2020 Canada Women Zonal & Canadian Closed & Easter Sectionals (U2200/U1900/U1600)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Canada Women Zonal & Canadian Closed & Easter Sectionals (U2200/U1900/U1600)

2020 Kingston Easter Chess (2020 KEC)
    2020 Canada Women Zonal & Canadian Closed & Easter Sectionals (U2200/U1900/U1600)
    2020-04-09 - 2020-04-13

flyer(s) posted at: eoca.ca
    (press ctrl-F5 to refresh)

FINALLY, we're rolling live! Here's some highlights:

- all five sections rated both FIDE & CFC
    - hotel deals include free parking & free breakfasts
    - virtually continuous supply of ice water & coffee
    - easy hotel booking, with your registration, one total payment
    - staying at the event hotel saves $50 off your registration
    - hotel rates through the tournament are unbelievably low
    - total prizes already at $12,750 (based on last year's attendance)
    - direct titles to be won in Women Zonal section (all females welcome)
    - performance titles possible in Canadian Closed section (2200 rating floor)
    - minimum $1000 1st place prize for every section
    - wonderful tournament direction team (and me)
    - superior live broadcast of at least top 4 boards
    - already 3 Canadian GMs have committed

I'll be at the Ontario Juniors this weekend, in case anyone has questions.
    Otherwise, please feel free to email me: arismarghetis at rogers dot com

P.S. Always looking to engage "house players", to ensure everyone gets a properly rated game every round, looking especially for local players!

Thank you, best regards,
    Aris Marghetis, President, EOCA
    (Eastern Ontario Chess Association)

Any cancellation policy?

Comment

Originally posted by Grey Guo View Post
      Any cancellation policy?
      OK, up to the day before, for $20.

Comment

I am moving this here from another older thread:

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
        Aris, a very nice-looking event! Last year I assisted you in running it, and that was successful all round. This year I am considering playing! Just wondering about byes: I do have other things to do that weekend, so if I were to request byes in rounds 2, 4 and 6, would that get me half-point byes for each, or would some be zero-point byes?
        Hello Frank, that would be nice to have you as a player. Within the flyer at eoca.ca, it explains the byes. For one of the Sectionals (U1900 in your case), you can request at registration up to three half-point byes, within rounds 1 through 7. So if I understand your request correctly, you would be fine. Please email me to register. Please do not send money yet, there's no real bills yet to pay.

Best, Aris.

Comment

This event will rock! I am so looking forward to it. As a long standing advocate for Women's Chess I really hope that the Women's Zonal will shatter all previous attendance records. I met with WGM Anna Burtasova on Wednesday and she looks forward to playing. She has to finish her work at the Candidate's Tournament in Yekaterinburg, Russia, hopefully returning April 5.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
            This event will rock! I am so looking forward to it. As a long standing advocate for Women's Chess I really hope that the Women's Zonal will shatter all previous attendance records. I met with WGM Anna Burtasova on Wednesday and she looks forward to playing. She has to finish her work at the Candidate's Tournament in Yekaterinburg, Russia, hopefully returning April 5.
            Yeah, we're off to a great registration start! I was a bit slow posting about it, but in the few days since, we've welcomed 3 GMs, almost 40 players, 6 ladies, and already booked 50% of the hotel room nights that we had in total last year! For those of you who emailed me over the weekend, I was at the Ontario Juniors, and driving home today, so hope to confirm back to you this evening.

Comment

Are there pre-reg lists anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                Are there pre-reg lists anywhere?
                Hello Hugh, so far, only on my laptop lol.

I've just been crazy busy with so many emails of interest (another GM this weekend), and the Ontario Juniors. I'll try to start (and continue) posting within the next few days, stay tuned here!

Comment

I'll be playing at the RA tonight, if anyone wants to register, or just ask questions.

I can take payments, but I don't really need them yet, no bills yet to pay anyhow.

You can also leave me your email address, and I'll directly send you the event flyer.

Going very well, already over 50 players, and already over 150 hotel room nights.

Thank you, best regards, Aris Marghetis.

Comment

Hello again, as you might imagine, I'm doing dozens of emails daily for this event. That's fine, I love what we're building, but quite a few families keep insisting on asking for their kid(s) to play up. So just that we're all in sync, I don't do playing up. It's just a personal philosophy, and borne out of respect for the top players, who qualify for the top section. If after you register then your rating rises enough, then of course you'll be moved up. Otherwise, EVERYONE plays at their proven level.

Respectfully, Aris.

Comment

It is a balencing act. We want more entries but to not water down the top section.

Players travel far and the improving kids want free chess lessons. But the masters have also travelled far to meet other strong players, some who they haven't played before. Every game for them should be worthwhile. It will affect the final standings while some masters battle each other to draws, a few other masters will get a couple of rounds of easy points.

A parent would have to provide evidence of the ability to play at master level. For example, in smaller regions the ratings are lower. Could also look at provincial and national youth champions.

Comment

We are looking at FIDE and CFC ratings (and FQE if from Quebec). That's what we feel is right for this event. And people seem generally supportive of this.
                        Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Monday, 27th January, 2020, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Chess should a perfect rule based world, just follow the rules, the only exception should be if the rule not make any sense (or the rule was wrong), then we can discuss to change the rule. Section design and play up rule is the right of organizer, stay with it and it's same for everyone.

Comment

At the other end, the oldest players, some of them have been over 2200 for many years, maybe even have a FM title, but may have recently dipped under 2200. Some active players bounce back and forth, over and under 2200. There is an argument for inclusion if they apply. The rigid rules could be broken for a couple of exceptional cases, but then the flood gates might open with "what about my child?"

Comment

Stop trying to mess things up! Leave it up to the organizers....they are the ones trying to satisfy their "customers", not a few posters on here!
                              Fred Harvey

Comment

Working...
                              X