Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Climate Change Poll - not chess related

Originally posted by Carl Bilodeau View Post
    Your are playing with the words..... Being the girl friend of an FQE employee is an important fact when you present yourself in a election while there is concerns in the community about a scandal with this employee.

Your are not with him since you don't live together. But anybody that has been in one of his tournament seing your kisses and your discussions about your everyday meals can make his opinion. This was personal information until your came in the election to become a FQE executive.

By the way, stop campaining against the Montreal championship since it does not help chess and volunteers in anyway.

Carl
    What are you talking about!? witch campain? again false info. And I repeat for the last time, I have no boyfriend and stop talking about private lifes, this is not the place M Bilodeau

Comment

Re: Climate Change Poll - not chess related

Please keep your discussions on-topic and not use this board for talking about your (alleged) private lives.

Thank you.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Climate Change Poll - not chess related

Let's get the facts straight. M.Millette has been employed with the FQE on a part time basis for about 18 months now. One of the reasons he was selected for this job is that he had demonstrated in the past excellent capabilities as a chess organiser (for ex. with the Montreal Chess Club).
        One of the mandates that was given to M. Millette was to organise and revive tournaments that had gone orphaned i.e. that no one wanted to organise anymore probably because they were not profitable anymore.
        The FQE felt, and still feels, that there is value for the members that these tournaments be held and took it upon itself to devote resources to those events so that the members can benefit from having a broader array of tournaments to chose from. It is not the intention of the FQE to continue to organise these tournaments for ever but rather to pass them along to an able organiser if such an organiser presents itself. This worked very well in the case of the Montreal Open when, through M. Millette efforts last year, the tournament was successfully ressurected and passed along to the Club d'Échecs Ahuntsic who brought it to an even higher level this year. This was the deal all along and is still the deal today.
        There is no conflict of interest since from day 1 it was clear that M. Millette could continue to work with the Montreal Chess Club (remember it is a part time job and it is only normal that M. Millette earns a living outside of the FQE as the pay he collects from the FQE is very small).
        It is also normal that the FQE supports those orphaned tournaments as noboby else will. But that support will ulmimately benefit who ever will take them over from the FQE.
        There is no conflict of interest as M. Millette's work benefits the FQE, the members and future organisers
        Last edited by Marc Poulin; Saturday, 24th October, 2009, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Poulin View Post
          One of the mandates that was given to M. Millette was to organise and revive tournaments that had gone orphaned i.e. that no one wanted to organise anymore probably because they were not profitable anymore.
          The FQE felt, and still feels, that there is value for the members that these tournaments be held and took it upon itself to devote resources to those events so that the members can benefit from having a broader array of tournaments to chose from. It is not the intention of the FQE to continue to organise these tournaments for ever but rather to pass them along to an able organiser if such an organiser presents itself.
          Wow, this is simply a fantastic idea and I hope that it continues to prove very successful for the FQE.
          "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
            Please keep your discussions on-topic and not use this board for talking about your (alleged) private lives.

Thank you.
            Don't discourage it. This stuff makes for great reading!!! :)
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Let's get the facts straight. M.Millette has been employed with the FQE on a part time basis for about 18 months now. One of the reasons he was selected for this job is that he had demonstrated in the past excellent capabilities as a chess organiser (for ex. with the Montreal Chess Club).
              The FQE felt, and still feels, that there is value for the members that these tournaments be held and took it upon itself to devote resources to those events so that the members can benefit from having a broader array of tournaments to chose from. It is not the intention of the FQE to continue to organise these tournaments for ever but rather to pass them along to an able organiser if such an organiser presents itself. This worked very well in the case of the Montreal Open when, through M. Millette efforts last year, the tournament was successfully ressurected and passed along to the Club d'Échecs Ahuntsic who brought it to an even higher level this year. This was the deal all along and is still the deal today.
              There is no conflict of interest since from day 1 it was clear that M. Millette could continue to work with the Montreal Chess Club (remember it is a part time job and it is only normal that M. Millette earns a living outside of the FQE as the pay he collects from the FQE is very small).
              It is also normal that the FQE supports those orphaned tournaments as noboby else will. But that support will ulmimately benefit who ever will take them over from the FQE.
              There is no conflict of interest as M. Millette's work benefits the FQE, the members and future organisers
              Mr Poulin,

