Canadian Chess Championships 2022. AKA CO 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations to IM's Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux and Nikolay Noritsyn for tying for first in a very competitive tournament. And the last round was not easy - nail-biting for sure! Two tough fighting games that ended in draws. And two IM's finishing ahead of 12 grandmasters! When does that ever happen? Rarely and it happened here in Canada. We should be proud.

Comment

Congratulations to Hal and crew for running such a competitive and exciting event. I was at the Canadian Champs in April and noted that Aris had an arbiter team of incredible depth and experience! Hal at the Canadian Open had even more depth with an extensive team of experienced arbiters The list is so extensive it deserves a page of its own. Well done Hal!

Comment

Where can we see the final crosstable? Thks

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Gougeon View Post
          Where can we see the final crosstable? Thks
          Canadian Open / Canadian Youth Chess Championships (can-open.ca)

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            Congratulations to Hal and crew for running such a competitive and exciting event. I was at the Canadian Champs in April and noted that Aris had an arbiter team of incredible depth and experience! Hal at the Canadian Open had even more depth with an extensive team of experienced arbiters The list is so extensive it deserves a page of its own. Well done Hal!
            Well said Hans! The sheer ACCURACY of this team was just fantastic! Between the CYCC and the CO, there were over 2000 games, and only one single result was incorrectly reversed (later fixed before future pairings). In defence of that Arbiter involved, BOTH PLAYERS recorded the EXACT SAME MISTAKE lol. In addition, someone who hasn't been mentioned is Patrick McDonald. Every round, Patrick and I would crosscheck the actual scoresheets with the results that he had entered into SwissSys. That was over 100 games every round, and with time pressure especially when it was the first round of a two-round day. Over 16 rounds over 10 days of play, Patrick had an absolutely perfect record, ZERO entry mistakes! All that crosschecking found was Patrick's accuracy!

Comment

That McDonald family is fantastically chesstastic! Patrick, Eva, Justin and Liza. Well done Patrick! I'll buy you a beer next time i see you.

Comment

Hmmm.......

'Phantom Arbiter' running the tables.
                marshalling the volunteers, maintaining
                discipline, running the all-important
                DGT boards, so the world can watch.......

Wonder who this was?

There's an immortal line from Milton's
                "Paradise Lost" that describes these
                unsung and forgotten chess heroes!

Comment

Good point Francis.

Comment

Good point Francis.
                    Thanks Hans!
                    Our 'forgotten hero' is now on his way
                    to the Chess Olympiad, where Fide has
                    appointed him an official Arbiter!

Comment

I thought you meant a listing of the entire team of arbiters (heroes all) and I guess there must be one somewhere. And isnt there more than one going to the Chess Olympiad? We wouldnt want to confuse anybody.

Comment

I thought you meant a listing of the entire team of arbiters (heroes all) and I guess there must be one somewhere. And isnt there more than one going to the Chess Olympiad? We wouldnt want to confuse anybody.
                        AFAIK, just a couple of our arbiters selected
                        for the Olympiad:) I merely mentioned our hero,
                        because we all got to see the most fascinating
                        CO games live, but forgot that hero in the
                        profuse acknowledgements......just saying!

Comment

The 2022 CYCC and Canadian Open in Hamilton have been among the most important editions of these events. My thanks and congratulations to all the organizers, players, and event staff, as well as sponsors, who made these championships possible, and an enormous success!!!

Right now, I am sure our intrepid chess organizers are getting caught up on much-needed sleep!!!

Canada is getting back on the beam in 2022, with many of its major sports events being held once more, after cancellations due to the pandemic. In recent weeks, we have seen the Canadian Football League schedule begin a normal season; the Formula 1 Grand Prix auto race staged successfully in Montreal; the Canadian Open Golf Championship staged successfully in Toronto; the Memorial Cup Junior Hockey Championship staged successfully in Saint John, New Brunswick; the Indy Car Toronto auto race staged successfully last weekend; and now two fantastic chess tournaments in Hamilton, with excellent turnouts, great fighting chess, good national and international representation, and solid prize funds. Still to come is the Canadian Women's Golf Open at the Ottawa Hunt Club in late August, an event I plan to attend (lost two years to the pandemic).

Some further comments on the chess in Hamilton:
                          IM Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux has been on an amazing hot streak in official CFC events in 2022. He scored an unbeaten 7/9 at the Zonal in Kingston to tie for first, a perfect 7/7 at the CYCC B18 in Hamilton to win, and now 7.5/9 in the Canadian Open, again to tie for first. Across those three events, that makes 21.5/25, without a loss!
                          IM Nikolay Noritsyn has bounced back wonderfully after a difficult Zonal in Kingston, to tie for first in the Canadian Open. He will be heading to India to play board two for Canada in the Olympiad. In a tie for first with Shawn, ahead of ten GMs, that is exceptional!! And, I note, no short draws among the leaders; we saw battle-it-out chess right down the line!!
                          FM Zachary Dukic had another strong tournament to end with 7/9 in Hamilton, defeating American GM Jason Sheng in a dandy final round game.
                          WGM Maili-Jade Oullett continued her strong recent play in the Open, to tie for top women's prize. She will play board one for Canada in India.
                          GM Razvan Preotu had a tough Canadian Open, losing three games to lower-rated players. This is a concern right now, since he is set to play board three for Canada in India.

Comment

Originally posted by Francis Rodriguez View Post

Thanks Hans!
                            Our 'forgotten hero' is now on his way
                            to the Chess Olympiad, where Fide has
                            appointed him an official Arbiter!
                            Yes, Omar Shah was appointed, congratulations!!

I thought all the names were out there, but to be sure:
                            the Organizers were Patrick, Hal, and Bob; who also acted as Arbiters (in increasing order)
                            the core Arbiter team was Omar, Brian, and myself.

(I thought I had seen everyone's name already, but to be on the safe side, here they all are)

Comment

Thanks Aris for clarification. and congratulations to Omar.

Comment

and congratulations to Zach Dukic who had another great tournament.

Comment

Working...
                                X