Climate Change Poll - not chess related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Climate Change Poll - not chess related

Thank's for the link. I'm having trouble figuring out how to start (or find) the video, however. Am I missing something simple?
    Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

Re : Climate Change Poll - not chess related

Just click on the red button then, when it will turn green, click on it again and the video will start.

Comment

Re: Re : Climate Change Poll - not chess related

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
        http://www.megavideo.com/?v=EMBQTR8O

Here's the results of a study (at 19:45 min.) in the video. Feel free to watch the whole movie if you never watched it, it is very interesting.
        The chart has been proved wrong. The author of the chart (his name is on the chart) when he saw this movie made many official protests since the data used was not real data but a simple creation.

Carl
        Last edited by Carl Bilodeau; Monday, 12th October, 2009, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
          5) Journalists are always trying to get a balanced story with both sides, but for science issues that can distort the scientifically accepted viewpoint. For example, if every story on evolution (for example the recent story of Ardipithecus) had a "balance" and included the viewpoint of a creationist that would mislead the public.
          LOL journalists are the WORST offenders when it comes to activism and slanting a story... remember it is their job to sell papers (or get viewers) and the more extreme and sensationalistic the headline the better they sell...

media slant has been known for a long time
          "I do not chance to know an editor in the country who will deliberately print any thing which he knows will ultimately and permanently reduce the number of his subscribers. They do not believe that it would be expedient. How then can they print the truth?" - Henry David Thoreau

I personally have experience with media outright lying when they quote someone... the last people I would believe is the media.

Comment

I recall being surprised by the results of an interview, with a local newspaper reporter, that I had when I was a junior many years ago.

Btw if Paul is interested he might sometime debate the THEORY of evolution with a fellow at the RA chess club here in Ottawa (with initials A.D., ironically) who has a PhD, but doesn't side with the scientific community.

Science is the modern religion.

Comment

I am a firm believer in climate change... I looked out my kitchen window this morning and saw the first snowfall of the year in my yard... dammit! now I have to rush and get snow tires on... now if the climate would change here so I get less snow I would be much happier. Since I moved to the thriving metropolis of Salmon Arm, it has NEVER snowed until early November... not a good sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
                Btw if Paul is interested he might sometime debate the THEORY of evolution with a fellow at the RA chess club here in Ottawa (with initials A.D., ironically) who has a PhD, but doesn't side with the scientific community.

Science is the modern religion.
                Is the discovery of Lucy and the suggestion Apes are descended from Man part of the argument?
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                  the suggestion Apes are descended from Man part of the argument?
                  reverse evolutionist??? I guess apes could be descended from man... just check out any gym :D

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Lohner View Post
                    reverse evolutionist??? I guess apes could be descended from man... just check out any gym :D
                    It would be an argument for creationism over evolution, like in the bible.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

It would be an argument for creationism over evolution, like in the bible.
                      Not quite true... in Genesis animals were created before man... actually if you read the first chapters of genesis that describe the creation they actually match up the 'eras' in evolutionary time... What I tend to say to people who are adamant '7 literal days' of creation is that God describes himself 'outside' of time when he says 'a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like a day'... so if says that God took one day how can anyone say that it was a literal 24 hours? I have yet to get an intelligent response to this... and thats just scratching the surface... start looking into theoretical physics and you discover that time is not a static constant :) The problem with these so called 'fundamentalists' is that they don't actually read their bible for themselves... they let their leadership interpret the little they do read and blindly follow what some leader feels is good dogma...

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Lohner View Post
                        Not quite true... in Genesis animals were created before man... actually if you read the first chapters of genesis that describe the creation they actually match up the 'eras' in evolutionary time...
                        I simply asked if the discovery was being used as part of the argument for creationism. I didn't give an opinion and suspect further discoveries will be made as the years go by.

The program I watched suggested apes evolved from man.

I know what you mean about checking out a gym. I got a laugh as it reminds me of someone. :)
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I simply asked if the discovery was being used as part of the argument for creationism. I didn't give an opinion and suspect further discoveries will be made as the years go by.

The program I watched suggested apes evolved from man.

I know what you mean about checking out a gym. I got a laugh as it reminds me of someone. :)
                          Thats the problem these days... gullible people watch these 'programs' and automatically take what they say as the truth. Very little that I read/watch do I take at face value... thats one of the reasons why I don't like groups like Greenpeace... they throw around statements but even a remote questioning of these statements is seen as heretical... I tend to listen to those people who not only make statements but can show the data to back up their arguments :) This goes for any topic, be that climate change or religion... In university and at BCIT I was not a 'popular' student with the teachers/profs because I questioned them on the validity of their statements. Socrates would be ashamed at academia today...

Comment

I would love to debate the rock solid theory of evolution. Does anybody want to also debate the idea that smoking causes cancer? How about the theory that atoms are composed of electrons and protons and neutrons?

I think that technology is the modern religion, not science. Don't forget that the Bush administration did not believe in science. People like Carl think that technology can solve every problem...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
                              I would love to debate the rock solid theory of evolution. Does anybody want to also debate the idea that smoking causes cancer? How about the theory that atoms are composed of electrons and protons and neutrons?

I think that technology is the modern religion, not science. Don't forget that the Bush administration did not believe in science. People like Carl think that technology can solve every problem...
                              There are many scientific laws or theories that I myself wouldn't have trouble accepting, at least until I see new conflicting data, speaking purely from a scientific point of view. Science must always be open to changing its conclusions. I would also change my mind about such laws/theories if I'd witnessed one or more personally convincing miracles (actually has occured, although I could not prove it to anyone else, as I have written on chesstalk in the past).

Science is indeed like a religion in that when it comes to the creation of the universe, or the whole notion of a creator, the default position for many scientifically minded people is aetheistic. The correct position for a scientifically minded person, as was pointed out to me in school, actually should be to be agnostic, if only science is to be considered. That is, there is no evidence for miracles or a creator that can be reproduced at will in an experiment, so this falls outside the scope of science.

Alas, 'sciencific aetheism' insists on getting the final say with everything, e.g. trying to prove that near-death experiences can be explained as a physical manifestation of the brain. I do have sympathy for aethists and agnostics, having been each of these myself in the past. However the former is a more of a belief/'faith' system than the latter.

Certainly, as you say, technology can be like a religion to many people as well. It is a product of science, however, so saying science is the modern religion is valid even taking just technology into account.

Comment

Re: P.S.

In my previous post I indicated that, because of personal experience, I am convinced that there is a creator.

I have no trouble theorizing that He may prefer to intervene as little as necessary in the world, so that sound scientific laws normally rule and proceed like clockwork. However, sometimes extraordinary coinincidences are, perhaps, actually a type of miracle that goes unnoticed.

It may surprise you that I am somewhat open minded about evolution. Based on my own experience I have serious doubts that the scriptures have always been translated or compiled accurately (either accidentally, or otherwise). The Dead Sea Scrolls are one example of differing ancient texts. For a practical example of what I mean, I have definite memories of a past life, something that would normally be considered heretical. It is my understanding that to improve themselves, or possibly affect the world for the better, people might live another life again sometimes.

It is written that 'all things are possible', so my story may not be, in the end, completely unacceptable for people who still would take the scriptures as they are at present.

One televangelist I happened to watch one day claimed that he believed the world had existed for billions of years, then was suddenly 'remade', and then Adam and Eve, etc. all began (though he still didn't believe in evolution). So, you see, there is ample room for interpretation, whether correct or not. Jason gave you one other opinion on the matter earlier.

Comment

Working...
                                X