Female Chess Players and Their Discomfort With Male Chess Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're playing the same game with the unclear definition of dressing "provocatively." However I think most would agree that it should be treated the same way, if someone feels another person's outfit is inappropriate they can report it. Same with distracting behaviour like flashing cleavage.

Comment

This thread is so typically (and comically, and pathetically) Chesstalk. It starts out as an attempt to discuss why girls/women might feel unsafe at chess tournaments and possible options for dealing with the matter, and winds up focusing on how to protect boys/men from cleavage.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
        This thread is so typically (and comically, and pathetically) Chesstalk. It starts out as an attempt to discuss why girls/women might feel unsafe at chess tournaments and possible options for dealing with the matter, and winds up focusing on how to protect boys/men from cleavage.
        But what do you expect from a bunch of chess players? Isn't this the answer to your original debate question! Most threads on here that disintegrate at least have entertainment value ... but this one has been particularly brutal.
        Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Harvey View Post

But what do you expect from a bunch of chess players? Isn't this the answer to your original debate question! Most threads on here that disintegrate at least have entertainment value ... but this one has been particularly brutal.
          Fred, you have a way of hitting the nail on the head!
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Fred, you have a way of hitting the nail on the head!
            Why thank you! But please don't try to set up a popularity poll......
            Fred Harvey

Comment

I completely disagree. This thread started with a hit piece that amounted to male bashing. (I will not dispute where it ended up.)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
                You're playing the same game with the unclear definition of dressing "provocatively." However I think most would agree that it should be treated the same way, if someone feels another person's outfit is inappropriate they can report it. Same with distracting behaviour like flashing cleavage.
                I deliberately didn't define "provocatively" because any action taken or restrictions imposed by organizers is going to be arbitrary and subjective.

It is my opinion that chess by its very nature of having two opponents sitting straight across from each other for possibly several hours is not conducive to events pitting males against females. The females can use provocative dress, the males can use staring to unsettle the concentration of the opponent.

Of course, having two homosexual males or two homosexual females play against each other can result in the same.... but is it the same? We'd need to hear from them. Peter McKillop assumes that homosexual males and heterosexual males have the same sexual libido, just directed at opposite sexes. I respectfully disagree. The point is, we'd have to be in their shoes to really know.

At any rate, we can't make everyone happy. I really don't care what happens on this issue, my family and I are out of chess completely. TDs can do whatever they want. I just chimed in on this topic to make sure both sexes get represented properly. Calling heterosexual males who stare at females "regressive creeps" or "scumbags" only exacerbates the problem. As I've already stated, you can't fight Mother Nature.... or more specifically, male hormones.

You can try, but you will just create misery and misunderstanding.

Comment

It may be typically ChessTalk, but it isn't limited to just ChessTalk. I participate in many forums (usually under a nickname) and this type of thing happens everywhere.

If you really want to see the "wild west" in discussion forums, try any of the ones on Craigslist. ChessTalk is very muted compared to those.

As for where this one started out and ended up .... if you don't understand that women/girls feeling safe around males and males feeling safe from female cleavage are 2 sides of the same coin, well, I can only conclude you don't get out much, Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

I completely disagree. This thread started with a hit piece that amounted to male bashing. (I will not dispute where it ended up.)
                    Brad, you have a way of hitting the nail on the head!

Comment

Working...
                    X