2023 Canadian Transnational Championship (CTN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    thanks Hugh, eyes didnt want to work for me that day!

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
      This incredible event provides opportunity for more players to get a GM norm then a 10-player round-robin. Over the years several top Canadian players have obtained IM norms in Canadian events: Plotkin, Ivanov, Chiku-Ratte, Cheng, Gardiner, Pechenkin, Haessel, Hamilton, Hansen, Thavandiran, Panjwani, Kovalyov, Noritsyn, Linskiy, Pushkedra, Taylor. Only a couple have obtained a GM norm in Canada like Roussel-Roozmon, Noritsyn, and Zugic.

The top section will have 18 GMs - is this a record for an event in Canada? The 2011 Canadian Open had 13 GMs. Maybe Quebec Opens have had more?

Has anyone done a study of how often these large swisses result in norms? What is the ideal number of players? With 18 GMs and a total of 48 players in 9 rounds, the average player will play 3 GMs? So those playing with a even or plus score will likely be paired up to more than 3 GMs. Playing 3 GMs is a requirement to get a norm, along with a maximum of playing 5 Canadians, and scoring points for a performance rating of 2600. If one's average opponents rating is around 2400, one would need to score 7-2 for a GM norm, 2450 score 6.5, 2500 score 6, 2530 score 5.5, or 2570 score 5. Players need to get 3 norms to get a title. FIDE requires 20 non-Canadians and new rules requires obtaining one norm from a Swiss of over 40 players. Should 10 more USCF IMs be brought in to increase the number of non-Canadian opponents?

There are only a few FMs in the event and they will certainly play 3 GM/IMs to try for an IM norm, a performance rating of 2450. If one's average opponents rating is 2300, one would need to score 6.5-2.5 for a IM norm, 2350 score 6, 2380 score 5.5, 2420 score 5, or 2460 score 4.5, 50%. Some players like FM Mike Ivanov have the norms, but needs to get his rating up to 2450. Should a couple of non-FM rising juniors be let in to the top section, lowering players average opponents rating which could affect norms?
      Thanks a lot Erik. I think one event in Quebec in the early 2000s had more GMs, like 30 or 32. I will ask FQE, they probably keep track of their past events.

I fully agree, it would be great to have an empirical study on the large Swiss events. Ideally a table with average rating, ratio of GMs/non GMs, and number of players would help organizers with their mix. Mathematically it is hard to model what an ideal target performance should look like because we have no guarantees on how the GMs will perform. But if an IM performs well, it is extremely likely that they will be paired against 3 or more GMs.

- For a 2600 performance, i.e. a GM norm, the exact opponent average ratings are: 2380 score 7, 2434 score 6.5, 2475 score 6, 2520 score 5.5, 2557 score 5. With about half the field above 2434 including a quarter above 2500, we expect GM norms at this CTN to be achievable with 6 or 6.5 points.

- For a 2450 performance, i.e. an IM norm, the exact opponent average ratings are: 2230 score 7, 2284 score 6.5, 2325 score 6, 2370 score 5.5, 2407 score 5, 2450 score 4.5, 2493 score 4, 2530 score 3.5. We expect IM norms at this CTN with 4.5 or 5 points.

- For a 2400 performance, i.e. a WGM norm, the exact opponent average ratings are: 2234 score 6.5, 2275 score 6, 2320 score 5.5, 2357 score 5, 2400 score 4.5, 2443 score 4, 2480 score 3.5. We expect WGM norms at this CTN with 4 or 4.5 points.

Allowing promising players under 2200 FIDE is tricky as it could affect norms, but this type of events is rare in Canada and it's a unique opportunity for some of our younger talents. There will be a couple of exceptions, plus players who registered at a time when they were above the threshold but dropped under before the event begins. Also, for a GM norm, FIDE allows one opponent out of 9 to be under 2200. Their rating is then set artificially at 2200 for the final performance calculation.

