Twitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twitch

I don't get it but it is providing some Canadian chessplayers with some real money. You can follow players and you pay money for the fun of doing so :)...at least that is how I understand it...and feel free to correct me.

Okay so from what I have read, Nakamura is the star of Twitch in the chess world with 1.4 million followers...ahh but if that impresses you...take a look at the Botez sisters from B.C. with 1.1 million followers!

Then there is one of the first in this category...Chessbrah (Eric Hansen and Aman Hambleton) with 276,000 followers.

A relative newbie to the crowd is Montrealer Lefong Hua who weighs in with over 18,000 followers.

As I said at the start, I don't get it...so any info you can provide would be great. Also...are there other Canadians making a reasonable living from this form of entertainment?

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Bevand; Monday, 4th July, 2022, 06:08 PM.

A "reasonable living" greatly understates the twitch earnings from both Botez and Brahs. Twitch pays a minimum 50% of the subscription fees ($5US/month) to their streamers, and more if those streamers are considered "good for the brand". You can estimate their monthly Twitch revenues from their total number of subs, but not followers: followers can watch for free, but have to sit through ads, and the streamers get a fee for the ad time. Some of them also get paid from e-Teams/orgs to push their products. This support can be sufficient on its own to cover a house in L.A.

Qiyu Zhou is the third most popular Canadian chess streamer -- currently with over 1200 subs -- and you can follow her on:
    https://www.twitch.tv/akanemsko

Comment

Obviously there is a huge adult market tuned in to inexpensive chess lessons and entertainment from the comfort of your own home.

Comment

Originally posted by John Upper View Post
        A "reasonable living" greatly understates the twitch earnings from both Botez and Brahs. Twitch pays a minimum 50% of the subscription fees ($5US/month) to their streamers, and more if those streamers are considered "good for the brand". You can estimate their monthly Twitch revenues from their total number of subs, but not followers: followers can watch for free, but have to sit through ads, and the streamers get a fee for the ad time. Some of them also get paid from e-Teams/orgs to push their products. This support can be sufficient on its own to cover a house in L.A.

Qiyu Zhou is the third most popular Canadian chess streamer -- currently with over 1200 subs -- and you can follow her on:
        THANKS John,

That is the kind of info I was looking for!

Qiyu has 292,1 k followers!...where do you find the subscriber numbers?

Comment

As of Jan. 2022 ...

chessbrah: $767,384.56

BotezLive: $416,813.43

Qiyu Zhou: $91,352.63

Lefong Hua: $33,834.82

... annually, ha!

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Monday, 4th July, 2022, 09:00 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Larry Bevand;n220325]I don't get it /QUOTE]

What don't you get? It's fun to watch strong players play speed chess or bullet chess, and more if they are entertaining while doing it. The cost of subscribing is very small (usually around $5 per month) and most subscriptions are more about generally showing support for the streamer than feeling like you're paying for a service. Personally, if I spend a few hours a month watching a streamer, that's easily worth $5 in value to me. It's a medium that young people are familiar with and like, and speaking from the online gaming world, signing a high volume streamer has way more impact than signing a sports celeb to put on your commercials. The streams are real time and authentic, and when they endorse something you usually can believe they actually endorse it, and it's not just some marketing campaign dreamed up by an agency.

BTW - you've asked this question before. https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...line-streamers

It's worth restating what I said in that thread: "Building a streaming community is a brutally hard grind and puts immense pressure on the streamer to put out content every day; to be live for hours a day, while online trolls insult your play, your looks, whatever you're doing. Some people love it, but it's a very hard thing to do, and an even harder thing to be good at. It's very possible that this "nice way to make a living" ends up making you hate what was once a beloved hobby - instead of being something you can do for fun, it becomes something you're chained to your computer to do for hours a day with thousands of strangers watching and criticizing. "

Comment

[QUOTE=David Ottosen;n220333]
              Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
              I don't get it /QUOTE]

What don't you get? It's fun to watch strong players play speed chess or bullet chess, and more if they are entertaining while doing it. The cost of subscribing is very small (usually around $5 per month) and most subscriptions are more about generally showing support for the streamer than feeling like you're paying for a service. Personally, if I spend a few hours a month watching a streamer, that's easily worth $5 in value to me. It's a medium that young people are familiar with and like, and speaking from the online gaming world, signing a high volume streamer has way more impact than signing a sports celeb to put on your commercials. The streams are real time and authentic, and when they endorse something you usually can believe they actually endorse it, and it's not just some marketing campaign dreamed up by an agency.

