Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kevin's at it again!

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
    Kerry, I'm surprised. You have an image of Groucho Marx under your name, and here was a perfect opportunity missed to quote Groucho:

"PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER"
    Good idea... I could say that about the CFC.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: Kevin's at it again!

Hi Kerry:

You did ! you did !

Bob

Comment

Re: keeping me out of the K.S. Fan Club was correct

A hypothetical situation we can learn from. Let's say you were walking down the street when you witness a women and her daughter being mugged right in front of you. You say nothing because in your opinion it's not your business, hell the whole situation could get messy for you. Even worse, you recognize the mugger it's an ex-CFC executive.
        Later on other people learn indirectly that you may know who the mugger is and the rumour is you even know where they live incognito. But you don't want to get involved.

So someone posts on their blog that you are a degenerate because of this situation. How wrong can they be ? Perhaps they are trying to encourage you to do the right thing.

Not that this hypothetical situation resembles anything real going on right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Smith View Post
          Not that this hypothetical situation resembles anything real going on right now.
          At least one thing you said made sense.

Comment

In many places, not (safely) attempting to interfere with a crime ini progress is itself a crime.

I don't know the whole story. Has a crime been committed by Peter Stockhausen? (I mean in a legal sense, not in a figurative or ethical sense) I would guess not, or the police would be much more involved. With the exception of court-mandated child/spousal support in some provinces (post-divorce) and custody (not an issue here?), divorce proceedings are a civil matter.

Why are we even discussing this though? From what I can tell, all we have on Chesstalk is a third-hand report that someone knows he is still alive. I think it's a bit of a stretch to compare that (absolutely heinous crime!) to a mugging.
            Christopher Mallon
            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
              I don't know the whole story. Has a crime been committed by Peter Stockhausen?
              Nobody knows the whole story because every story has three sides. (Yours, mine and the truth.) So far all we have heard is one side. And *nowhere* in that side is there anything claimed that would qualify as criminal. If a crime has been committed, then go take it to the police. They already dropped the matter, probably (duh) because there is no crime involved.

This is a Family Law, not a Criminal Law matter, and whatever may or may not have happened should be taken through the proper channels to determine property division, child support, and spousal support. From the less histrionic pieces of what I have read, there is a very good case for the mother and child. But there are also proper procedures and I am sure that the parties directly involved already know all about them.

This is not to say that I am condoning anything Peter Stockhausen may have done. I can't, because I have *no clue* what he has or hasn't done. All I know is what has been claimed, in a very disjointed fashion (where the first question would be: why haven't you got a lawyer and why aren't you dealing with this through the courts instead of on the freaking internet?) I neither accept or dispute that story at face value and will not sit in judgment of Peter Stockhausen, his wife, his daughter or anybody else where, like the majority of people here, I don't know any facts, only rumours.

Steve

P.S. If a crime has been committed it is that of libel, particularly with respect to the public citing of names of private individuals and using words like "degenerate" to describe them.

Comment

A hypothetical situation we can learn from. Let's say you were walking down the street when you witness a women and her daughter being mugged right in front of you. You say nothing because in your opinion it's not your business, hell the whole situation could get messy for you. Even worse, you recognize the mugger it's an ex-CFC executive.
                Later on other people learn indirectly that you may know who the mugger is and the rumour is you even know where they live incognito. But you don't want to get involved.

So someone posts on their blog that you are a degenerate because of this situation. How wrong can they be ? Perhaps they are trying to encourage you to do the right thing.

Duncan, it's so nice to see you stre-e-e-e-etching your brain cells like that. And with curling season just around the corner, you must be feeling pretty doggone good these days. Let's look at another hypothetical situation we can all learn from. Let's suppose that some two-bit, flatulent gasbag accuses me of witnessing a crime, a mugging to be precise, and doing nothing about it. The only problems with this accusation are that (a) I never witnessed the mugging, (b) I don't know the alleged mugger (other than via the internet), (c) I don't know the alleged victims. Meanwhile, the two-bit flatulent gasbag expects me to do what? Go to the police with this sizzling hot tip: attention, I just didn't witness an alleged crime that may or may not have happened and I don't know the alleged perpetrator or victims. And what did the two-bit flatulent gasbag do? Did he go to the police?

