Last Round Byes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Round Byes

A USCF player asked me about taking a half point bye in the last round of one of our tournaments, declared on registration.
    I was wondering what the common practice is in other CFC tournaments. We normally only allow zero point byes in the last round.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    A USCF player asked me about taking a half point bye in the last round of one of our tournaments, declared on registration.
    I was wondering what the common practice is in other CFC tournaments. We normally only allow zero point byes in the last round.
    I strongly agree with you Paul, but in some parts of the States, it's common practice to offer last-round byes. I don't get it, but it seems normal down there.

Comment

In Alberta, you can only take a zero point bye in the last round and a maximum of 2 half point byes during the tournament.

Comment

In Manitoba, if we allow them, they usually must be declared 3 to 4 rounds before the requested round.

Comment

Aurora Opens - first four rounds - 1/2 point byes if requested before pairings are done. Many players take a break in the third round (Saturday night), and than get more or less equal opponents in R4. The last round - zero points for not playing. No fuss here - those who take a leave don't contend money prices anymore, and not a big deal for them what the actual place on the crosstable.

Comment

There should be no such thing as a "last round bye" - you withdraw, and forfeit any prize chances. (there have been cases of players getting a zero-point last-round bye - and collecting a prize - which should not be allowed).

In any case - even half-point byes (in the earlier rounds) should only be allowed if requested before the tournament starts

Comment

Hugh, what is the argument for not allowing cash prizes to be awarded to players taking 0-point last round byes?

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                Hugh, what is the argument for not allowing cash prizes to be awarded to players taking 0-point last round byes?
                Why should a player be allowed to relax in the last round while his competition is working hard by playing? And still collect cash? It might be considered if the zero-point bye was requested before the tournament, and all players are aware of it at the start.

(in the last Ottawa tournament, IM David Cummings took a zero-point last round bye - but finished out of the money. With a draw, he would have won something. (1) Was his bye requested before the tournament? (2) Were the other players aware of it? (3) Would he have gotten a prize if his score had been high enough?)

Comment

I think I'm coming more fom Brad's angle on this: if a player takes a 0-point bye without harming pairings, etc., why should be begrudge him his prize? And I don't get the reference to Cummings, as he finished out of the money. Like I don't get the relevance of the questions after that, as he voluntarily took himself out of the money. Maybe I'm missing something, feel free to explain that again.

Thanks, Aris.

Comment

Then we could discuss example of two players having 4 points and sharing prize money.
                    One player played all 5 games and other took two 0.5 byes in first two rounds.
                    Should player who played all 5 games be rewarded more or equally for his effort and result than player who played only 3 games?

Comment

There is no perfect way to cover all cases, just need make the rule simple and fit for most cases.

From my own view as organizer, I prefer to encourage players to respect the tournament and other players, and the best way to show your respection is to show up at the board.

So my preference is
                      For a four or five rounds tournament, up to one 1/2 bye before last round, otherwise 0 point bye
                      For a six or more rounds tournament, up to two 1/2 byes before last two rounds, otherwise 0 point bye
                      Prize is based on accumulated points, no matter play the last round or not (but definitely need request bye if not play)

Last edited by Grey Guo; Wednesday, 29th January, 2020, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                        There should be no such thing as a "last round bye" - you withdraw, and forfeit any prize chances. (there have been cases of players getting a zero-point last-round bye - and collecting a prize - which should not be allowed).
                        Wouldn't this encourage a player who wanted that last round bye to just not request the bye, show up and allow scholars mate?

I'm all for 0 point last round byes, but refusing a prize to a player who should receive one for taking them seems wrong to me.

Comment

If a Player asks for a Last Round Bye before the tournament even starts. It must mean that they have a commitment that cannot be changed. So I feel that if ie a 6 Rd tournament and they have 5.0 after 5 rounds then they should get a prize if possible.

However if a player asks for a last round bye after Tournament has started then I do not believe they should get a prize.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                            Why should a player be allowed to relax in the last round while his competition is working hard by playing? And still collect cash?
                            I am not sure that he should. But why should he not be? I do not have an opinion yet, I am looking for some plausible reasoning to support either side of the debate.

Comment

If the player quits (don't sugar coat like a bye request in the last round) - he quits the tournament including the right to a prize. Pairings are different with / without a such player as results of games make a different final crosstable and a prize distribution.

Anyway, the organizer sets these rules.

Comment

Working...
                              X