Chess...and your will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chess...and your will

I am updating the 1985 version of my will. Within it, I have a clause donating all my chess books and memorabilia to the CFC (then in a house on Olmstead St. in suburban Ottawa). Without permanent headquarters now for the CFC, I will have to change this. I don't want them going into a dumpster, and preferably not into a second-hand bookstore.

Are there others in the same situation? What is a good destination for the chess books of the deceased? Are there individuals/collectors that would love to have several hundred chess books bequeathed to them - possibly receiving them several decades from now? Libraries generally don't want them. Is it possible to fund a chess collection in a library, if one is able to supply the space? Do any Canadian chess clubs have a significant library (that won't suddenly get sold off) that would accept hundreds more books?

On a related note, I recall a story about the CFC storage in Ottawa being cleaned out and (some of) contents moved elsewhere... not sure the details. Perhaps someone could fill in the details?

Does the CFC actually have any storage space and is it climate-controlled and insured etc?
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Also related to this, I hope players consider the Chess Foundation of Canada in their wills.
      Paul Leblanc
      Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Some years ago I checked with my local library to see if they had any interest in a chess book bequest. They said no unless it was accompanied by enough money to a) convert all paperbacks to library-style bindings and b) provide for future maintenance and repairs for some unspecified period (unspecified because the discussion never got that far).
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Maybe the Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec (BAnQ) at Berri UQAM ?

Comment

Good question. The Calgary Chess Club has a good sized library and I believe they are open to donations, but a large personal collection (more than 200 books) may be a problem. I am sure there are other clubs in Canada that would take donations, you would have to ask around I guess.

Comment

Perhaps to our Library and Archives Canada ...

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/about-...-material.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                Perhaps to our Library and Archives Canada ...

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/about-...-material.aspx

"published in Canada ... etc" seems to be a bit of a severe limitation for most collections.
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

"published in Canada ... etc" seems to be a bit of a severe limitation for most collections.
                  I have no idea what Brodie's collection contains, thanks anyways.

Comment

My suggestion would be to find someone, perhaps a studious young person, who would truly appreciate the collection. For example, many years ago I gave perhaps 100 or more chess books to Grandmasterov, a fine man whom I knew would be thankful.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                      My suggestion would be to find someone, perhaps a studious young person, who would truly appreciate the collection. For example, many years ago I gave perhaps 100 or more chess books to Grandmasterov, a fine man whom I knew would be thankful.
                      I still have most of them, ha!

Some of your books I gave to the RA Chess Club to start their lending library. I have no idea what happened to all those books now.

Comment

I still have the Bobby Orr card you gave to me. :) The greatest of all time!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                          I still have the Bobby Orr card you gave to me. :) The greatest of all time!!
                          Enharmonic equivalent, ha!

Be great if we took a trek over to the Library and Archives Canada! Maisy (Paul Maisonneuv) and me did this wayyy back when. Discovered an amazing amount of Canadian content such as Maurice Fox unpublished material.

Be great if some of the Brodie collection was one day to found along side.

Comment

Would just donate them to your local library.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                              Would just donate them to your local library.
                              Sure - but if they don't circulate enough, they will end up in the library's second-hand book sale, unless they are part of a special collection. Not all libraries welcome (or have space for) special collections.

Comment

Working...
                              X