Niemann - Carlsen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
    Thanks Sid. Argument by analogy is in my view not effective because one has to prove the analogy to be demonstrative, which is essentially impossible. Now, I do admit that the evidence you refer to arouses suspicion, but it does not in my view prove, nor does it in my view demonstrate beyond a reasonable doubt. The concept of reasonable doubt is subjective and reasonable people can disagree on what is reasonable doubt and what is not. And I am not at all convinced that Niemann has cheated over the board. Of course he may have, but this has not in my view been shown beyond a reasonable doubt. And again, the reason that I feel this way is because opportunity has not been demonstrated. You have posited a theory about opportunity, and I admit that maybe that is how he did it, but again...
    This is not a criminal case, it is a civil case. In order to win a civil case, a "preponderance of evidence" is all that is required to win it. At a minimum, Magnus certainly has enough evidence that it would arouse suspicion hence the allegation that this is malicious defamation based on NO evidence is incorrect. I think this is actually good for chess as it is possible a novel new way of detecting cheating has come to light, and I have no doubt that Magnus will have no problem finding data scientists as professional witnesses that will discuss the merits of this approach.
    It is very possible, as I described, that in the discovery they may even be able to find evidence of opportunity.
    Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Monday, 24th October, 2022, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...without_a_body.

At the risk of being repetitive, I have yet to see a satisfactory explanation of this correlative evidence

https://medium.com/@rafaelvleite82/h...l-bea9485055de

Ken Regan offered up issues with average centipawn loss itself as a barometer of correlation however, the blunt fact is the identical methodology replete with issues
      described was applied to a group of players when they climbed from 2500 rating to 2700 rating, with only Hans Nieman having a unique pattern of essentially
      no statistical change in this metric compared to all other OTB players who achieved these lofty heights.
      Statistically, this is an impossible result. Many have been both exonerated and convicted of far worst crimes even though the body, figuratively speaking, is absent.

It would be interesting during the discoveries to subpoena all of Han's financial transactions, ie, credit card purchases, to track all purchases of things like implanted transmitters and receivers, medical procedures, etc.

If a single counter-example could be found of a player who climbed from 2500-2700 with a pattern similar to Hans, this would be enough to acquit him. In my opinion, I doubt if such a counterexample exists.

In my opinion the onus would be on you to show that it is feasible to cheat in this way. I.e., to selectively cheat in such a way that you gain rating points while making your play look like someone rated 200 points lower. You could probably run some simulations with chess engines to see if there is a feasible cheating strategy that would achieve this sort of result.

meanwhile it is totally feasible that this could happen without cheating:
      -if Hans went on a lucky run for a few tournaments
      -if he Is very good at the psychological "meta-game" and provokes bad play from his opponents
      -if he is a young player on the rise and his opponents tend to underestimate him
      -if he has an unorthodox style that his opponents have not yet adapted to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post

In my opinion the onus would be on you to show that it is feasible to cheat in this way. I.e., to selectively cheat in such a way that you gain rating points while making your play look like someone rated 200 points lower. You could probably run some simulations with chess engines to see if there is a feasible cheating strategy that would achieve this sort of result.

-if he Is very good at the psychological "meta-game" and provokes bad play from his opponents
        -if he is a young player on the rise and his opponents tend to underestimate him
        Originally posted by Patrick Kirby View Post
        Hans Neiman's Average Centipawn loss pattern, as compared to many other players that rose from 2500-2700, is unique, whilst the other players are the same.
        Show me a single counter-example, and I would buy what you are saying.

Comment

Hans Neiman's Average Centipawn loss pattern, as compared to many other players that rose from 2500-2700, is unique, whilst the other players are the same.
          Both GMs MVL and Caruana have said that after having played against Niemann several times, Niemann plays at 2700 level.

Even Carlsen himself said he was impressed that Niemann is doing a great job, ha!

I wonder how quickly these lawsuits will be settled out of court?

Comment

This is not a criminal case, it is a civil case. In order to win a civil case, a "preponderance of evidence" is all that is required to win it. At a minimum, Magnus certainly has enough evidence that it would arouse suspicion hence the allegation that this is malicious defamation based on NO evidence is incorrect. I think this is actually good for chess as it is possible a novel new way of detecting cheating has come to light, and I have no doubt that Magnus will have no problem finding data scientists as professional witnesses that will discuss the merits of this approach.
            It is very possible, as I described, that in the discovery they may even be able to find evidence of opportunity.
            A reasonable response, but I am not prepared to ruin a person's entire career based upon a preponderance of evidence in this case. However, if opportunity is demonstrated then I will certainly reconsider my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post

Both GMs MVL and Caruana have said that after having played against Niemann several times, Niemann plays at 2700 level.

Even Carlsen himself said he was impressed that Niemann is doing a great job, ha!

I wonder how quickly these lawsuits will be settled out of court?
              Great, but that does not answer the question I have pointed out that undoubtedly. Magnus's counsel will bring it up in court. I hope
              they do not settle out of court, as I would like to see a refutation to the correlation analysis if there is one.

Comment

Great, but that does not answer the question I have pointed out that undoubtedly. Magnus's counsel will bring it up in court. I hope
                they do not settle out of court, as I would like to see a refutation to the correlation analysis if there is one.

But perhaps even more telling ...

Where was all this global mega-persecution / mega-analyzing of Hans Moke Niemann prior to his wonderful win over Carlsen at the Sinquefield Cup in St. Louis???

