Niemann - Carlsen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

I hope Niemann gets blown out of the water. Can you imagine how "good" it would be for chess if a self-admitted cheater can successfully sue someone for being concerned that the cheater might be cheating? And on what basis is Niemann claiming harm? Carlsen dropped out of the Sinquefeld Cup, thus effectively increasing the potential prize pool for everyone else (best player in the world leaves and everyone else moves up a step). Then the next time they met, Carlsen gifted the kid a full point. Haven't heard anything about Niemann being shunned by chess organizers. Have you? Niemann is a POS who made his own bed. Let him sleep in it!
    Peter, you can't be serious (?). I am trying not to take sides here but... if Niemann has not cheated OTB, what Carlsen is doing / has done, is very much harmful to Niemann's career prospects.
    Has Carlsen come out and outright call him a cheater OTB? Maybe not, but his actions and insinuations are very clear. Carlsen is treating Niemann like a cheater, and the chess world has reacted to it. If you or I said Niemann was cheating, nobody would have cared, or known about our thoughts.

I bet there are several organizers (top ones) out there who are probably weighing their options. And Peter, if they decide it's not worth the trouble, we won't hear about it. You will not have an organizer come and tell you "we're not inviting Niemann because... ", lets get real. Why would a closed event organizer invite Niemann? Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Never mind the anti-cheating measures, the searches, the concerns, the media hype and the possible fiasco and him being caught and the whole tournament story becoming about that. Other top players may (or outright will refuse) not want to play in an event that features Niemann in the line-up. Or won't feel comfortable / play their best chess. On the flip-side, pre-Sinquefield Cup, Niemann looked like a great possible invitee to all the top tournaments, as an up-and-coming rising super star.

----

I don't know if Niemann was cheating. If he did cheat, he should be made an example of, healthy ban, the works. But if he was not...?
    Truth is, it was Carlsen's behavior that caused this entire thing.
    I would certainly be in agreement though, that lawsuits / etc are unlikely to bring any good out of this. This whole thing has been totally blown out of proportion, and chess is making mainstream news for the wrong reasons.

Alex F.

Comment

• Haha, only lawyers win in litigation.

Seems like Hans family is ok well off, lived in SF, went to private school. But for sure MC, Naka, chess.com all have way more resources than him.

I guess that’s why he’s suing. He has no case against Naka and chess.com. Even by some miracle he wins some money against MC, Magnus can just say “f-off, I’m retiring anyways” and go back to Norway.

Comment

• Naka - in his many hours of streaming he never directly called Hans a cheater, he just presented the evidence in a interesting way for people to judge

chess.com - gave him 2nd chance account after he cheated multiple times, Hans then cheated on his 2nd chance account. Have emails and games to back up

Hans has no collusion evidence between the 3 defendants, much much less than OTB cheating evidence against him over past 3 years.

Comment

• In support of those who take the side of Carlsen and the others against Niemann, I will say that he should already have been banned for life from competing in online events. Why he has not been is a question that seems relevant to me. There is no way he should be allowed to compete in a mode of chess wherein cheating is relatively easy and cannot be policed adequately short of monitors being placed in the room of every player in the various parts of the planet where they are playing from. Niemann, I believe, has already disqualified himself from the right to compete online. So why do not Carlsen and his cronies focus on this? To accuse Niemann of cheating over the board without offering any explanation as to how he could possibly do it, and simply saying "well, ah, we do not think he is that good", is not good enough, not even close. Tell us how Niemann pulls it off, or shut up and simply try to get him removed from online play, which is reasonable, and quite possibly something that should already have been done.

Comment

• Here is the BBC coverage today https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63338375

The lawsuit will be decided on its legal merits. I have the popcorn at hand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
              In support of those who take the side of Carlsen and the others against Niemann, I will say that he should already have been banned for life from competing in online events. Why he has not been is a question that seems relevant to me. There is no way he should be allowed to compete in a mode of chess wherein cheating is relatively easy and cannot be policed adequately short of monitors being placed in the room of every player in the various parts of the planet where they are playing from. Niemann, I believe, has already disqualified himself from the right to compete online. So why do not Carlsen and his cronies focus on this? To accuse Niemann of cheating over the board without offering any explanation as to how he could possibly do it, and simply saying "well, ah, we do not think he is that good", is not good enough, not even close. Tell us how Niemann pulls it off, or shut up and simply try to get him removed from online play, which is reasonable, and quite possibly something that should already have been done.
              Assuming all of his cheating online were committed when he was a minor, should he not be given a chance as an adult? Even in cases where minors commit murder they are not generally treated like adults. Why should this relatively small offense be different?

"Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post

Assuming all of his cheating online were committed when he was a minor, should he not be given a chance as an adult? Even in cases where minors commit murder they are not generally treated like adults. Why should this relatively small offense be different?

You may be right. This is of course an ongoing debate in society. Personally, I think we are too lenient on young offenders. There are many cases of young people committing various crimes knowing that they will not be held responsible due to their age. Our personalities are generally developed by the time we are five or six years old, at least most so-called experts contend. Yes, people can reform, and depending upon the circumstances of their infractions they should be given a second chance. Has Neimann reformed? Who knows? I do not think he should be allowed to play in money events online without a monitor in the room watching him as he plays. It is not fair to the other players if he is allowed to play online without proper scrutiny, it seems to me.

Comment

• As I have stated earlier, as entertaining as this may or may not be, it is very bad for chess. Like some of the other posters on this forum, I have a large amount of experience with chess parents of children who play, and many of them will shun chess because of this fiasco. If they think their child may get cheated, they will look to other activities. Some will not, but lots will. Carlsen is a dimwitted shortsighted coward. He is now very bad for the future of the game we love.

Comment

• If I may, a slight clarification ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	As_I_have_love.gif Views:	0 Size:	11.0 KB ID:	222447

... please, shoot me now.

Comment

• All You Need Is Love (Remastered 2009) - YouTube

Love you Bro...

Comment

As I have stated earlier, as entertaining as this may or may not be, it is very bad for chess. Like some of the other posters on this forum, I have a large amount of experience with chess parents of children who play, and many of them will shun chess because of this fiasco. If they think their child may get cheated, they will look to other activities. Some will not, but lots will. Carlsen is a dimwitted shortsighted coward. He is now very bad for the future of the game we love.
                        In my experience, for the most part, chess parents are only in it for what their kids can get out of chess, and don't contribute much to the long term future of the game. Let me give a super quick example; it's 2022. The 2012 Canadian junior championship had 12 participants; I looked at how much chess those kids are still playing by seeing how many classical games they've played in the last 5 years.

50+ games: 2
                        20+ games: 1
                        1-10 games: 3
                        0 games: 6 (including the champ)

Kids in chess are good for injecting some parental money into the chess economy. They do very little to make the game grow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post

Peter, you can't be serious (?). I am trying not to take sides here but... if Niemann has not cheated OTB, what Carlsen is doing / has done, is very much harmful to Niemann's career prospects.
                          Has Carlsen come out and outright call him a cheater OTB? Maybe not, but his actions and insinuations are very clear. Carlsen is treating Niemann like a cheater, and the chess world has reacted to it. If you or I said Niemann was cheating, nobody would have cared, or known about our thoughts.

I bet there are several organizers (top ones) out there who are probably weighing their options. And Peter, if they decide it's not worth the trouble, we won't hear about it. You will not have an organizer come and tell you "we're not inviting Niemann because... ", lets get real. Why would a closed event organizer invite Niemann? Sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Never mind the anti-cheating measures, the searches, the concerns, the media hype and the possible fiasco and him being caught and the whole tournament story becoming about that. Other top players may (or outright will refuse) not want to play in an event that features Niemann in the line-up. Or won't feel comfortable / play their best chess. On the flip-side, pre-Sinquefield Cup, Niemann looked like a great possible invitee to all the top tournaments, as an up-and-coming rising super star.

----

I don't know if Niemann was cheating. If he did cheat, he should be made an example of, healthy ban, the works. But if he was not...?
                          Truth is, it was Carlsen's behavior that caused this entire thing.
                          I would certainly be in agreement though, that lawsuits / etc are unlikely to bring any good out of this. This whole thing has been totally blown out of proportion, and chess is making mainstream news for the wrong reasons.

