Tata Steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After 8 rounds Magnus and the Shak tied for first, with Giri and Vidit a half point back.

Rest day tomorrow (Monday)
    Last edited by Hans Jung; Sunday, 23rd January, 2022, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Rd 9 Tomorrow (Tuesday) Magnus vs the Shak

Comment

GM Giri's game was a classic 'piece for two pawns sac, with attack', on the K-side, in a double king pawn opening. He played it wonderfully well. It's a model game for study, since this sort of position can arise from a number of different openings.

Many thanks to Hans for providing the links.

In this event, it has been clear that the World Champion, GM Carlsen, is a dynamo in any sort of Catalan position; he is reaping the rewards of preparation for his match with GM Nepo.

When I visited the Netherlands, I spent some time along the seaside area, in early autumn, where this tournament is played. Then I got a chance to spectate at the major GM Tilburg event, for a day. Canadians get treated great there (the nation thanks us for liberating them in World War II), and everyone speaks English. Lots to see and do. The whole country is about the size of the region of Southern Ontario from Hamilton to Windsor, and 17 million people live there. The Dutch have dammed and diked an interior lake / sea estuary, the Zuiderzee, which used to flood, to create more land.

Comment

Rd 9 Magnus immediately spotted the weakness of Shak's defence (Rb6). The good news is no endgame, no long suffering.

Sam Shankland's successful defensive streak came to an end under Anish Giri's enterprising play.

I enjoyed the dynamic French played by Fabiano Caruana - lots of interesting tactics.
          Last edited by Hans Jung; Tuesday, 25th January, 2022, 01:51 PM.

Comment

After 9 Magnus leads with 6.5, closely followed by Giri with 6.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) rd 10, Karjakhin vs Magnus

Comment

Rd 10 Karjakhin - Magnus was an early draw so we'll see who can catch up.

Giri has accepted the irish pawn center. If he wins he's a genius.

Giri drew and Shak drew and Vidit lost so Magnus maintains his lead.
              Last edited by Hans Jung; Wednesday, 26th January, 2022, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Rd 10 major upsets https://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2022...apport_Richard Rapport amazing endgame position with two pawns on the sixth for it seemed like forever. Rapport won.
                Also In time pressure threats to Vidit's king position forced a trade into a harrowing endgame which Pragga won.

Grandelius won his first game of the tournament.

Comment

Tomorrow (Thursday) is a rest day.

Comment

Rd 11 Van Foreest is really giving it to Girii, + 10 at one point. https://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2022...den-Giri_Anish

Did Magnus miss a known passed pawn conversion in the endgame? Unusual for him.

Caruana gives Pragga another lesson.
                    Last edited by Hans Jung; Friday, 28th January, 2022, 02:11 PM.

Comment

It was difficult for Magnus to convert, computer moves, He missed Re7 + followed by the difficult Re4 ! , building a bridge and probably winning, still difficult.

Comment

Magnus is killing people with the Catalan, Been playing the Catalan for the last 6 months with success. Now it is Magnus approved.

Comment

Fabulous Fabi vs Magnus tomorrow (Saturday) rd 12. Both are hot so it could be quite a tussle. Hope so.

Comment

Tata Steel Gallery:
                            https://tatasteelchess.com/press-reg...photo-gallery/

Comment

Rd 12 https://www.chessbomb.com/arena/2022...arjakin_Sergey Karjakhin goes pawn and piece grabbing and pays the price.
                              and Sam Shankland wins a game. Never too late!

Vidit - Shak - sparks are flying Vidit went too far trying to attack. Tough loss.

Fab Fabi - Magnus 26...Rxd4 Nip and tuck. - and look at those two bishops! virtually unopposed.
                              How does Magnus go about winning this endgame? (I was scratching my head?) - simple (I was surprised) - just make another passed pawn - 36....e5!
                              Last edited by Hans Jung; Saturday, 29th January, 2022, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Tomorrow (Sunday) last round. Magnus - Dubov (Dubov has been forfeiting his last few games) so the entertaining games will probably be the Shak - Caruana or Rapport - Giri

Comment

Working...
                                X