Niemann - Carlsen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    https://en.chessbase.com/post/is-han...regan-analyzes Ken Regan declares Hans Niemann is not cheating.
    If I may suggest, this article, and all the sublinks, are critical reading towards understanding the situation.

I hope people can do that. It's more challenging than reflexively joining blaming, but this is quite important.

I despise cheaters as much as anyone, but I do believe in the usual value of "innocent until proven guilty".
    Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Wednesday, 21st September, 2022, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
      Everyone can keep demanding that Carlsen explain himself or make outright claims. Legally you cannot do this without proof or open yourself to liability. That doesn't preclude him from personally being 100% convinced that there's a reason he doesn't want to play this player and believing the chess world should not have Niemann in it.

Soon organizers will realize they have a choice:

Invite both, and have the integrity of the event irrevocably tainted by a 2 move resignation
      Invite Niemann but not Carlsen
      Invite Carlsen but not Niemann

I have a feeling I know what the choice will be, so Carlsen will get his way and achieve what he believes is the moral right.
      Looks very logical. I think you've hit the nail on the head.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

It is sad that all the talk is about Carlsen's conduct and not about the wonderful series of performances in Saint Louis by Firouzja.

Comment

Originally posted by Aris Marghetis View Post

If I may suggest, this article, and all the sublinks, are critical reading towards understanding the situation.

I hope people can do that. It's more work than blaming the kid for his past, but it's the right thing to do.

I despise cheaters as much as anyone, but in this case, Niemann seems innocent, now even bullied.
          Unfortunately, despite such articles (written by people with more than enough experience) most chess players will have formed an opinion right out of the gate and then stick to it.
          (Sound familiar...? lol)
          I have heard people simply say "Carlsen is world champion so Niemann must have cheated". Unreal leap of logic there.
          I have been following Ken Regan's work for years and believe he is both impartial and very knowledgeable about cheating analysis.
          People have their own bias and that likely will steer them toward one player or the other.

As current World Champion (I guess he is), Carlsen should explain himself in my opinion.
          If he is not willing to do so, FIDE should consider sanctioning him just like any other player who exhibits such terrible behaviour.
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            https://en.chessbase.com/post/is-han...regan-analyzes Ken Regan declares Hans Niemann is not cheating.
            There's an alternate possible way to look at this, which relates back to Kasparov's first loss to Deep Blue. When you think your opponent is cheating (even if they're not), you tend to play worse against them. Why do so many people play worse against Niemann? Maybe they believe (via proof or insinuation or rumor) that he's cheating, and they play worse.

Comment

And they could be facing each other again in this tournament in knockout round where pairings play 4 game matches, ha!

Comment

In Gibraltar 2017, Hou Yifan (the World Champion) resigned game 10 after five moves as a protest of the pairings. She had faced 7 women in 10 rounds and believed the parings had been manipulated. https://en.chessbase.com/post/gibraltar-flash

She later apologized.

In an exclusive interview with the Festival press team Hou Yifan tells Tania Sachdev she apologized to chess players, to her fans and those following the Gibraltar Masters. Hou Yifan said she had been dissatisfied and had been upset with the pairings throughout the tournament as she had drawn seven women players out of 10 rounds. Tournament organizer, Brian Callaghan, interviewed directly after the Women’s World Champion was disappointed at what had happened and felt she had let herself down. Being a World Champion he said brought with it a great responsibility. Although sympathetic about her reason for giving her game away, Mr. Callaghan was quite clear that he did not believe the pairings had been wrong or that the move by Hou Yifan had damaged the tournament. But he did refer to the world champion having had a “bad day at the office”. Mr. Callaghan insisted the festival had welcomed her several times to the Rock and the festival had always been a keen promoter of the women’s game in chess and that this would continue into the future.

Comment

Maurice Ashley was to be heard on CBC Radio twice during the overnight news shows, once on As it Happens, then on a show originating in America. He tried to be non-committal but did go so far as to say there is no evidence to suggest that Niemann cheated and that the moves of the game in question contained errors and that the game as a whole did not look at all like a computer influenced game.

I cannot help but wonder if Carlsen is suffering from mental illness and needs compassion from all of us and help from qualified doctors.

Comment

Originally posted by George Stajov View Post
                    In Gibraltar 2017, Hou Yifan (the World Champion) resigned game 10 after five moves as a protest of the pairings. She had faced 7 women in 10 rounds and believed the parings had been manipulated. https://en.chessbase.com/post/gibraltar-flash

She later apologized.
                    Her apology was absolutely required. She stated the reason she withdrew which implied bad action on the part of the arbiters, and she was 100% proven wrong. Her responsibility to apologize at that moment had nothing to do with being World Champion - it was just basic human decency.

I have sympathy that Carlsen cannot explain his reasons for his actions, and there's enough questions about Niemann that I'm not going to be sure Carlsen is 100% wrong yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad Thomson View Post

I cannot help but wonder if Carlsen is suffering from mental illness and needs compassion from all of us and help from qualified doctors.
                      À la Bobby Fischer? Seems doubtful, but .....? Meanwhile back at the ranch, I've attached the text of a tweet from chess.com. It doesn't have a date - I copied it from an article at NPR and did the best I could considering I'm a decrepit, foul-tempered oldster. Re the tweet, the implication seems to be that Niemann downplayed the extent of his cheating ways.

p.s. I love the incongruity between "Dear Chess Community" and "privately remove him." Too bad there has to be assholes like Putin and Trump. Life could be so much fun without them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FcKxn9EX0AAXsBr.jpeg.jpg Views:	0 Size:	18.7 KB ID:	221862
                      Last edited by Peter McKillop; Wednesday, 21st September, 2022, 04:58 PM.
                      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Unfortunately I cannot particularly speak on that but people can draw their own conclusion & they certainly have. I have to say I am very impressed by Niemann's play & I think his mentor Maxim Dlugy must have been doing a great job.
                        https://youtu.be/c50PJmOj2-U?t=55

Sept. 21, 2022

Comment

I am of course no expert, but in this interview Magnus seems lethargic, depressed and very tired. He is constantly slouching and never looks at the camera. The poor fellow has problems of some kind, this is certain. What they are one cannot say, but he needs help it seems to me.

Comment

I think this interview was well staged, ha!

Cry Baby Carlsen is now conducting repair of his global brand.

Comment

Even lesser lights such as GM Levon Aronian.

Today he is walking back his remarks made yesterday on the character of Niemann's play, ha!

Comment

I am not so sure now Grandmasterov, though you may be right.

Yes, earlier I called him a "suck" and a "bum" but I think I may have been wrong. I do fear that this poor man has some serious issues that he needs help with. Of course, what he did and continues to do is terribly wrong, but I do wonder now about the reasons. Magnus may be a very troubled man emotionally/psychologically/spiritually. His about face on Niemann adds credence to this view, though again Grandmasterov, your explanation may have merit.

I do hope that Magnus is well, and I do hope that if he is not that he receives the help he needs.

Comment

Working...
                                X