Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Wayne Komer, 09-01-1941 - 09-13-2021

R.I.P. Wayne Komer, 09-01-1941 - 09-13-2021

OMG That is very sad! My condolences to the family.

Comment

How lucky we've been here at Chesstalk to have had Wayne Komer providing his daily, interesting, and often fascinating reports and announcements on almost everything under the chess sun! I never met Wayne but feel as though I've lost a good friend. Rest in peace, Wayne.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

This is a shock. Wayne did the chess news on this site almost daily for several years and it seems like the end of an era. He was posting news until the last day and was doing what he loved amongst, I'm sure, his chess books and probably a set or two for analysis (or to set up favorite positions). My condolences to close friends and family. Rest in peace Wayne.
        Last edited by Hans Jung; Wednesday, 15th September, 2021, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
          How lucky we've been here at Chesstalk to have had Wayne Komer providing his daily, interesting, and often fascinating reports and announcements on almost everything under the chess sun! I never met Wayne but feel as though I've lost a good friend. Rest in peace, Wayne.
          Absolutely devastating news. I had become used to Wayne being a fixture here with his wonderful curated news items and always timely information. I am glad that he was able to do what he clearly loved doing until the end ... Rest in peace.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

That is devastating news, Wayne was so active and interesting on chesstalk bringing us on all the latest chess news, he will be missed.

Comment

So sad. Wayne was like our daily news feed here.

Comment

Tragic news ...sigh. He will be sorely missed. I loved how he found his own narrative of presenting chess and of course his dedication.

My deepest condolences to his family.

Rest in peace Wayne.

Comment

condolences to friends and family. may he rest in peace

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                    I was going to use that exact same sentence: "I never met Wayne but feel as though I've lost a good friend". Amazing, i think all of us regular readers of ChessTalk felt the same. It will never be the same here now. Wayne's posts were always the first I wanted to look at here. I think he loved not only the chess itself, but all the human stories that surrounded chess.

Comment

oh my goodness, what sad news, deep sympathies to his family, rest in peace

Comment

Very sad. I only knew Wayne through his many posts here. He will be missed. My deepest sympathies to his family.

Comment

I enjoyed his summaries too. He will be missed here... RIP

Comment

Heartfelt condolences to Wayne's family and friends.

Going by the zeal in his posts, I would never have guessed he was close to 80 years old. In particular, I will miss his passionate updates to the "Upcoming chess books" thread, more so because I have a fascination for books.

Rest in peace, Sir. You will be missed here.

Comment

I am in shock - just very recently he had purchased an old volume of Chess Chat from the Albert Boxer estate. Over the last 18 months or so he had purchased several books and magazines - which led to frequent emails regarding chess literature, weather, life, etc. And, of course, I deeply appreciated his recaps of the important chess events. I will miss him.

Comment

Working...
                              X