Grandmaster Candidates

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Grandmaster Candidates

    There are certainly a lot of players who have norms and ratings just under 2500 who have not quite fulfilled requirements for the grandmaster title. I was reminded by this when I read some more about Willy Hendriks, popular chess author. (he is one)
    I am going to start a list even though it could get quite numerous (maybe into the thousands ?)
    Willy Hendrix
    also names from the past in Canadian chess (only because they are so familiar with me)
    Lawrence Day
    Bryon Nickoloff
    Jan Teplitsky
    Deen Hergott
    Frank Anderson
    Zvonko Vranesic
    Leonid Gerzhoy
    Nikolay Noritsyn
    Edward Porper
    Igor Zugic
    Raja Panjwani
    Tomas Krnan
    Artiom Samsonkin
    Shiyam Thavandiran
    Zhe Quan

    Feel free to contribute (especially current players)
    Last edited by Hans Jung; Monday, 1st February, 2021, 08:10 PM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    There are certainly a lot of players who have norms and ratings just under 2500 who have not quite fulfilled requirements for the grandmaster title. I was reminded by this when I read some more about Willy Hendriks, popular chess author. (he is one)
    I am going to start a list even though it could get quite numerous (maybe into the thousands ?)
    Willy Hendrix
    also names from the past in Canadian chess (only because they are so familiar with me)
    Lawrence Day
    Bryon Nickoloff
    Jan Teplitsky
    Deen Hergott
    Frank Anderson
    Zvonko Vranesic

    Feel free to contribute (especially current players)
    Canada is noted for having some strong IMs who probably would be GMs if they lived in Europe, if they had the financial and coaching support to concentrate on playing, not teaching. I think of people with GM potential like Bindi Cheng, Jean Hébert, Goran Milicevic, Artiom Samsonkin, and Shiyam Thavandiran.

    From David Cohen's site:
    http://www.canadianchess.info/canadi...essTitles.html

    The following are in progress of completing the qualifications for these titles (Norms no longer have time limits):

    International Grandmaster (GM)
    • Gerzhoy, Leonid - 1st Norm: 2009 World Open, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
    • Hergott, Deen - 1st Norm: 1994 Marshall Chess Club, New York, New York, USA
    • Noritsyn, Nikolay - 1st Norm: 2011 Quebec Open, Montreal, Quebec
    • Porper, Edward - 1st Norm: 2004 Liechtenstein Open
    • Teplitsky, Yan - 1st Norm: 1992 Ajka, Hungary ?; 2nd Norm: 2002 Olympiad
    • Vranesic, Zvonko - 1st Norm: 1970 Olympiad
    • Zugic, Igor - 1st Norm: 2000 John W. (Jack) Collins International; 2nd Norm: 2003 CMA Futurity IV, Toronto
    International Master (IM)
    • Barbeau, Sylvain - 1st Norm: 2001 Montreal International; 2nd Norm: 2002 Montreal International
    • Boyd, Stephen - 1st Norm: 1993 Cannes Summer Open
    • Gardner, Robert - 1st Norm: 7th Edmonton International, Edmonton, AB 2012
    • Goldenberg, Danny - 1st Norm: 2000 Cappelle-la-Grande, France
    • Haessel, Dale - 1st Norm: 4th Calgary International, Calgary, AB 2011
    • Hamilton, Robert - 1st Norm: 2003 Guelph Pro-Am International Open
    • Jiang, Louie - 1st Norm: 2009 Canadian Championship, Guelph, Ontario [registered with FIDE]
    • Kaminski, Victor - 1st Norm: 2008 New England Masters, Pawtucket, USA
    • Linskiy, Oleg - 1st Norm: 1997 North Bay International Open; 2nd Norm: 2002 Quebec Invitational
    • Milicevic, Goran - 1st Norm: 2004 Canadian Championship
    • Pechenkin, Vladimir - 1st Norm: 5th Calgary International Classic, Calgary, AB 2012
    • Pushkedra, Frank - 1st Norm: 2002 Guelph Pro-Am International Open
    • Taylor, Gordon - 1st Norm: 1981 Vancouver Congress

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

      Canada is noted for having some strong IMs who probably would be GMs if they lived in Europe, if they had the financial and coaching support to concentrate on playing, not teaching. I think of people with GM potential like Bindi Cheng, Jean Hébert, Goran Milicevic, Artiom Samsonkin, and Shiyam Thavandiran.

