Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My return to the chess world

Hi everyone,

Over the last 10+ years, I had to take a break from chess playing for two main reasons, one being my work, and the other being that having a young family makes it hard to play in tournaments, especially when you have an all-consuming job. I spent ten years at a hedge fund called Alpine Associates, had some great and not so great times (mostly great!), and voluntarily left, in large part to make more time for family and enjoy life. I then founded my own advisory firm in order to be able to take on clients. Little did I know that around the same time, I would be presented with a unique opportunity to leverage my chess and business skills as part of the PlayMagnus group of companies which includes chess24, Chessable, and PlayMagnus. My official title is as head of North America for chess24, and the goal in large part is to create more content for the North American market - in the form of hiring a team of interesting streamers and content creators, have fun live broadcasts especially during the largest tournaments like the Candidates and World Championships, create and promote video series, etc.

There is no question that from my earliest days at Chess N Math to today, I have loved chess. I've been playing blitz online all these years and following top games, but I just never had time to play. I finally have one event on the calendar for the summer and I'm hoping to add more.

It was a coincidence I did not fail to notice that many of the people at the company were longtime friends, from Lefong Hua to Laurent Fressinet, Dmitri Shneider and John Bartholomew at Chessable, etc. I had also had the opportunity to host many events with Magnus Carlsen in NY.

In any case, I have a lot more of my "story" to tell, which will happen in due time in some way (I'm still figuring that out!) however, I did want to bring up that I myself am doing a lot of events online, including today, and so is Lefong! The schedule is pretty amazing GM Fressinet is finishing up, GM Svidler follows, then GM Shankland at 3 PM, "Famous Legend" Kamsky at 4 PM, Alex Lenderman at 5 PM, yours truly at 6:30 PM, Lefong at 8 PM, GM Irina Krush at 9:30 PM to wrap up the day.

Note that watching all these is free (and you can watch on chess24.com, or on our youtube / twitch channels) - however, I would encourage you to sign up for premium which gives access to all our video series, analysis features etc. I created a discount code (15% off) for chesstalk users : CHESSTALK2020 - but you can also use Lefong's Bh6 - using one of these helps us keep track of how we're doing in some ways and saves you a few bucks!

I also try to be very interactive in the chats (I mostly follow the chess24 and twitch chats at the moment, but trying to follow more as I get more acquainted with everything) and so if you have any questions, tune in and hit me up.

I look forward to speaking with many of you!

Pascal

Good news!

Comment

Welcome back,looking forward to following your games again. You were a great Canadian Champion. I still love the game that you beat Anand. A fantastic achievement. Good Luck

Comment

Great to see Pascal back. Those are nice discounts for Chess24, but personally, I renewed mine for 3 years during 'Black Friday' and saved a ridiculous amount. I think 40%.
        As you know Jan and Peter make a lot of Canadian references. I believe they were unable to come up with 5 Canadian cities in one of their Banter sessions. Bon chance!

Comment

Welcome back Pascal!

Comment

Hans, Ian, Larry, Ken

Thanks very much. It's good to be back!

Ian - you are absolutely right that we will run promotions for black Friday. It's also safe to say there are bigger discount codes during the very big tournaments too like the Candidates and World Championship. One possibility is to sign up monthly and then use the bigger codes then, and another is to sign up for a year with a discount now, and then renew for a long period of time when there is a great code.

The worst and really unthinkable option is to not sign up at all :-)

We spoke about some of Jan and Peter's Canadian references when I filmed the first round broadcast of Wijk Aan Zee. Peter Svidler was very kind and funny, and I hope to work with him again soon. I had met Jan socially many times in the early 2000's when I started spending time in NY, so I already knew him well. We have a really high quality team, and hopefully it can continue to thrive! Hope you were able to tune in yesterday. Gata Kamsky in particular I find extremely helpful in his commentary.

All best,
            Pascal

Comment

Pascal,

Let me give you and Chess24 an unsolicited plug...with a bit of criticism thrown in.

I tell people the videos there alone are priceless. My favourites are Dvoretsky, Yusupov and some of Jan's opening vidoes. Robin Van Kamp also gave a couple of nice ones, and of course Magnus's video on attacking without sacrificing, has some of his great games and great to hear his thoughts. I see Magnus has a new Video on the Stonewall. I will watch it right after this post.
              There are a few opening videos with some not so obvious mistakes, so buyer beware. A few years ago, when I had a coach, I would use the Chess24 Opening video as a basis for an opening lesson, and to be fair, I probably spent much more time on analysing the opening than the person doing it. In any opening video or book,

I have played Svidler (0-2), Gustaffson (0-2), Van Wely (0-2), and Sielecki (.5-1.5) in the Banter blitz. I had very enjoyable games and learned something in each game. They tend to pick players they have not played before, so I do not challenge them anymore, but the chance to play someone of that quality is a huge plus. Is Gata Kamsky going to be a regular? Yes, he had many pearls of wisdom.