Alex F.
                          Hi Alex. Carlsen, or any other chess player, organizer, sponsor, etc., has every right to be concerned about whether Niemann, a liar and self-confessed online cheater, might also cheat in OTB tournaments. How much of this concern they may express publicly is, apparently, now up to the courts. Good luck to Niemann with his lawsuit (sarcasm). It took them 10+ years to nail Alex Jones in what has to be one of the nastiest defamation suits in any of our lifetimes. Can you imagine publicly pushing the lie that the Sandy Hook parents were, among other things, responsible for the deaths of their own children?? And yet, despite Jones' malicious intent (padding his own pockets with the profits from increased attention and product sales) it took a decade to nail him - and he still has appeal privileges. What sort of malicious intent will Niemann be able to prove against Carlsen?

To your point that Carlsen's behaviour caused this entire thing, I don't see it that way at all. Niemann is the cheater. Trying to argue that he hasn't cheated OTB (or been caught, yet) and so his online cheating shouldn't matter because he didn't really hurt anyone by cheating online, and he was just a kid, doesn't fly with me. Niemann has admitted that he cheated to inflate his rating so that he could play against stronger players. Maybe other players had the same aspiration but were denied because Niemann effectively stole rating points from them. Plus, haven't seen the details, but some of Niemann's online cheating reportedly occurred in events with prize money. So, Carlsen's behaviour may have been a primary factor in all of this coming to a head but it's all based on Niemann's self-admitted behaviour. Niemann is responsible for his own problems.
                          Last edited by Peter McKillop; Saturday, 22nd October, 2022, 03:40 PM.
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

• Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                            Niemann has admitted that he cheated to inflate his rating so that he could play against stronger players. Maybe other players had the same aspiration but were denied because Niemann effectively stile rating points from them. Plus, haven't seen the details, but some of Niemann's online cheating reportedly occurred in events with prize money.
                            Which is why it seems wrong to me that Niemann is still allowed to play online and win money at it. But over the board is in my view a different animal, and unless one can show how Niemann could possibly cheat over the board given the protocols in place, then one should keep one's mouth shut and not accuse without demonstrating opportunity, or any convincing proof at all.

Comment

Which is why it seems wrong to me that Niemann is still allowed to play online and win money at it. But over the board is in my view a different animal, and unless one can show how Niemann could possibly cheat over the board given the protocols in place, then one should keep one's mouth shut and not accuse without demonstrating opportunity, or any convincing proof at all.
                              Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post
                              show how Niemann could possibly cheat over the board given the protocols in place
                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...without_a_body.

At the risk of being repetitive, I have yet to see a satisfactory explanation of this correlative evidence

https://medium.com/@rafaelvleite82/h...l-bea9485055de

Ken Regan offered up issues with average centipawn loss itself as a barometer of correlation however, the blunt fact is the identical methodology replete with issues
                              described was applied to a group of players when they climbed from 2500 rating to 2700 rating, with only Hans Nieman having a unique pattern of essentially
                              no statistical change in this metric compared to all other OTB players who achieved these lofty heights.
                              Statistically, this is an impossible result. Many have been both exonerated and convicted of far worst crimes even though the body, figuratively speaking, is absent.

It would be interesting during the discoveries to subpoena all of Han's financial transactions, ie, credit card purchases, to track all purchases of things like implanted transmitters and receivers, medical procedures, etc.

If a single counter-example could be found of a player who climbed from 2500-2700 with a pattern similar to Hans, this would be enough to acquit him. In my opinion, I doubt if such a counterexample exists.

Last edited by Sid Belzberg; Sunday, 23rd October, 2022, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• Thanks Sid. Argument by analogy is in my view not effective because one has to prove the analogy to be demonstrative, which is essentially impossible. Now, I do admit that the evidence you refer to arouses suspicion, but it does not in my view prove, nor does it in my view demonstrate beyond a reasonable doubt. The concept of reasonable doubt is subjective and reasonable people can disagree on what is reasonable doubt and what is not. And I am not at all convinced that Niemann has cheated over the board. Of course he may have, but this has not in my view been shown beyond a reasonable doubt. And again, the reason that I feel this way is because opportunity has not been demonstrated. You have posited a theory about opportunity, and I admit that maybe that is how he did it, but again...

Comment

Working...
                                X