Comment

For Swiss tournaments, no Quebec or Canadian event has come close. The 1997 Canadian Open in Winnipeg had 10 or 11 GMs about 25 years ago. (the days when GM titles were a lot harder to get). Here is the crosstable: CFC - Tournament (chess.ca)
        Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Wednesday, 1st March, 2023, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Nice score Hugh, 6.5 in a Canadian Open with 10 or 11 GMs! Pretty cool performance.

Regarding the CTN, if everyone confirms it looks like about 2/3rd of the 60 players in the Crown will come from foreign federations (more than 10 USCF). A local player will have to be extremely unlucky to face more than 5 opponents registered with CFC.

Comment

This is jaw - dropping! Brilliant organizing!

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
              For Swiss tournaments, no Quebec or Canadian event has come close. The 1997 Canadian Open in Winnipeg had 10 or 11 GMs about 25 years ago. (the days when GM titles were a lot harder to get). Here is the crosstable: CFC - Tournament (chess.ca)
              Canadian Open 2007 in Ottawa had 22 GMs:
              https://en.chessbase.com/post/a-shor...dian-open-2007

Comment

How soon we forget. Thanks for the Canadian Open 2007 link. The Mikhaelevsky game is worth playing over again.

Comment

When I look at the crosstable of the Canadian Open 1997, I can easily pick out the names of all the GMs that played. Ottawa 2007 I could recognize about 10. For Montreal 2023, if the titles weren't placed in front of the players' names, I would recognize 5 or 6.

It's becoming too easy to get a title today. There should be a new title given to the top 100 or so rated in the world. If you drop out of that group, you lose the title until you perform better. Think of this as being similar to "relegation" in UK soccer (bring that to the NHL - at the end of each season, the 2 poorest performing teams are dropped to the AHL, and the 2 top AHL teams are brought up - today that would be the Toronto Marlies and the Calgary Wranglers :-) )

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                    This incredible event provides opportunity for more players to get a GM norm then a 10-player round-robin. Over the years several top Canadian players have obtained IM norms in Canadian events: Plotkin, Ivanov, Chiku-Ratte, Cheng, Gardiner, Pechenkin, Haessel, Hamilton, Hansen, Thavandiran, Panjwani, Kovalyov, Noritsyn, Linskiy, Pushkedra, Taylor. Only a couple have obtained a GM norm in Canada like Roussel-Roozmon, Noritsyn, and Zugic.

The top section will have 18 GMs - is this a record for an event in Canada? The 2011 Canadian Open had 13 GMs. Maybe Quebec Opens have had more?

Re number of GMs, I believe the 2007 Canadian Open had about two dozen:
                    https://ratings.fide.com/report.phtml?event=9311
                    [EDIT: doh, Emil already provided that info, thanks!]
                    If I recall correctly, Peter Hum was INCREDIBLE in getting GMs to that event.
                    Last edited by Aris Marghetis; Sunday, 5th March, 2023, 09:11 PM.

Comment

FYI the registration link has been moved to our new website: Annex Chess Club - E2-4: Canadian Transnational

Below is an updated list of confirmed FIDE tilted players who will play in some or all the events of the CTN:

GM Awonder Liang (USA), 2651
                      GM Evgeny Bareev (CAN), 2631
                      GM Arturs Neiksans (LAT), 2615
                      GM Lazaro Bruzon (USA), 2611
                      GM Mateusz Bartel (POL), 2605
                      GM Nikita Meshkovs (LAT), 2585
                      GM Emilio Cordoba (PER), 2539
                      GM Viktor Matviishen (UKR), 2538
                      GM Marin Bosiocic (CRO), 2537
                      GM Omar Almeida (CUB), 2526
                      GM Cristhian Cruz (PER), 2522
                      GM Elshan Moradiabadi (USA), 2521
                      GM Isan Ortiz (CUB), 2512
                      GM Gergely Szabo (ROM), 2504
                      GM Toms Kantans (LAT), 2480
                      GM Thomas Roussel-Roozmon (CAN), 2461
                      GM Bator Sambuev (CAN), 2433
                      IM Jason Liang (USA),2530
                      IM Joshua Posthuma (USA), 2457
                      IM Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux (CAN), 2451
                      IM Nikolay Noritsyn (CAN), 2444
                      IM Andy Woodward (USA), 2436
                      IM Vyom Vidyarthi (USA), 2432
                      IM Artiom Samsonkin (CAN), 2420
                      IM Peter Vavrak (SLO), 2414
                      IM Edward Song (USA), 2389
                      IM Sai Krishna (IND), 2385
                      IM Tianqi Wang (USA), 2359
                      IM Rohan Talukdar (CAN), 2359
                      IM Mark Plotkin (CAN), 2341
                      IM Olivier-Kenta Chiku-Ratte (CAN), 2311
                      IM Eric Lawson (CAN), 2274
                      IM Nicholas Vettese (CAN), 2283
                      IM Alex Reprintsev (UKR), 2254
                      IM Michael Barron (CAN), 2152
                      FM Mark Heimann (USA), 2426
                      FM Anthony Atanasov (CAN), 2368
                      FM Varun Krishnan (USA), 2341
                      FM Mike Ivanov (CAN), 2288
                      FM Eugene Hua (CAN), 2276
                      FM Vinny Puri (CAN), 2214
                      FM Jonathan Han (CAN), 2184
                      FM Zachary Dukic (CAN), 2179
                      FM Victor Plotkin (CAN), 2172
                      FM Donald Johnson (USA), 2160
                      FM Michael Humphreys (CAN), 2153
                      FM James Canty III (USA), 2145
                      WGM Thalia Cervantes Landero (USA), 2271
                      WGM Maili-Jade Ouellet (CAN), 2246
                      WGM Anna Burtasova (CAN), 2241
                      WGM Yulesi Hernandez Moya (CUB), 2215
                      WIM Anna Kentane (LAT), 2252
                      WIM Svitlana Demchenko (CAN), 2183
                      CM Koosha Jaferian (IRA), 2233
                      CM Daniel Xu (CAN), 2228
                      NM Andersen Gunnar (USA), 2283

More titled players are yet to confirm their seat, including 2 GMs and several IMs.

Comment

This is amazing work Salim, especially all the strong foreign players!!

Comment

Hi Salim,

Could you please provide the list of players for blitz/rapid for General sections? The list on the website is not very helpful compared what you post for Crown here.
                          To know the prize distribution for these sections would be great as well.

Comment

Hi Salim:

For the General Classic Section - we discussed that generally "paying to play up" is not that common in Quebec, from my prior playing there over the years before the pandemic. Quebec players can correct me if I've got this wrong.

You advised that the organizers are considering imposing a "playing up fee" for this Quebec tournament, but it is not yet decided.

Can you give us a status report on this yet-undecided issue?

As I advised, if I am in the 1500's by the start of the transnational, I expect to pay to play up into the U 1900 Section (Floor of 1600). I paid, on anticipation of this, $ 20 on top of the ACC discount registration fee of $ 80.

Thanks.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                              Hi Salim,

Could you please provide the list of players for blitz/rapid for General sections? The list on the website is not very helpful compared what you post for Crown here.
                              To know the prize distribution for these sections would be great as well.
                              Hi Egidijus, I will ask the team and post it in the coming days.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                                Hi Salim:

You advised that the organizers are considering imposing a "playing up fee" for this Quebec tournament, but it is not yet decided.

Can you give us a status report on this yet-undecided issue?

Bob
                                Hi Bob, we are actually in favor of enabling the play-up option in the General sections, as long as the rating of the player is within 100 rating points.
                                The add-on will be open one or two weeks before the event as ratings could change significantly for active players in the coming 2 months.

Comment

Working...
                                X