COVID-19 ... how we cope :)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Florida is the 15th state to go over 1% population infected.

    Comment


    • Georgia is the 16th state to go over 1% population infected.

      Comment


      • Alabama is the 17th state to go over 1% of population infected.

        Comment


        • Eventually every state will go over 1% of population infected.

          Comment


          • I have faith that a vaccine will be found before that happens.

            Comment


            • South Carolina is the 18th state to go over 1% of population infected.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                I have faith that a vaccine will be found before that happens.
                I wouldn't hold my breath (although I would like to be hopeful). Even if a vaccine is discovered or developed, there will have to be a LOT of trials to determine that it is not harmful - those take a lot of time... Any vaccine has to be associated with specific instances of the virus - it may not be (as) effective on variations or mutations of the virus... etc.
                Then there will be zillions of people (many in the U.S. who will see the vaccine as some sort of continuation of various conspiracy theories - imagine if China developed a vaccine??) and then it will be somehow associated with 5g wireless networks or Huwawei or whatever sludge there is in some people's feeble minds.

                We are a LONG way from getting back to anything resembling the previous "normal".

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

                  I wouldn't hold my breath (although I would like to be hopeful). Even if a vaccine is discovered or developed, there will have to be a LOT of trials to determine that it is not harmful - those take a lot of time... Any vaccine has to be associated with specific instances of the virus - it may not be (as) effective on variations or mutations of the virus... etc.
                  Then there will be zillions of people (many in the U.S. who will see the vaccine as some sort of continuation of various conspiracy theories - imagine if China developed a vaccine??) and then it will be somehow associated with 5g wireless networks or Huwawei or whatever sludge there is in some people's feeble minds.

                  We are a LONG way from getting back to anything resembling the previous "normal".
                  Kerry, I would also prefer to be hopeful, but I share your concerns. Once-in-a-century epic mess.

                  Comment


                  • While other countries started to play OTB chess again, here in the York region masks will become mandatory on July 17th and effective till the end of November. Not good signs for chess at all.




                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

                      Kerry, I would also prefer to be hopeful, but I share your concerns. Once-in-a-century epic mess.
                      I just hope it is only once in a century... :) Although I am not sure I will see the turn of the current century... :(

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        While other countries started to play OTB chess again, here in the York region masks will become mandatory on July 17th and effective till the end of November. Not good signs for chess at all.



                        You don't expect people to be willing to wear masks ? I think the bigger problem is finding places to play. OTB tournament chess is restarting in Maine, very shortly.
                        http://chessmaine.net/chessmaine/events/

                        Comment


                        • Over 70,000 new cases in the U.S. today. One of the most bizarre issues over there is Trump's unwillingness to be publicly photographed wearing a mask. It's such an incredibly easy move to wear a mask and to encourage everyone else to do so; it'd save lives and boost his approval rating, but he somehow has managed to fuck even this up. Pretty sad to see.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                            While other countries started to play OTB chess again, here in the York region masks will become mandatory on July 17th and effective till the end of November. Not good signs for chess at all.
                            I think if folks wear a mask and use hand sanitizer ... game on.

                            It's time.

                            Comment


                            • The entire US has reached 1% population infected.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                                The entire US has reached 1% population infected.
                                Yup, I was watching for this milestone as well.

                                Yesterday's numbers
                                USA
                                New Cases - 71,787
                                Deaths - 849

                                Canada
                                New Cases - 321
                                Deaths - 10

                                So keep that border closed.

                                At the current rate, USA should hit 2% infected in about 2 months, with deaths nearing 200,000.


                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X