Recognize Chess as a Sport in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Olga Mushtaler View Post
    Sorry guys, just reading this now. See there a lot has been written. Thanks for your support!!! ❤
    Here are two nice articles on this. I'm not the first to think of this. I'm just acting on it.
    https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/hi...pporting-chess
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/chess-...says-1.6122303

"This year, Sport Canada has supported hockey in Canada with nearly $7 million. It has given an additional $1.5 million toward individual hockey players through its athlete assistance program. But Sport Canada isn’t just generous to hockey. It’s giving more than $300,000 to bowling; $5.2 million to curling; $200,000 to surfing; more than $1 million to cricket; almost $700,000 to ringette; about $250,000 to skateboarding; and more than $500,000 to archery."

THIS IS CRIMINAL at a time when people are not getting needed medical attention due to LACK of funding.

I hope Karma visits your world, Olga.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

Well of course the above was expected. Based on your history at Chesstalk, Pargat, whenever you feel you're not getting the respect you think you deserve, the result is a temper tantrum. Temper tantrums where you twist people's words, make baseless accusations, set up laughable straw men, blah, blah, blah.

But wait! Did I behave badly? Did I come racing out with a sarcastic post when it wasn't warranted? Maybe there was something in your post to Olga that I missed or didn't understand. So why don't we go back and have another look at what you said to Olga. Here it is:

Now first, Pargat, do you know Olga personally? Have you ever met her or corresponded with her? Have you ever had a calm, polite, rational discussion with her regarding why she's interested in some government funding for chess? When I first read your comments to Olga, it seemed to me that you were accusing her of being thoughtless and uncaring about children. And if Olga is someone you don't know personally then why were you so rude to her? What is the point of referring to her as a non-person?

Did I misinterpret something, Pargat? Why don't you go ahead and explain why treating a total stranger (if Olga is that to you) like a piece of crap in public is justified simply because you have a different opinion on what is really a fairly innocuous issue.

p.s. For the record, I don't know Olga.

Like YOU have never had a temper tantrum on ChessTalk. I seem to remember you having to apologize some time ago. I guess you learned NOTHING.

Olga has come out of nowhere, and suddenly she is a poster girl for taxpayer funding for chess in Canada. Awwwww, she loves children!!! How cute! Maybe she should see how children AND adults get treated in ERs across the country due to lack of funding.

I don't have to tell you anything, dirtbag! Do you know Putin personally? Google double-standard, google hypocrisy.

And for the record, I said Olga WOULD BE a non-person if, after considering the fact of health care underfunding in Canada, she still went ahead with her petition. She is doing that, so yes, NOW she is a non-person to me.

All of this is going to go public. I have already begun to call my contacts. Since none of you know me, including Mr. Noritsyn who likes to characterize me to his great embarrassment if he knew the truth, none of you know just who my contacts are and how much influence I might have. That's the way I like it.

This isn't just a war against chess taxpayer funding, which doesn't even exist yet except possibly for some Trillium thing that someone mentioned that I'm not familiar with. This is a war against ALL sports taxpayer funding except facilities provision and maintenance. And that is anything but a "fairly innocuous issue".

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
        Thank you, Olga. I have signed your petition.

There have been a few interesting posts here whether or not chess is a sport, and on the role of government support for sports etc.
        A variety of opinions, that's okay.

But then it seem inevitable that some guy with an extreme position has to spoil it all by yelling, insulting, and threatening everyone who doesn't agree with him.
        What do they say, "that's why we can't have nice things"

Good luck with the petition. Most of us do appreciate your efforts.

Your name will be associated with preferring taxpayer funding for chess rather than taxpayer funding for health care.

"That's why we can't have nice things" ..... omg, how pathetic! Whine a little louder!

It is not an extreme position to prefer health care funding over chess funding. But you're a chess person, you work for the CFC I believe, so you are as biased as they come.

Oh, and if you want yelling, insulting, threatening .... go to an ER anywhere in Ontario right now. Spend the day there.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Let us know what have you done to stop the Ontario government to support the chess activities through their Trillium funding. There were not many but still not round zero.

From the latest report:
          Chess Institute of Canada $60,500

And why are you so angry?

The right question is:
          WHY ISN'T ALL OF CANADA ANGRY?

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/11/...ergency-rooms/

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/rci/en/news/1896079/patients-tell-the-inside-story-of-ontarios-emergency-rooms

Educate yourself. DON'T WAIT FOR A MEDICAL EMERGENCY!
          Last edited by Pargat Perrer; Tuesday, 20th December, 2022, 03:20 AM.

