Vaccine Pre-Requisite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaccine Pre-Requisite

Thinking about how the vaccine will affect return to OTB events.
    What do people think about making vaccination a pre-requisite to entering a chess tournament, at least
    until we have confirmation that herd immunity has been achieved?
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

That's a good question. I suspect that many if not most activities, will follow the lead of government administrative protocols. My prediction is there will be vaccine/immunity passports.

I think vaccine passports are more likely than immunity passports. This is because the latter probably need B-cell/T-cell testing vs. simpler antibody testing (COVID-19 antibodies fade).

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
      What do people think about making vaccination a pre-requisite to entering a chess tournament, at least
      I have been thinking about that for the Banff Open, scheduled mid November. It might be a good idea, so long as it is not in violation of anyone's human rights. I would hate to get sued.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post

I have been thinking about that for the Banff Open, scheduled mid November. It might be a good idea, so long as it is not in violation of anyone's human rights. I would hate to get sued.
        The decision to take a vaccine is a personal decision between a patient and his Dr. No one has the right to pressure a healthy non contagious person into taking a rushed and therefore potentially very dangerous vaccine. These vaccines are still part of a trial and the recipients are in effect human guinea pigs.
        i would never willingly take a COVID19 vaccine and would have no compunction to sue any business, govt entity or organizer trying to dictate what medications go into my body.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post

The decision to take a vaccine is a personal decision between a patient and his Dr. No one has the right to pressure a healthy non contagious person into taking a rushed and therefore potentially very dangerous vaccine. These vaccines are still part of a trial and the recipients are in effect human guinea pigs.
          i would never willingly take a COVID19 vaccine and would have no compunction to sue any business, govt entity or organizer trying to dictate what medications go into my body.

Personally, I don't want to take the vaccine either, at least until it is in version 2.0 or 3.0 and is widely known to be effective and safe.

But you might as well be saying that no one has the right to make you pay income tax. The government passes laws, and the citizens obey or pay the price. If the federal government wherever you reside made it law next month that we take the vaccine, you would have to emigrate to avoid it, and if it became law in many countries, you may find yourself living much like Bobby Fischer in his later years. Don;t think this is out of the realm of possibility. All kinds of things could be coming that will make your head spin. It looks like 2021 will be a year of ravaged economies worldwide, vaccine or not. We can hope for things to get better but the sky is darkening.

Comment

I think it is a good idea. The pre-req of having taken a vaccine to be allowed to enter is already in use.

https://www.visitbarbados.org/covid-...uidelines-2020

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

I think it is a good idea. The pre-req of having taken a vaccine to be allowed to enter is already in use.

https://www.visitbarbados.org/covid-...uidelines-2020
              I don't see any mention of a vaccine needed for the Barbados. However - you need negative Covid tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

I don't see any mention of a vaccine needed for the Barbados. However - you need negative Covid tests.
                Good point, Hugh :)

Comment

Requiring a vaccine to participate in a chess tournament is not the same as forcing someone to receive a vaccine. On the other hand, I fear most people will avoid OTB chess until
                  they can be assured that there is no health risk.
                  Paul Leblanc
                  Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Sid, you make good points, and I read already about some allergic reactions

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post

A negative COVID test is meaningless unless you are tested at the door before you enter the tournament hall.

Comment

Requiring a vaccine to participate in a chess tournament is not the same as forcing someone to receive a vaccine. On the other hand, I fear most people will avoid OTB chess until
                        they can be assured that there is no health risk.
                        We do want people to be sensible. I would rather have healthy chessplayers playing in 2022, than people playing too soon and getting COVID.The finish line is in sight. No one wants to be the last person to die of COVID.

Comment

This is how the zombie apocalypse starts in those novels and movies.

Nonetheless, I will take the vaccine as soon as it is available to me. Presumably by then millions will have taken it.

As long as there aren't cats in it, I should be okay.

Comment

I did not see the first person get a certificate or Immunization card. So how can you monitor if someone got the shot? You cannot. It would be wise to get the vaccine to make yourself safe. If others don't take the shot then hey good luck to them. WE cannot force people to take the shot but I sure hope that they do not die because they refused.

Comment

This document has some very interesting information about the vaccine program and COVID!9. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to everyone!
                              https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/99d...hitepaper2.pdf

Comment

Working...
                              X