry.

But Tom...I thought you were more practical than that :)...or are you in the better safe than sorry category :) I saw a report recently that would scare the safer than sorry folks ...totally lifeless :)

Larry

Comment

Re : H1N1 Torunament Protocol

If my opponent would tell me that he doesn't want to shake my hand because he is sick, I wouldn't shake his hand...

And if someone really wants to shake his opponent hand, well I think it is his problem...

There is a few problems with this flu:
                  -First, it is frequent that a flu suddently becomes more deadly or more contagious because it adapted to new conditions...
                  - Then, you have a lot more chance of dying if you are infected by the H1N1 than any other flu.
                  - And, of course, this epidemic really scares some people, and if the government wouldn't do anything, these people might want to elect a new government ( I heard that Ignatief would maybe like to have elections this autumn...).

Comment

Maybe we should all wear plastic gloves when we sit down to play?

And remember - one of the greatest depositories of germs are door knobs, handles, or whatever you use to open a door. (as well as flush handles)

Comment

Re: H1N1 Tornament Protocol - Get Real!

Shake hands and stop worrying. If one thing doesn't kill you another will...

As with the "AIDS industry," "anti-poverty industry," the "anti-smoking industry", the "environment industry," the "religion or faith based industry," the 'recycling industry" etc., we also have the "virus industry." It doesn't matter if the H1N1 kills only a few or several thousand people. What matters most is $$$! WHO, drug companies, medical establishments, the media, politicians & lobbyists all vie for more and more money in order to keep their revenues, influence and power base intact. We, the 'Sheeple' are instructed to either fear or support a cause based on the strategic and often brilliant marketing campaigns of these scumbag organizations.

Remember the avian "Bird Flu" scare?" Many actually made a decent living off the fear and dread of it. Millions, if not billions were spent on education and prevention. Yet, there is no such virus that passes from human to human, despite the fact that we were all conned into believing that there was such a thing.

As George Carlin so aptly put it: "Remember, it's all BS and it's bad for you!"

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                        I've never had the issue come up, personally... and yeah, when do you think the last time was those chess pieces were sanitized? :)
                        I use Clorox Disinfecting Wipes for surfaces. They are wet. If a player is worried about sanitizing pieces he can wipe them down. It gives a list of what it kills on the container. Swine Flu isn't mentioned but I have had this box of 35 since before the Swine Flu was an issue.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

But Tom...I thought you were more practical than that :)...or are you in the better safe than sorry category :) I saw a report recently that would scare the safer than sorry folks ...totally lifeless :)

Larry
                          I am in the "I don't want to get sued" category. ;-) Nowadays it seems people will sue anyone, anytime over just about anything.
                          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

I often find myself losing sleep over just this question at night....

Comment

If your opponent refuses to shake hands because he's sick you'll still get the same result from touching pieces he moved. Its not like we can stop the spread of viruses.

Comment

Working...
                              X