I am sure that you fully realize that this is not the proper thread nor the proper language to discuss this issue. This is mainly a Quebec and FQE issue. So I suggest that you post your explanations in french on Parlons Echecs if you are really interested in having a proper discussion on this topic, as opposed to simply shutting up Mr Bilodeau's mouth. It is an interesting topic because from the outside and despite explanations that have been given so far, it seems that Mr Millette is doing pretty much what he was doing before being hired by the FQE, that is setting up tournaments along no-risk formulas that needs no support whatsoever to be profitable for the organizer (as long as CMA and the FQE are providing free sites) and certainly not a full or even a part time job at the FQE.

I am looking forward to a healthy discussion on this matter on Parlons Echecs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                Mr Poulin,

I am sure that you fully realize that this is not the proper thread nor the proper language to discuss this issue. This is mainly a Quebec and FQE issue. So I suggest that you post your explanations in french on Parlons Echecs if you are really interested in having a proper discussion on this topic, as opposed to simply shutting up Mr Bilodeau's mouth. It is an interesting topic because from the outside and despite explanations that have been given so far, it seems that Mr Millette is doing pretty much what he was doing before being hired by the FQE, that is setting up tournaments along no-risk formulas that needs no support whatsoever to be profitable for the organizer (as long as CMA and the FQE are providing free sites) and certainly not a full or even a part time job at the FQE.

I am looking forward to a healthy discussion on this matter on Parlons Echecs.
                "Healthy discussion"????

Who the bleep do you think you're kidding? We've all seen your "healthy discussions", and even the healthy get sick from your name-calling, your arrogance, your stupidity.

So you don't want all the dirty laundry from Quebec made public outside Quebec. You'd rather English Canada just see what you want them to see, a mirage of a flourishing chess scene where sponsors are everywhere and wine and beer flow freely at the conclusion of each event to celebrate and make the Hal Bonds of Canada envious.

Sorry, Jean, your puppy dog Bilodeau has broken his leash and run amok. Now even you can't shut his mouth, and he draws everyone in so those outside Quebec can see the reality beyond your mirage.

I knew that what goes around would come around. You can fool some of the people all of the time, and you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool ALL of the people ALL of the time.

Quebec is not a chess oasis in the desert of Canada. It's as much or at least nearly as much a pimple on the face of chess as anywhere else in North America. Thank you, Carl Bilodeau, you were played like a fiddle. Wrap your Ray Kurzweil, science-is-everything mind around that! If there's one thing I do know, it might not be chess... but it just might be human nature. Live and learn, Hebert!
                Only the rushing is heard...
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                  "Healthy discussion"????

Who the bleep do you think you're kidding? We've all seen your "healthy discussions", and even the healthy get sick from your name-calling, your arrogance, your stupidity.

So you don't want all the dirty laundry from Quebec made public outside Quebec. You'd rather English Canada just see what you want them to see, a mirage of a flourishing chess scene where sponsors are everywhere and wine and beer flow freely at the conclusion of each event to celebrate and make the Hal Bonds of Canada envious.

Sorry, Jean, your puppy dog Bilodeau has broken his leash and run amok. Now even you can't shut his mouth, and he draws everyone in so those outside Quebec can see the reality beyond your mirage.

I knew that what goes around would come around. You can fool some of the people all of the time, and you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool ALL of the people ALL of the time.

Quebec is not a chess oasis in the desert of Canada. It's as much or at least nearly as much a pimple on the face of chess as anywhere else in North America. Thank you, Carl Bilodeau, you were played like a fiddle. Wrap your Ray Kurzweil, science-is-everything mind around that! If there's one thing I do know, it might not be chess... but it just might be human nature. Live and learn, Hebert!
                  Paul, Quebec is not a chess oasis at all and everybody knows that. I give Quebec a 3 out of 10. I don't know a lot about the rest of Canada to give it a rating. I give 3 for Quebec chess for the good things that we have and you heard about these good things. But you can be sure that we talk a lot on the 7 out of 10.

In the HPE magazine of Jean Hebert he talks to us about how the Ontario young Elite is stronger as ours in Quebec and he talks about chess tournaments in Canada. This makes us to want even more here in Quebec. If in the Rest of Canada people see good things in ours then this is good for all of us.