Comment

The reason why following chesstalk posts becomes irrelevant and impossible after the first page or two ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	duty_calls.png Views:	0 Size:	14.8 KB ID:	223492

Comment

Originally posted by Pargat Perrer View Post

The right question is:
              WHY ISN'T ALL OF CANADA ANGRY?

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2022/11/...ergency-rooms/

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/rci/en/news/1896079/patients-tell-the-inside-story-of-ontarios-emergency-rooms

Educate yourself. DON'T WAIT FOR A MEDICAL EMERGENCY!
              Dear Pargat,

Before you start advocating for increased spending of our tax dollars on healthcare, let me offer you a really radical and cheap solution. Ban the now proven harmful injections for the population. Especially for children where these injections destroy their immune system and leave them vulnerable to RSV etc. Children are at ZERO risk for COVID so injecting them with an unproven therapy with longitudinal data that now shows harm is criminal and indeed is devasting our healthcare system.
              Let me show you this analysis done by Dr. Norman Fenton and Dr. Martin Neil that shows very strong evidence that there is no correlation between quality of healthcare and excess mortality and a very strong correlation where the greater the number of COVID injections the higher the excess mortality. during the last 12 months.of 2022.

Click image for larger version  Name:	health care excess mortality 2022-12-20 at 6.38.37 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	209.1 KB ID:	223494

As you can see no correlation at all between healthcare quality and excess deaths in countries around the world.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Vaccine vs excess death rate 2022-12-20 at 6.51.28 AM.png Views:	0 Size:	300.0 KB ID:	223495

A very strong correlation between % of population vaccinated and excess mortality in countries around the world.

https://wherearethenumbers.substack....utm_medium=web

The money we save should be put into chess for children so that we can have a generation of kids that have critical thinking skills. Something that this generation has proven to lack sorely.

Comment

Your name will be associated with preferring taxpayer funding for chess rather than taxpayer funding for health care.
                "That's why we can't have nice things" ..... omg, how pathetic! Whine a little louder!
                How ridiculous. I am in favour of increased taxpayer funding for both chess and health care.
                It is not a case of one or the other. Both and other stuff too.

But Bob you say, "Where will we get the money?" Easy, tax the rich!

And now for my clever saying, not whining,

"We can chew gum and walk at the same time!"

Comment

All of this is going to go public. I have already begun to call my contacts. Since none of you know me, including Mr. Noritsyn who likes to characterize me to his great embarrassment if he knew the truth, none of you know just who my contacts are and how much influence I might have. That's the way I like it.
                  oooooooooooooooooooo ... contacts!! And influence. Why is someone with contacts and influence slumming at Chesstalk?

p.s. Seriously Pargat, are you someone really important (other than in your own mind)? Should we be addressing you as Mr. P.P.?
                  Last edited by Peter McKillop; Tuesday, 20th December, 2022, 10:45 AM.
                  "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                  "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                  "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Olga Mushtaler View Post

I agree with you Alex. Canadian Government should support chess as is. But they wouldn't support it when we just play it at home or in the park. I feel like it's 'the sporty, going to the competitions' part that needs to be supported. Mostly youth competitions. I mean, we all working adults here and can support ourselves. But it's difficult for parents of talented kids to send them somewhere with current prices. I have to formulate it better for the petition to the government.
                    Why do parents have to send their kids to competitions to get the benefits of playing chess? If the proposal is to use this money to support elite chess, then I'm really not in favor.

I understand you're trying to get it classified as a sport for the money. While not as strident as another poster in this thread, I would tend to agree the government could spend their money elsewhere to better effect.

I would caution that with government money comes government oversight, as the previous board of Hockey Canada found out - it's not just a big cheque they send you and say "make chess happen." Are we ready for chess to implement SafeSport, full financial audits of every tournament and the CFC, and annual reporting? I have my doubts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

How ridiculous. I am in favour of increased taxpayer funding for both chess and health care.
                      It is not a case of one or the other. Both and other stuff too.

But Bob you say, "Where will we get the money?" Easy, tax the rich!

And now for my clever saying, not whining,

"We can chew gum and walk at the same time!"

We are in a healthcare emergency NOW. We can't wait however many election cycles for your proposed solution of raiding the safes of every Scrooge McDuck out there and taking away their excess bags of money that are just sitting there doing nothing.