      From David Cohen's site:
      http://www.canadianchess.info/canadi...essTitles.html

      The following are in progress of completing the qualifications for these titles (Norms no longer have time limits):

      International Grandmaster (GM)
      • Gerzhoy, Leonid - 1st Norm: 2009 World Open, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
      • Hergott, Deen - 1st Norm: 1994 Marshall Chess Club, New York, New York, USA
      • Noritsyn, Nikolay - 1st Norm: 2011 Quebec Open, Montreal, Quebec
      • Porper, Edward - 1st Norm: 2004 Liechtenstein Open
      • Teplitsky, Yan - 1st Norm: 1992 Ajka, Hungary ?; 2nd Norm: 2002 Olympiad
      • Vranesic, Zvonko - 1st Norm: 1970 Olympiad
      • Zugic, Igor - 1st Norm: 2000 John W. (Jack) Collins International; 2nd Norm: 2003 CMA Futurity IV, Toronto
      International Master (IM)
      • Barbeau, Sylvain - 1st Norm: 2001 Montreal International; 2nd Norm: 2002 Montreal International
      • Boyd, Stephen - 1st Norm: 1993 Cannes Summer Open
      • Gardner, Robert - 1st Norm: 7th Edmonton International, Edmonton, AB 2012
      • Goldenberg, Danny - 1st Norm: 2000 Cappelle-la-Grande, France
      • Haessel, Dale - 1st Norm: 4th Calgary International, Calgary, AB 2011
      • Hamilton, Robert - 1st Norm: 2003 Guelph Pro-Am International Open
      • Jiang, Louie - 1st Norm: 2009 Canadian Championship, Guelph, Ontario [registered with FIDE]
      • Kaminski, Victor - 1st Norm: 2008 New England Masters, Pawtucket, USA
      • Linskiy, Oleg - 1st Norm: 1997 North Bay International Open; 2nd Norm: 2002 Quebec Invitational
      • Milicevic, Goran - 1st Norm: 2004 Canadian Championship
      • Pechenkin, Vladimir - 1st Norm: 5th Calgary International Classic, Calgary, AB 2012
      • Pushkedra, Frank - 1st Norm: 2002 Guelph Pro-Am International Open
      • Taylor, Gordon - 1st Norm: 1981 Vancouver Congress
      I believe Jason Cao has 2 IM norms.

      Comment


      • #4
        There are two others I can think of. Roman Pelts made an IM norm at one of the Olympiads in Greece. Ray Stone made a couple I think; one at a World Open in Philadelphia where he defeated Larry Christiansen. Not sure of the other.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Gordon Taylor View Post
          There are two others I can think of. Roman Pelts made an IM norm at one of the Olympiads in Greece. Ray Stone made a couple I think; one at a World Open in Philadelphia where he defeated Larry Christiansen. Not sure of the other.
          In 1984 Olympiad Pelts, 2435, on 4th board, +5=6-0, almost all games as White?, had a great 2540 performance. Against GMs +1=2-0, against IMs +2=0-0. Finished 4th for board 4 prize. I don't know what the norm rules were then.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Gordon Taylor View Post
            There are two others I can think of. Roman Pelts made an IM norm at one of the Olympiads in Greece. Ray Stone made a couple I think; one at a World Open in Philadelphia where he defeated Larry Christiansen. Not sure of the other.
            Raymond Stone defeated GM Larry Christiansen in the 1987 World Open, but Christensen tied for third, 7-3, winning $1,433. First was Gulko and Miles, 8-2 winning $16,138. Stone scored 6-4, tied With GMs Anand, Djurich, and oldsters Byrne, Reshevsky and Bisguier,.