If Jean Hebert told Marc Poulin president of FQE to come on Parlons Echecs to talk about this situation it is probably because he knows FQE simply try here to shut my mouth but do not want to give these tournaments to volunteers.

If I want to sell a company or a building I will give the accounting numbers. But FQE doesn't want to give the numbers. We have asked on Parlons Echecs and they simply don't answer. Come on..

In the last months, I came publicly as a businessman to give a Warranty for the Prizes of major tournaments in Quebec to help volunteers to take in charge the FQE tournaments. This should eliminate the stress about the money. I have got a success with Montreal Championship.

Here the president says that their intention is to give the tournaments but he says that nobody wants them.... Well this is not true.... it is the FQE that do not want to give the numbers and this made the previous scandal (about the FQE employee being paid twice to do tournaments he was doing previouly) to be even more credible.

I would believe FQE if they came with something like this on Parlons Echecs:

We are looking for volunteers to take in charge one or many tournaments. FQE will pay the and the .... for the first year and will give you .... and a warranty of .... plus 3 publicity pages... plus a big exposure on the website.... etc. You will make at least 500$ in your pocket....

Tournament 1 - Santa Clauss tournament
                  Date:
                  Number of players
                  Revenus
                  Expanses
                  - Hall
                  - Referee
                  - Publicity
                  - ..... etc.
                  FQE subventions

Tournament 2 -----

Tournament 5 -----

Instead, they put an agressive message this summer on their website saying : "We need volunteers. Those who complains, change your mind, and come on the other side of the barrier to help and to see how bad it is".

Personaly I feel this is not professional at all. And the more I have this FQE Employee's girl friend or ex-girlfriend and her son on my back, the more I feel we won't have more clubs and more tournaments with our taxes money that goes in the FQE.

If the new FQE President is really willing to give the tournaments to volunteers then for sure he has to go on Parlons Echecs in French where all the Quebec Chess players will read him. We will then find volunteers. And I am sure HPE could put a publicity to find volunteers to make money.

Why is it so important? Because if FQE gives the tournaments to volunteers, they (the government employees of FQE) will be able to create more projects (specially for kids) with our taxes money. But is it in their interest to do more when their pay check is coming every week no mather the results? I let you guess the answer.

If the new FQE president go on Parlons Echecs I will make a story for you all here on Chesstalk and translate the comments.

Paul, Quebec chess is in deep trouble, our young kids most of the years don't have long game tournaments and most of them don't have a chess club where to go. You can sleep on your two ears and be happy if this is the kind of thing that makes you happy.

Carl
                  Last edited by Carl Bilodeau; Sunday, 25th October, 2009, 05:38 PM.

Comment

The truth is that we have ask again and again for weeks on Parlons Echecs to get the accounting numbers for these tournaments and there is no answer. It was one of the biggest thread this year. Everybody could conclude that in no way FQE wants to give the tournaments because of the previous scandal of an employee at FQE being paid twice to do those tournaments. I suspect there was a profit unless nobody would be scare to give the numbers.

If this is not the case, please, give the REAL numbers on Parlons Echecs. Personnaly I would make a "proposal", a package deal so that a volunteer will be interested.. If you give the numbers, please don't be political once more, give the real numbers.

If we all have the same objectives.....

Carl
                    Last edited by Carl Bilodeau; Sunday, 25th October, 2009, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                      If there's one thing I do know, it might not be chess...
                      Hopefully, this "deep thinking" did not give you headaches, or did it ? :)

Comment

Has the earth been cooling since 1998?

Rex Murphy based an article in the Globe and Mail on that premise in this link...
                        http://v1.theglobeandmail.com/servle...tory/TPComment

I wrote a letter to the editor of the Globe and Mail a few days later to counter this but did not make it into the paper....