Respectfully yours,

Degenerate #1b

P.S. And by the way, what did the self-righteous blogger do? Did he report the matter to the police? And just what was the matter that he reported to the police?
                Last edited by Peter McKillop; Tuesday, 22nd September, 2009, 05:58 PM.
                "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

I suspect even if a crime had been committed the family would be unwilling to press charges. This however is not important. I too do not fully understand the families approach. I would presume there are social agencies that would help, but I am unfamiliar with this topic. But I also don't understand the public persona the BC chess community has taken. Here's my opinion; the man served the chess community for numerous years and by doing so his family sacrificed a part of their life too. The chess community owes this family the decency to help them towards closure. If they are unable or unclear how to proceed, surely someone in the local chess community could help them out, rather then what appears on the surface to be an unofficial agreement to totally ignore them. Maybe someone has done something, but the blog suggests otherwise.

I am willing to judge this part of the equation. The chess community must do something. I suspect the longer this goes on the worse it gets for everyone involved, and I do suspect that someone knows more now then they are letting on, but I am willing to concede this might entirely be Peter's responsibility. If this is the case, then some people should step up and clear up the possibility that they are involved in the disappearance aspect. With respect to the CFC, I would suggest any officer of the business that has a connection with this case should make a public statement to clear things up.

p.s. If this was a local story here someone would have helped them out by now.

Comment

Peter I don't agree with everything Kevin has posted, and the situation I described was hypothetical but it served it's purpose ( to get people to think and not be totally comfortable with the status quo ). I hope when it's over that everyone connected in the local community has done everything possible they could to facilitate a good ending.

Comment

a good ending.
                      What is that for that family?

Comment

Duncan. Where exactly has the "BC Chess Community" ever stated that they know where he is? What do you expect from them exactly?

I guess I'm glad I don't live in BC anymore! I can't be accused of harboring someone I've never even met.
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Actually, what you could be accused of Chris is lacking the creativity and compassion to understand what could be done.

Comment

Actually, what you could be accused of Chris is lacking the creativity and compassion to understand what could be done.
                            That is a rather large presumption isn't it?

I haven't seen ANY evidence that anyone in the Canadian Chess Community (whatever the hell that is) has participated in this whole situation at all. Kevin's blog absolutely makes it clear that HE believes their is some sort of conspiracy - apparently led by Lynn Stringer - to hid Peter from his estranged wife and daughter. When the auction of Peter's chess books became public on Ebay, a number of people raised questions about what was going on and expressed concern for Peter's health (on the assumption that something bad might have happened).

There is NO doubt this is a difficult time for that family, but IT HAS NOTHING TO DO with random chess players in Canada or even B.C. The only FACTS are that Peter S. has apparently disappeared without talking to his family; he apparently has not met foul play (hence the police are no longer involved) and it is purely another tragic family situation.

According to Spraggett (not a particularly reliable source of anything IMHO) Peter did this before with a previous wife... presumably if that was true, his current wife might know about that?

Comment

I am willing to judge this part of the equation. The chess community must do something.
                              OK. If he writes a book titled "Running Away From Home for Dummies", I'll probably buy a copy.

By the way, Who the f*** is he and why the H*** should I do something? Why don't you fly out there and see if you can help?
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Keep the CFC out of our personal lives!

With respect to the CFC, I would suggest any officer of the business that has a connection with this case should make a public statement to clear things up.
                                Duncan, I am sure that upon reflection, you may wish to retract that statement. The CFC (or the BCCF) has no business involving itself in the personal lives of it's members. Consider this hypothetical situation, image you were encountering family problems of your own, would you really want CFC officials discussing it in public?:o

This is a private family matter. Peter is a chessplayer and consequently some of his friends are chessplayers. Expanding this as a "chess community issue", either locally or nationally is misplaced.

Obviously this is a painful experience for the Stockhausen family. I hope all those involved will ask responsibly. Further public debate will only serve to exaggerate the families suffering.:(

Comment

Working...
                                X