Where was it? Seriously, where was it?

There wasn't any to my knowledge ... not at the deafening volume we now have post Carlsen's loss.

Simple question for a judge to ask, no?

Niemann's court case(s) seems so easy to win on that merit alone ... along with the chess communities GM validation of Niemann's current playing strength.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

A reasonable response, but I am not prepared to ruin a person's entire career based upon a preponderance of evidence in this case. However, if opportunity is demonstrated then I will certainly reconsider my opinion.
                  I share this viewpoint in this matter. I think it is entirely possible that Carlsen just doesn't LIKE Neiman and decided to derail Neimann's career.

And I think if Peter McKillop traded places with Carlsen, Peter might just do the same thing. Peter is on record here as detesting the fact that Neimann did once get caught cheating, when he was much younger and was playing online chess. For Peter, this seems to be an indicator of guilt in the current situation, and so Peter, maybe I should put it to you as a question: would you do (in Carlsen's place) just what Carlsen did? i.e. the 1-move resignation, and the insinuations of OTB cheating?

I don't bring up Peter to troll him, but to demonstrate that strong opinions about online cheating even at a young age and even considering how easy it is to cheat at online chess CAN BE influential in how one in Carlsen's position at the top of the chess playing pyramid can behave towards one who did get caught cheating in online chess. And we all have to take that into account.... Carlsen could be a "hater".

Comment

Just because he may be an outlier isn't an indicator of cheating. There aren't that many people who have reached 2700, so your sample size is too small to get any real idea of anything. Not to mention that the game had changed greatly in the last 10 years with better training tools, greater opportunities to improve via online play, etc.

Usually people claim cheating when a person performs at an unusually high level compared to their rating. You're arguing that Hans performed at a lower level than his rating suggests, and this is somehow evidence of cheating. I believe the onus is on you to explain how this makes sense.

Comment

Just because he may be an outlier isn't an indicator of cheating. There aren't that many people who have reached 2700, so your sample size is too small to get any real idea of anything. Not to mention that the game had changed greatly in the last 10 years with better training tools, greater opportunities to improve via online play, etc.

Usually people claim cheating when a person performs at an unusually high level compared to their rating. You're arguing that Hans performed at a lower level than his rating suggests, and this is somehow evidence of cheating. I believe the onus is on you to explain how this makes sense.
                      Patrick, read this article very carefully, and then tell me if you think that is what the author is stating.
                      https://medium.com/@rafaelvleite82/h...l-bea9485055de

Comment

• That's the whole point. I don't understand what the author is trying to imply. Playing less "computer-precise" than other players of your rating could indicate any number of things, some of which I mentioned in my previous post. The one thing I don't think it indicates is cheating with a computer. If you think otherwise, it's up to you to make that case.

Comment

• Young players DO often play more like computers than the older generations. The younger generation learned from watching the way computers play, the older generation learned from looking at the games of the greatest humans. Therefore, to accuse a young player of cheating because he plays like a computer is very dangerous and needs to be considered carefully. Twenty years from now every good player will play like a computer. Carlsen is likely the last world champion who learned by looking at the games of humans. I do not accept any of the arguments based upon comparing Niemann's moves to those of computers. Show me opportunity, and prove it, or leave the man alone.

Comment

That's the whole point. I don't understand what the author is trying to imply. Playing less "computer-precise" than other players of your rating could indicate any number of things, some of which I mentioned in my previous post. The one thing I don't think it indicates is cheating with a computer. If you think otherwise, it's up to you to make that case.
                            Well, let's see what happens in the discoveries. I have already pointed out at least one scenario of how this could work. I am very skeptical that the one who is
                            under scrutiny, just happens to be the "outlier.".

Comment

• Anyone who claims cheating by Niemann in the original Carlson -Niemann game has not looked at the game. Carlson played poorly (0.63 per move centipawn loss) and Niemann played okay for a grandmaster (0.21 centipawn loss) going from memory. Relative to the engines Magnus lost two more pawns every three moves. There is a lot of nonsense being published about Niemann and his supposed accuracy. You have to go a bit deeper and you soon realize that it is nonsense. The acknowledged world authority on chess cheating (Ken Regan) has rendered the opinion that Niemann did not cheat in that game nor in his OTB games. I would tend to trust that opinion more than those others which do not display the same academic and mathematical/statistical rigour.

I am typing this on a tablet which is being very annoying and “correcting” my spelling.
                              Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 25th October, 2022, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Well, let's see what happens in the discoveries. I have already pointed out at least one scenario of how this could work. I am very skeptical that the one who is
                                under scrutiny, just happens to be the "outlier.".
                                Carlsen was well aware of Niemann's rise OTB and also was well aware of Niemann's online cheating.

And yet ...

Prior to when Carlsen snapped after losing to Niemann during the Sinquefield Cup in St. Louis ... Niemann was named as a brand ambassador for Play Magnus and Chessable.

A partnership involving Niemann playing in the Carlsen Champions Chess Tour and producing lessons under a subsidiary of Play Magnus, Chessable, while he receives support to play.

... so again, where was all this global mega-persecution / mega-analyzing of Hans Moke Niemann prior to his wonderful win over Carlsen at the Sinquefield Cup in St. Louis???

Where was it?
                                Simple question for a judge to ask, no?

Don't forget ... in his filing Niemann has requested Trail by Jury.

Last edited by Neil Frarey; Tuesday, 25th October, 2022, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X