BTW - you've asked this question before. https://forum.chesstalk.com/forum/ch...line-streamers

It's worth restating what I said in that thread: "Building a streaming community is a brutally hard grind and puts immense pressure on the streamer to put out content every day; to be live for hours a day, while online trolls insult your play, your looks, whatever you're doing. Some people love it, but it's a very hard thing to do, and an even harder thing to be good at. It's very possible that this "nice way to make a living" ends up making you hate what was once a beloved hobby - instead of being something you can do for fun, it becomes something you're chained to your computer to do for hours a day with thousands of strangers watching and criticizing. "
              thanks for an insightful post ... especially: "ends up making you hate what was once a beloved hobby"

often people who are great at something (many things) make it look ridiculously "easy" to onlookers

Comment

...where do you find the subscriber numbers?
                open their twitch stream when it's live, and type !sub into chat.

BTW: in addition to not sitting through ads, another benefit of being a subscriber is playing one-on-one vs the streamer. Most of them have a day -- typically "Sub Sunday"-- where they accept challenges from their subscribers on chess.com, and comment on the games while playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

As of Jan. 2022 ...

chessbrah: $767,384.56

BotezLive: $416,813.43

Qiyu Zhou: $91,352.63

Lefong Hua: $33,834.82

... annually, ha!

Hi Neil,

Thanks!

I tracked down the site where you got the info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comme..._other_twitch/

It turns out that these numbers reflect monies earned from Aug 2019 to October 2021 or close to two years. Obviously, the numbers are in U.S. dollars.

Larry

Comment

Larry, while you're at it, why don't you and Neil F. post your earnings for the past few years?

Comment

Hi Neil,

Thanks!

I tracked down the site where you got the info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comme..._other_twitch/

It turns out that these numbers reflect monies earned from Aug 2019 to October 2021 or close to two years. Obviously, the numbers are in U.S. dollars.

Larry
                      Hi Larry!

My pleasure! Inspirational earnings for sure! Even if it is as little as Lefong's side hustle, ha!

FYI, French twitch chess streamer NM BlitzStream ... $175,377.69

https://www.reddit.com/r/chess/comme...ess_streamers/

BTW, epic to see GM Hikaru make a positive YouTube comment on the matter ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPEfDHfY6ys

Hope you and your crew can also thrive in these ecosystems!!!

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                        It's fun to watch strong players play speed chess or bullet chess, and more if they are entertaining while doing it.
                        I rarely watch twitch. Though browsing through many of chess streamers, Maurice Ashley is on the top of my list - pleasant and exciting voice and no annoying music :)

Comment

Larry, while you're at it, why don't you and Neil F. post your earnings for the past few years?
                          Not sure why this jab... it seems the Twitch revenues are public info so I don't think the streamers would have an expectation of privacy about those numbers?
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                            Twitch revenues are public info so I don't think the streamers would have an expectation of privacy about those numbers?
                            Did they make them public now? The last time it was a big noise that they were hacked.

Comment

I rhink the question for Larry would it make sense for cma to have a twitch channel: they have many teachers to give lessons and challenge subscribers, live coverage of cma tournaments, and much promotion of cma products including swag like a cma drinking cup, shirt, sweater, baseball cap, and pens.

But it requires full-time paid staff and i think their audience is limited to Canada so they wont get the 100,000 subscribers to make it profitable.

Comment

Working...
                              X