New CFC Life Members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CFC Life Members

I just received the list of players who purchased CFC Life Memberships during the fiscal year ending April 30th.
    Congratulations to:
    Ted Speevak, ON
    Tim Pradzinski, AB
    Jason Manley, NB
    Ian Loadman, ON
    Xuzhao (Kevin) Chen, BC
    David Wilson-Grange, ON
    Jeremy Sztuka, ON
    Januario Moscatel, ON
    Ismail Ibrahim, ON
    Jeff Madge, ON
    Chris Tapping, ON
    Raymond Pilon, NB
    Bertrand Windt, ON
    Roval L. Magsino, SK
    Brett Campbell, ON

Life membership fees are invested by the Chess Foundation of Canada and income earned forms a significant part of the CFC's operating budget.
    Last year the Foundation contributed over $12,000 to the CFC budget.
    Consider a life membership. You will never have to renew again!

Paul Leblanc
    Chess Foundation of Canada
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Was watching the cyber-thriller NEXT last night (rogue AI!),
    being fought by another tech-genius, billionaire.....Paul LeBlanc!

Comment

how much us a life membership?

Comment

Originally posted by Henri Hughes View Post
        https://www.chess.ca/en/players/memb...fe-memberships

Comment

For someone who your age that plays like you it would be worth it. Especially if you get 30 years out of it. I did the math a few years ago and figured out a life memberhip for me would be the same as paying annually so I jumped on it

Comment

1977 at my first fulltime job and one of my first pay cheques I purchased a life membership. Some of my fellow chess players thought I was crazy - a whole pay cheque for a life membership. Ive played tournament chess all those 43 years since. a great investment.

Comment

Summer 1965 - poor university student, working at a seasonal full-time job in the summer with a landscape company
              - My good friend, Phil Haley, urged that I buy a lifetime membership if I intended to play in future (I had played tournament chess for only 1 year at that time; no junior experience)
              - I quote Hans: "a great investment" (Played now for 55 years!)
              - caused me to later get an Ontario Chess Association Lifetime Membership

Bob A

Comment

Phil Haley - a complete class act as long as I knew him. Did so much good for so many people. Good memories. Thanks for that Bob.

Comment

Some History

Phil Haley - the gentleman's gentleman - I was 20 y.o. when I met Phil and we started playing casual chess together regularly in Sarnia, Ontario........I'm not even sure how old Phil was at the time, but to me, quite old. His wife, Betty-June, always had sandwiches ready when I came over. He took me to a few USA tournaments in Detroit, so I got a USCF rating (I am now a senior member).

Phil & Betty-June, and I, became lifelong friends. They'd often take me out for a dinner when we'd show up at the same chess tournament. I still e-mail with Betty-June (Now in long-term care).

A wonderful experience in my life!

Bob A

Comment

Back in 1981(?) I won the Canadian Cadet. Due to some sort of screwup on FIDE's part, I could not play so the CFC asked me what I wanted in compensation. I asked for a chess clock and a life membership. Instead they sent me to the World Open and Canadian Open. Roughly a decade later I became an IM and got the life membership free. Moral of the story: if you think you can make the IM title, don't pay for the life membership. ;-)
                    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

will consider in the future dont have the ability for such a method at this time, perhaps ill consider toms approach

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
                        Back in 1981(?) I won the Canadian Cadet. Due to some sort of screwup on FIDE's part, I could not play so the CFC asked me what I wanted in compensation. I asked for a chess clock and a life membership. Instead they sent me to the World Open and Canadian Open. Roughly a decade later I became an IM and got the life membership free. Moral of the story: if you think you can make the IM title, don't pay for the life membership. ;-)
                        Reason 32 to become an IM !!

BTW, are titled players ( IM+) still exempted from fees for CFC life memberships ? Curious, since I couldn't find anything here : https://www.chess.ca/en/players/membership-fees/

Comment

Originally posted by Amit R View Post

Reason 32 to become an IM !!

BTW, are titled players ( IM+) still exempted from fees for CFC life memberships ? Curious, since I couldn't find anything here : https://www.chess.ca/en/players/membership-fees/
                          Hello Amit, not sure I get your question, I believe that Tom is saying he pays nothing since becoming IM.

Added: oh, maybe you meant, is that still the exemption for NEW IM+, and the answer to that is still YES.
                          Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Wednesday, 28th October, 2020, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

Hello Amit, not sure I get your question, I believe that Tom is saying he pays nothing since becoming IM.

Added: oh, maybe you meant, is that still the exemption for NEW IM+, and the answer to that is still YES.
                            Yes, that was my question ; thank you for clarifying.

Comment

will consider in the future dont have the ability for such a method at this time, perhaps ill consider toms approach
                              Go Henri, you can make it

Comment

Working...
                              X