Re: “Be brave: Escape the climate box” by Rex Murphy in Globe and Mail on Saturday Oct. 17, 2009

Rex Murphy’s BBC quote “For the last 11 years we have not observed any increase in global temperatures” is very misleading. What is important is that the last decade has been far warmer than previous decades. Yearly temperature variations within a decade are strongly influenced by El Niño /La Niña effects. In 1998 there was a strong El Niño warming making this the hottest year on record, while 2008 had a strong La Niña cooling. The ten hottest years on record are 1998 , 2005, 2003, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2001, and 1997; most fall in the last decade. This year most of the warming was in ocean waters instead of the atmosphere. In July 2009 the ocean temperatures were the highest on record. In terms of Arctic ice melt; the largest melt year on record was 2007, followed by 2008 and 2009.
                        Atmospheric carbon dioxide levels are still rapidly rising, and have reached 387 parts per million. About half of the emissions are being absorbed by the oceans, making them more acidic; in fact acidity has increased by 26% in the last 30 years.

In summary, the climate is still rapidly changing and the earth is responding.
                        Paul Beckwith

Tonight, there was an article published detailing how the idea that the earth has been cooling over the last decade has no basis in science at all...
                        http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091026/...bal_cooling_11

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
                          Has the earth been cooling since 1998?

Rex Murphy based an article in the Globe and Mail on that premise in this link...
                          http://v1.theglobeandmail.com/servle...tory/TPComment

I wrote a letter to the editor of the Globe and Mail a few days later to counter this but did not make it into the paper....

Re: “Be brave: Escape the climate box” by Rex Murphy in Globe and Mail on Saturday Oct. 17, 2009

Rex Murphy’s BBC quote “For the last 11 years we have not observed any increase in global temperatures” is very misleading. What is important is that the last decade has been far warmer than previous decades. Yearly temperature variations within a decade are strongly influenced by El Niño /La Niña effects. In 1998 there was a strong El Niño warming making this the hottest year on record, while 2008 had a strong La Niña cooling. The ten hottest years on record are 1998 , 2005, 2003, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2001, and 1997; most fall in the last decade. This year most of the warming was in ocean waters instead of the atmosphere. In July 2009 the ocean temperatures were the highest on record. In terms of Arctic ice melt; the largest melt year on record was 2007, followed by 2008 and 2009.
                          Atmospheric carbon dioxide levels are still rapidly rising, and have reached 387 parts per million. About half of the emissions are being absorbed by the oceans, making them more acidic; in fact acidity has increased by 26% in the last 30 years.

In summary, the climate is still rapidly changing and the earth is responding.
                          Paul Beckwith

Tonight, there was an article published detailing how the idea that the earth has been cooling over the last decade has no basis in science at all...
                          http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091026/...bal_cooling_11
                          Paul,

On the second link you give they show a chart from the NCDC archive data.

This NCDC organization takes it data from many sources, many countrys and many algorithms from everywhere in the world and most weather stations are located near the citys!!! This data should not be use to study global warming since the error level is completly unpredictable and unstable. Their data from the past years change from year to year. If the article had presented a chart from the UAH and RSS satellite systems we would have seen different conclusions but eco-extremist won't do that.

See from yourself on the NCDC website from where the data is coming from:
                          http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/about/whatisncdc.html

About the Arctic ice melt, they says 2007 was the worst followed by 2008 then 2009. But see by yourself:

Yes 2007 was a peak low (yellow line) but see how it came back to the 1979 level one year later (orange) in may. The red line is 2009 and we see things are not getting worst but coming back to previous levels.

Carl
                          Last edited by Carl Bilodeau; Monday, 26th October, 2009, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Do you really think that it is reasonable to discount all data given by any given organization. The NCDC (National Climatic Data Center) is a reputable government group that presents data from a variety of sources, as you say. The city heat effect is well known (large cities typically create heat island effects due to sunlight absorption on dark ashphalt roads and buildings resulting in a localized temperature several degrees above the overall background); they make allowances for that when they analyze the data.

Please show me the data sourced from the UAH and RSS satellites that they should present; and please stop calling data that disagrees with your views eco-extremest since it weakens your arguments.

Regarding the ice graph, 1979 is not indicated on the graph so I do not know what you mean. Surely you do not expect the ice extent to change monotonically. Compare this decade to the previous, and also look at the ice thickness graphs over the last 30 years or so.

Comment

Vlad, which category did you vote for?

Comment

OK, Paul, stay on topic, no time-dated reconstructive trolling , here:)
                                I like it when girlfriends are involved, as well.
                                Last edited by David McTavish; Monday, 7th December, 2009, 10:39 PM. Reason: forgot the RC, who shud be thinking in english

Comment

Working...
                                X