Olympiad-2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympiad-2022

According to FIDE calendar, World Chess Olympiad will be in Moscow from Jul 26 to Aug 08, 2022.

Recently, CFC directors discussed some adjustments to CFC qualification rules. Major points:

1. 20-games requirement. According to CFC rules, a player has to play at least 20 games in the 12-month period before the deadline. Obviously, COVID restrictions makes it really difficult for many players to play 20 games in 12 months.

It was decided to extend 12 months period (Apr 2021 - Apr 2022) to 36 months period (Apr 2019 - Apr 2022). Practically, it means that every player who filled this requirement to Olympiad-2020 (which was cancelled) is good for Olympiad-2022 as well.

Faster time control games played in Canadian World Cup Qualifier-2021 and on-line Olympiad-2020 and 2021 will be counted.

2. Canadian Closed and Canadian Women Closed.

Hopefully, we will have them in Apr 2022. The winner of this event gets spot for Olympiad Team. 2-nd place gets 20 points bonus, 3-rd place gets 10 points. 10 points penalty for player who didn't play/withdrew from the Closed.

3. If everything goes smooth, the final roster will be announced after the finish of Canadian Closed-2022 with new FIDE and CFC ratings.

Rating for the National Team, Nov 1, 2021.

1. GM E.Bareev - 2631 (20+ games)
    2. GM E.Hansen - 2606 (20+)
    3. IM N.Noritsyn - 2512 (20+)
    4. GM A.LeSiege - 2510 (20+)
    5. GM B.Sambuev - 2503 (20+)
    6. GM K.Spaggett - 2495 (20+)
    7. GM K.Yang - 2481 (20)
    8. GM R.Preotu - 2473 (20+)
    9. GM T.Roussel-Roozmon - 2471 (20+)
    10. GM A.Hambleton - 2453 (20+)

Comment

Thanks for the excellent update, Victor.

Few questions:
      1) Five-player teams; will you serve as Captain once more?
      2) Board order strictly by rating, or other options possible?
      3) Past performance in Olympiads a factor in selection?
      4) GM Kovalyov?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
        Thanks for the excellent update, Victor.

Few questions:
        1) Five-player teams; will you serve as Captain once more?
        2) Board order strictly by rating, or other options possible?
        3) Past performance in Olympiads a factor in selection?
        4) GM Kovalyov?
        1. According to CFC rules, directors would decide about Captain. Personally, I would like to see the roster first and talk to players before my decision about captaincy.

2. Last 4 Olympiads, board order never was strictly by rating. Captain decides about it; this is a very important decision by him.

3. Unfortunately, in 2016 voting members didn't support my idea (McKim/Plotkin motion) to take past Olympic performance into account. No, this is not a factor now.

4. I talked to Anton before 2018 Olympiad and he was very solid in his decision not to play in any official FIDE event. Now he is inactive according to current FIDE rating list. Unfortunately, it's too optimistic to expect him playing for us in 2022.

Comment

honestly didnt even know spraggett still played. interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Connor Gherasim View Post
            honestly didnt even know spraggett still played. interesting
            Spaggett didn't play for Team Canada for more than 15 years. Very likely, he will not be playing in 2022 again. However, for formal reasons his name must be included in the list. He is still pretty active, he plays regularly in Portugal/Spain; his rating is real, he is still a strong player.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Plotkin View Post

Spaggett didn't play for Team Canada for more than 15 years. Very likely, he will not be playing in 2022 again. However, for formal reasons his name must be included in the list. He is still pretty active, he plays regularly in Portugal/Spain; his rating is real, he is still a strong player.
              ah okay makes sense, thanks for the info. no doubt one of canada's overall greats

Comment

Victor (et al), the 2022 Canadian Closed will be part of KEC (Kingston Easter Chess) 2022 (and 2023 and 2024). We could also include a Canadian Women Closed.

IA/IO Aris Marghetis
                Chief Organizer, KEC

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
                  Victor (et al), the 2022 Canadian Closed will be part of KEC (Kingston Easter Chess) 2022 (and 2023 and 2024). We could also include a Canadian Women Closed.

IA/IO Aris Marghetis
                  Chief Organizer, KEC
                  Good luck Aris. I really enjoyed the Canadian Closed you ran in Kingston in 2019. Hopefully I can play in 2022, but I am getting a bit old to complete.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post

Good luck Aris. I really enjoyed the Canadian Closed you ran in Kingston in 2019. Hopefully I can play in 2022, but I am getting a bit old to complete.
                    We will definitely be trying to get you over here again!

By the way, all the best for the Banff Open! (already had a gig that weekend)

Comment

Thanks, Victor.
                      I share your view on revising the Olympiad team qualification system. It has essentially been the same since the 1970s. When I was a governor, in the early and mid-2000s, I spoke about this, but it went nowhere.
                      There is no point or time to change anything now for 2022. I think for 2024, there needs to be a major discussion.
                      Now, one more question: the 20-game requirement is fair to everyone. Speaking hypothetically now, what would happen if someone who doesn't have 20 games were to win the April 2022 championship in Kingston, thereby gaining a spot on the team (as you outlined)? Is the 20-game requirement dropped in that scenario?

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

IA/IO Aris Marghetis
                        Chief Organizer, KEC
                        Sure, I know about it and will be playing as well. I say "hopefully" because nowadays you can not be sure for any tournaments or other event 5 months from now.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                          Thanks, Victor.
                          I share your view on revising the Olympiad team qualification system. It has essentially been the same since the 1970s. When I was a governor, in the early and mid-2000s, I spoke about this, but it went nowhere.
                          There is no point or time to change anything now for 2022. I think for 2024, there needs to be a major discussion.
                          Now, one more question: the 20-game requirement is fair to everyone. Speaking hypothetically now, what would happen if someone who doesn't have 20 games were to win the April 2022 championship in Kingston, thereby gaining a spot on the team (as you outlined)? Is the 20-game requirement dropped in that scenario?
                          To your question. Indeed, it's not 100% clear in our regulations. My approach is that Canadian champion gets spot anyway, even he played just 9 games for his entire life.

Comment

Jan 1, 2022. I just hope the list is still relevant.

1. GM E.Bareev - 2631
                            2. GM E.Hansen - 2606
                            3. IM N.Noritsyn - 2512
                            4. GM A.LeSiege - 2510
                            5. GM B.Sambuev - 2496
                            6. GM K.Spraggett - 2487
                            7. GM K.Yang - 2481
                            8. GM R.Preotu - 2473
                            9. GM T.Roussel-Roozmon - 2461
                            10. GM A.Hambleton - 2454

Comment

If only Nikolay would get the GM title then we would have all ten GMs on the top ten list. My how times have changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X