Fifty Years Chess Celebration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fifty Years Chess Celebration

Its been fifty years this month since I played in my first chess tournament (with clocks). So I will be celebrating a life of chess in the Canadian chess community (playing chess, partying chess, coaching, training, organizing, promoting, blindfold chess, love of chess books, chesstalk (all of my chess interests)) I will be trying hard to book a site at Kitchener City Hall in May or June this year.
    So when that time comes I encourage you to drop by and visit and probably play some chess and meet with fellow chess enthusiasts.

The date of the event is Sunday June 11, 2023 from noon to 5pm at Kitchener City Hall
    Last edited by Hans Jung; Wednesday, 8th March, 2023, 12:23 PM.

Congratulations, Hans!!!
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
    "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Never thought about that before, Hans..........the importance of the date one started playing official tournament chess!

I'm going to have to go look at some old binders with early chess games in them. I know I joined Western (Then University of Western Ontario) chess club in Sept., 1964. Before then, I didn't even know anything about official chess, and had played little casual chess (Though likely learning the game from my parish priest on the steps of his rectory when I was about 10 y.o.).

By rights, I should have joined the bridge club.........I had played lots of bridge. Why the chess club??.......never had an answer to that question.

Best move in my life!

So this Sept., I celebrate 59 years of organized chess! WOW! And 2024 will not only be a big USA election year..........It'll be my 60th anniversary of my 1st rated tournament game of chess......seems so many lifetimes ago at 77 y.o. (78 y.o. this summer). I've met so many wonderful chess players over the years.

And as some close friends know, chess, literally, saved my life on one occasion.

What a great hobby we share (And some even can make it a financial career)!

Bob A
      Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 1st February, 2023, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
        Its been fifty years this month since I played in my first chess tournament (with clocks). So I will be celebrating a life of chess in the Canadian chess community (playing chess, partying chess, coaching, training, organizing, promoting, blindfold chess, love of chess books, chesstalk (all of my chess interests)) I will be trying hard to book a site at Kitchener City Hall in May or June this year.
        So when that time comes I encourage you to drop by and visit and probably play some chess and meet with fellow chess enthusiasts.
        Wonderful! Keep it up, Hans!!

Comment

my first Clock Game was probably at New College in the 70's but my First CFC rated games against real Tournament players was Varsity Arena Labour Day 1973. I picked up a CFC (Chess Canada )Magazine at Coles Book store with a Peter Nurmi Picture on it. So My friend Edward King who has long passed and I decided to play. I played a man named Edward Alllenby who has become a long time friend ever since.. So i guess I'm in the 50 year range year as well Hans. I will try to make your celebration once it is finalized..
          Last edited by John Brown; Tuesday, 31st January, 2023, 05:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Fantastic!!

Comment

Thanks Peter, Dilip, Brad, Bob and John

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
                my first Clock Game was probably at New College in the 70's but my First CFC rated games against real Tournament players was Varsity Arena Labour Day 1973. I picked up a CFC (Chess Canada )Magazine at Coles Book store with a Peter Nurmi Picture on it. So My friend Edward King who has long passed and I decided to play. I played a man named Edward Alllenby who has become a long time friend ever since.. So i guess I'm in the 50 year range year as well Hans. I will try to make your celebration once it is finalized..
                maybe you should do a celebration John, youve got a lot to celebrate. - and I'll be happy to see you there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                  Never thought about that before, Hans..........the importance of the date one started playing official tournament chess!

I'm going to have to go look at some old binders with early chess games in them. I know I joined Western (Then University of Western Ontario) chess club in Sept., 1964. Before then, I didn't even know anything about official chess, and had played little casual chess (Though likely learning the game from my parish priest on the steps of his rectory when I was about 10 y.o.).

By rights, I should have joined the bridge club.........I had played lots of bridge. Why the chess club??.......never had an answer to that question.

Best move in my life!

So this Sept., I celebrate 59 years of organized chess! WOW! And 2024 will not only be a big USA election year..........It'll be my 60th anniversary of my 1st rated tournament game of chess......seems so many lifetimes ago at 77 y.o. (78 y.o. this summer). I've met so many wonderful chess players over the years.

And as some close friends know, chess, literally, saved my life on one occasion.

What a great hobby we share (And some even can make it a financial career)!

Bob A
                  maybe you should have a celebration Bob - its the best excuse for a get together. You could ask the local club to host and if it costs a little its still definitely worth it!

Comment

Sunday June 11, 2023 from noon to 5pm at Kitchener City Hall. Thats the date folks. Its happening!

Comment

My first major event was the Carnaval Open, Quebec City, February 1973, Novice Section . It was very notable, for the Open Section being captured by future Canadian champion Jean Hebert, then rated in the 1800s, ahead of strong players such as IM Day, IM Piasetski, and others. It would be most interesting to see a crosstable of that event!!

tI had played with clocks as far back as November 1969, the David Keys Middle School Championship, which I directed, as well as winning it.

Congratulations, Hans!!

Comment

Thanks Frank. I hope its not my last celebration but it should be a good one.

Comment

My first major out-of-town tournament was the Canadian Open at Hart House in 1968. I took the train from Montreal with Howard Streit - staying at his aunt's place on Hammersmith in the Beaches. Subway rides to and from the event daily. Meanwhile - Jules Therien had a carload of players - planning to set up a tent on the U of T campus. Of course - security had things to say, and they had to make other arrangements.

Among my games - I had a two-adjournment loss to Milan Zagar (but I got my revenge a few times in later years). Nothing impressive about my 3.5/11 score. (Bob Armstrong also played).

CBC came in during the blitz tournament, and filmed my entire game (loss) against Bruce Amos. The show (about the entire Open) appeared on TV a few months later - with my complete game. However - it looks like the tape was destroyed or overwritten - there seem to be no copies anywhere.

Frank Dixon - no sign of a crosstable anywhere. The report from "Le Soleil" says about 300 players entered; 180 in section B, with 5 finishing tied for first. (I finished with 4/5 - probably in the "B" section).

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	225252 So I composed a chess problem for the event. Bear in mind that its a puzzle for the general public. Checkmate in one. A big five appears in the top left quadrant of the board. The zero is a black king encircled by four rooks. In the bottom half of the board appear many pieces in the form of the letters Y R S ( I didnt have enough room on the board to do the complete word - years) So the message is 50 years. The challenge for solvers at the event is the question: How many checkmates in one are there to the black king?

Comment

Save the date! My wife, Anne, and I invite you to our Chess Celebration Click image for larger version

Name:	chess celebration.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	225304

Comment

Working...
                              X