Saint Louis Chess Club reopens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saint Louis Chess Club reopens

"Saint Louis Chess Club Executive Director Tony Rich announces our reopening on Monday, June 22, 2020 and explains our new safety measures."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uju9dslYyg

A good model to follow.

Comment

Those acrylic barriers/partitions look interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
        Those acrylic barriers/partitions look interesting.
        Yes, I agree. I would love to get a closer look, to see how normal it feels to reach, for example, to promote a pawn. If you or anyone else knows of someone sourcing them, I would be interested.

Thanks, best, Aris.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

Yes, I agree. I would love to get a closer look, to see how normal it feels to reach, for example, to promote a pawn. If you or anyone else knows of someone sourcing them, I would be interested.

Thanks, best, Aris.
          Time scrambles might be fun to watch...
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I own a acrylic fabrication business ...since '91. Started in first year Uni (Architecture) :) In 2000 I merged it with my graphic design firm ...thought to compete with the likes of Canus Plastics here in Ottawa.

Fortunately, as most of our clients went to China our graphics took over most of our billable hours.

But I still dabble in acrylics for some of the few remaining clients. I like to design & build stuff! BTW, one of my fav 'chess' clients is/was Strategy Games. We did some amazing table top book stands in the form of elongated rooks that were folded to accommodate holding a book in the upright position! Still have the form for those some back in the shop ...time to reorder, Larry.

Anywho...

I don't know who did those ...my guess (and hope) is that they were done local. Give the Saint Louis CC a call.

They look quite simple. Maybe a bit to high ... height would be determined not only by safety requirements but also by sheet yield. Those look like they were cnc'd from 1/4" acrylic (could be 3/16" dunno) or more common down their way ...Lucite.

What interest me is the overall design.

If the sides were fixed with something like methylene chloride they would not be removable. I would suggest the sides be interconnected by slotting one with the other. In that manner they could flat-packed for 1) easy storage 2) easy transportation 3) easy / less expensive replacement ...just as easy to sanitize. Perhaps they were going for a more rigid construction.

Anywho...

Give 'em a call.

Surprising L.B. doesn't already have a shipping container packed full of these coming up from Mexico ... he must be slipping.

HA!

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

Time scrambles might be fun to watch...
              Promoting a pawn would be fun to watch too ...in a time scramble!

Ha!

Comment

How are the chess pieces cleaned every two hours? The dividers, chairs, table top and pieces are sprayed?

Comment

Hi Neil,

How much would it cost for a dozen of these partitions?

Larry

Comment

Hey hey heyyy L.B. sup yo???

I can't quite say for sure. I paused that vid you linked at the 50 second mark to get a look at how much material one unit would need and guesstimated the following ...

If those are 2.25 inch squares on that vinyl board and the board size is about 20 inches wide and if that space off to the side of the board is 3 inches and then another 5 inches of acrylic to where those 'flanges' are fixed and then another 5 inches past that(?) ... I'd guess that that main vertical section is about 48 inches wide and about 40 inches high. That height is hard to judge.

Add to that those 'partition flanges' which seem, in total to be as wide as that 28 inch wide table (makes sense) ... 14" wide 40" high on each side ... two per side ... four in total.

So if I had to guess ... one unit per 4' x 8' (48" x 96") sheet. Add labor cost and I'd guess that they would be about 225.00-275.00 each depending on sheet thickness.

Perhaps reach out to the Saint Louis CC for some detailed unit photos and dimensions?

I happen to have a sheet of 3/16 laying around in the shop begging to get cut up. Might just do a prototype, ha!

Interesting that street side cafes don't use partitions ... simply enforce 6 feet between each section of table and chairs.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/sci...al-distancing/
                    https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...g?resize=768:*

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Monday, 22nd June, 2020, 11:11 PM.

Comment

If tennis players got infected what we can expect to happen to chess players? I think that barriers are not going to be sufficient protection.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/53148053

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Starks View Post
                        If tennis players got infected what we can expect to happen to chess players? I think that barriers are not going to be sufficient protection.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/53148053
                        I think the tennis players had a lot of close contact at photo ops, by shaking hands and mingling at 'ceremonies'
                        - all things that COULD have been dispensed with or at least controlled better.
                        I doubt actually playing tennis was the problem.

...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I would like chess to start up again ASAP.

From the Icelandic Chess website I saw that on Saturday June 6 they ran the school team championship and it was run normally. The arbiters had all adults out of the room during play, including team officials. No other pandemic measures were mentioned. There were no special measures with the chess pieces, boards or other equipment reported.

The Reykjavik Chess Club (TR) started the 15+5 Tuesday night tournaments June 16th. TR is open to all ages. These 7 round Tuesday evenings run just like they were done before the plague and no pandemic measures were reported on wrt the two events that have been completed.

Comment

Originally posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post

From the Icelandic Chess website I saw that on Saturday June 6 they ran the school team championship and it was run normally. The arbiters had all adults out of the room during play, including team officials. No other pandemic measures were mentioned. There were no special measures with the chess pieces, boards or other equipment reported.

The Reykjavik Chess Club (TR) started the 15+5 Tuesday night tournaments June 16th. TR is open to all ages. These 7 round Tuesday evenings run just like they were done before the plague and no pandemic measures were reported on the two events that have been completed.
                            Iceland had a large outbreak, but never closed down, no masks. Through massive testing and tracing with phone app they were able to quarantine those who had Covid without symptoms. Only 10 dead. And now there are open to tourist with test results or 2-week isolation.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...he-coronavirus

Comment

Originally posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post

Halldor

Which if any of the following would you employ if you were to start up soon
                              Wearing of masks
                              Hand sanitizing (perhaps on entry to room)
                              Piece sanitizing (perhaps after every game)
                              Table and chair sanitization (perhaps after every game)

I know some places have employed two chess sets and the players 2 metres or more apart, but that doesn't seem practical in a serious tournament.

Comment

Working...
                              X