Sounds to me like you can chew gum and walk in circles at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid Belzberg View Post

Dear Pargat,
                        The money we save should be put into chess for children so that we can have a generation of kids that have critical thinking skills. Something that this generation has proven to lack sorely.
                        Yeah, Russia had (maybe still has) state sponsorship of chess, and look where it got them.

I'm not against chess for children, and schools can even make it part of their curriculum which does NOT require additional taxpayer monies.

EDIT: I am also in favor of poker in school curriculum (obviously not for money). The reason is that poker teaches everything that chess does, plus it adds the concept of randomness and bad beats. If kids can learn to take bad beats, they will be better adjusted to the world where there is randomness everywhere and bad beats happen all the time. Chess teaches that pure logic and calculation always leads to success, which would be defined as "not losing", but if kids buy into that, then they are ill prepared to handle the real world.
                        Last edited by Pargat Perrer; Tuesday, 20th December, 2022, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

Why do parents have to send their kids to competitions to get the benefits of playing chess? If the proposal is to use this money to support elite chess, then I'm really not in favor.

I understand you're trying to get it classified as a sport for the money. While not as strident as another poster in this thread, I would tend to agree the government could spend their money elsewhere to better effect.

I would caution that with government money comes government oversight, as the previous board of Hockey Canada found out - it's not just a big cheque they send you and say "make chess happen." Are we ready for chess to implement SafeSport, full financial audits of every tournament and the CFC, and annual reporting? I have my doubts.

Finally, a voice of reason here.

I am strident because it is personal for me, the crisis in healthcare funding. And when chessheads start talking about taking taxpayer money and "finding the right MPP" to grab at said money, yeah, I get emotional and I tell them what I think of them putting chess ahead of people's lives and wellbeing. It's a symptom of a larger illness in western societies.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

I like a lot of the Quebec model. Using chess to teach invaluable skills such a lateral thinking is of such great benefit to Canada.

I trust that if and when the CFC develops the correct platforms for chess to become part of a school's curriculum that that would be a good thing.

So in that light I signed the petition.

But I fully agree with you on the matter of the CFC supporting elite chess ... I'm of the grass roots level type of chess.

Grow the base.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post

oooooooooooooooooooo ... contacts!! And influence. Why is someone with contacts and influence slumming at Chesstalk?

p.s. Seriously Pargat, are you someone really important (other than in your own mind)? Should we be addressing you as Mr. P.P.?

Dr. Fraud, it looks like YOU may be the one who is ... unstable? Do you live alone? Are you a senior citizen, with no family or contacts to keep in touch with? Are you jealous of people who have contacts? Do you criticize people for showing humanitarian values?

At any rate .... I am hearing from my contacts that there is nothing to worry about here. There is no stomach at the federal or provincial level for funding something like chess. Doug Ford is under a lot of pressure in Ontario about healthcare funding, as he should be.

This petition of Olga's would amount to nothing, I am assured. Even a few thousand signatures isn't going to get anyone's attention.

Nevertheless, I will be moving ahead with my own petition to severely curtail public sports funding, which my contacts are very intrigued by and feel maybe it's something that is overdue. Almost all of them are ready to get behind it, in fact I haven't had a "no" answer yet, but a few have wanted to hear more details first.

Let's see, the entire chess community versus Ontarians who are worried about healthcare funding and insuficient healthcare resources. Who do you think the numbers favour? :) It's a rhetorical question, naturally.

I guess I should thank Olga. She has inspired me to finally do something I have long wanted to do but kept putting off. You can bask in your moments in the sun, Olga, but your greed will get you nowhere.

Maybe you are a follower of Mr Gillanders, who thinks there are huge hoards of money sitting in safes and safety deposit boxes all around Canada, just sitting there not being spent on anything, and all the government has to do is take a big chunk of that money, and voila, we have increased funding for "everything".

Naive ... silly ... stupid. Mr. Gillanders is definitely NOT a good example of chess teaching critical thinking skills.

Some other contacts of mine in the media are telling me they are ready to work on this story in the new year -- not the chess story, the sports funding story. That will only increase the pressure on people like Doug Ford. In January and February, the hospital situations are really going to get extreme. This story has the potential to really gain support for curtaling sports fundings other than facilities provision and maintenance, and that is long overdue.

Comment

Naive ... silly ... stupid. Mr. Gillanders is definitely NOT a good example of chess teaching critical thinking skills.
                                Touche! I guess that explains why Olga has not asked me to be the poster child for her campaign.

Comment

Working...
                                X