            [Event "Philadelphia"]
            [Site "Philadelphia (USA)"]
            [Date "1987.??.??"]
            [EventDate "?"]
            [Round "?"]
            [Result "0-1"]
            [White "Larry Mark Christiansen"]
            [Black "Ray Stone"]
            [ECO "D87"]
            [WhiteElo "?"]
            [BlackElo "?"]
            [PlyCount "106"]

            1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5 4.cxd5 Nxd5 5.e4 Nxc3 6.bxc3 Bg7
            7.Bc4 c5 8.Ne2 O-O 9.O-O Nc6 10.Be3 Na5 11.Bd3 b6 12.Qd2 cxd4
            13.cxd4 e6 14.Rad1 Bb7 15.Bg5 Qd7 16.Bh6 Rac8 17.Bxg7 Kxg7
            18.Qg5 Qd8 19.Qe5+ Kg8 20.Qf4 Qe7 21.e5 Bd5 22.Ng3 f5 23.exf6
            Qxf6 24.Qe3 Qf4 25.Qe2 Nc6 26.Be4 Qf6 27.Rfe1 Nxd4 28.Qd2 Rc4
            29.f3 Rd8 30.Kh1 Nc6 31.Qh6 Rc5 32.h3 Rf8 33.Nh5 Qf7 34.Bxd5
            exd5 35.Re6 gxh5 36.Rxc6 Rxc6 37.Qxc6 Rd8 38.Rd4 Kg7 39.Qc3
            Kg8 40.Qe3 Qf6 41.Rf4 Qd6 42.Rf5 d4 43.Qb3+ Kh8 44.Qb2 Qg6
            45.Re5 Qg7 46.Rxh5 d3 47.Qd2 Qd4 48.Rg5 Rc8 49.Rb5 Rc2 50.Qe1
            Re2 51.Qc1 d2 52.Qc8+ Kg7 53.Qc7+ Kf6 0-1

            Comment


            • #7
              How could I forget Raja Panjwani who has 3 GM norms but needs to get his raying to 2500? - and Tomas Krnan who has at least one GM norm and is also close to 2500.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                How could I forget Raja Panjwani who has 3 GM norms but needs to get his raying to 2500? - and Tomas Krnan who has at least one GM norm and is also close to 2500.
                I believe Victor Plotkin has 2 norms and was well on his way to his third norm at the 2020 Senior Team World Championship, when the tournament was cut short because of COVID. I seem to recall Victor performing over 2500, but only played 7 games.

                For the record, I got 1 IM norm back at the 1986 World Open.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm sure Victor has plenty on the GameStop fracas - and there's even a Gabe Plotkin in the mix!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I was only planning to list GM candidates but maybe I should list IM candidates as well.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I think the world has too many GM's. From less than 100 in the late 60's to 1500 today. We need a new title or titling system - e.g. the top 100 by rating at any given time are given a separate title. They could drop out of the top 100 - losing the new title - but possibly getting it back with an increase in rating.

                      The US has 101 GM's - I've heard of maybe 20 or 25 of them. If you're inviting a US GM to a tournament - do you look at the name or the rating? Would you care if no one has heard of your invited GM?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                        I was only planning to list GM candidates but maybe I should list IM candidates as well.
                        GM candidates from the most realistic point of view:

                        1. IM N.Noritsyn - rating above 2500, 1 GM norm. Plays GM level for very long period of time. Doesn't have too many opportunities for GM norms, since he plays only in Canada. Looks like Olympiads are the most real chance for him.

                        2. IM R.Panjwani - 3 GM norms, but never crossed 2500 level. Needs about 50 rating points for the title. Alternate very good and mediocre tournaments. Absolutely capable with his talent, but needs to play better in bad tournaments.

                        3. IM L.Gerzhoy. Actually he is probably the closest one as he needs only 1 GM norm. That means, he is just 1 good tournament from the title. However, his current rating of 2348 makes me sad. He lost more than 150 points from his maximum, he is just 33 y.o.

                        4. IM A.Samsonkin and IM T.Krnan both have 1 norm.

                        5. Obviously, every young 2350+ player and every talented and ambitious junior have a chance... But it will take time.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post
                          I'm sure Victor has plenty on the GameStop fracas - and there's even a Gabe Plotkin in the mix!
                          As always, a very, very smart post.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks Victor. There is another one I missed. Artiom Samsomkin will always be known to me as the giant killer. He crushed Nakamura in 2009 in Toronto in front of my popping eyes!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Another name from the past is Zhe Quan. I cant find a list of norms but Im sure he made at least one.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X