I often follow the commentary by Jan and Peter for big chess events and it might be the best there is. I do enjoy participating in the chat and often there are players such as GM Eric Lobron (Yardbird) or GM Suat Atalik also chatting. Mr Dodgy can be funny, but I also find him a bit tiring at times.. Peter Leko and his Fischer stories were very entertaining, and I have only seen you, Pascal, once, but you were also excellent. The addition of Laurent Fressinet was huge. He compliments Peter and Jan with his opening knowledge.

My criticisms are firstly that the online tournaments are mediocre at best. Hard to beat the strong players that play at Lichess or the Titled Tuesdays at Chess.com. On Chess24, I often get crushed by 1700 players in tournaments, whom I am not sure if they are cheating or just have not got there rating up yet, but sadly, I suspect a lot of cheating. I also find the Tactics Training the best on Chess Tempo, followed by Chess.com.

Chess24 is the only site I pay for and I am a member for about 3 more years. I think Chess24 is the best site out there, but it is not the best in every area. It is exciting to see the Chess24 team grow and Pascal, you are a great addition.

Comment

Hi Pascal
                Could to see you back in chess. A question on chess24 do you have any kind of family package. I currently play and I have 3 children all of whom are diamond members on chess.com. My fourth is 6 and still on chesskid. Do you have any kind of deals for 4-5 memberships from same family? Thanks

Comment

Ian,

Thanks for the feedback, plug, and constructive criticism, which should always be welcome.

I agree that for the videos alone, many of which are tremendous, the price of admission is worth it (in my opinion) .. Dvoretsky, especially since he passed too early, is noteworthy. But there are many other cool videos such as the ones you mention and more from people who don't create a lot of content elsewhere, and not at that price. It should also come as no surprise that paying for premium helps support the site which does attempt to give away as much free content as possible.

The banter blitzes are a fun concept and we're always in the process of fine tuning things. Let me know your screenname (if you don't mind) and I will at least give Jan a heads up and perhaps you will get another game or two sooner than you think. With regards to Gata Kamsky, it is my hope that he will be a regular. Feedback has been great, and I've known him for a long time. We had a few training sessions back in Brooklyn ages ago, and he had played in Montreal at the Montreal International in or around 2006 (I could be off on the year).

Commentary feedback generally has been positive, and I appreciate your points. I'll be involved with a lot of content, and for the candidates for example I will be creating daily content that can be watched at any time following the games including fun concepts (can tell you more privately, if you like) - the goal is to augment the amazing live commentary which will for the Candidates feature Kramnik (who incidentally is also worth every penny you have to pay, which in this case is zero penny...but he would be worth much much more!!) by providing quicker media formats for people who may not be able to tune in live. There'll be clips from the live broadcast, more analysis, and a few new concepts.

I enjoy doing banter blitz - and I'd love to get more Canadians tuning in and interacting in the chat! That's always free, too.

Your criticism hits at relevant points. We will have a new playzone relatively soon that I hope will address those concerns, emphasizing tournaments and their importance. Even in my relatively new tenure there, I have heard that. Also general improvements to the UI/UX of the playzone itself are needed (and being worked on) We are coming out with a new website dashboard / layout around the Candidates, and there are more new products too, like "tactics frenzy" which just came out this week on either iPhone or Android. So far I find the puzzles to be really good in the "trainer" version (which is free, though the landing page will be updated at some point I guess. Try it out if you want and I'd welcome feedback there.

Please keep in touch!

Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Graham Sorgard View Post
                    Hi Pascal
                    Could to see you back in chess. A question on chess24 do you have any kind of family package. I currently play and I have 3 children all of whom are diamond members on chess.com. My fourth is 6 and still on chesskid. Do you have any kind of deals for 4-5 memberships from same family? Thanks
                    Hi Graham,

I will send you a private message and try to make things better for a family such as yours.

Pascal

Comment

Pascal, great to see you back and active in Chess again! While I was just considering your discount for Chess24 I realized that the annual subscription is approximately the same as subscribing to New In Chess. I have subscribed to NIC for several years but I have to admit many pages of many issues remain unread... Perhaps videos and the like are the way to go?

I thought you might explore the contrast between online media and print media.... :)

regards.
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Good to see you back in chess! I don't knpw you personnaly but I have heard many goods things regarding your personality, your talent and your generosity.

Welcome back, Grand Master Charbonneau!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our 3 next tournaments are:

1) Le Maskoutains ouvert d'échecs, May 8-9-10 of 2020 in St-Hyacinthe;

2) L'OPEN de Sherbrooke, May 29-30-31 of 2020 in Sherbrooke;

3) Le Championnat ouvert du Québec 2020, July 25-31 of 2020 in Longueuil.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click image for larger version  Name:	conception-sans-titre-11_2_orig (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	16.4 KB ID:	204876
                        Sylvain Courtemanche

Comment

Working...
                        X