2023 Toronto Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 Toronto Open

ACC is honored to organize the Toronto Open Championship in September during the Labor Day weekend.

WHEN: September 2 to 4

WHERE: St. Casimir's Parish Hall, 156 Roncesvalles Avenue, Toronto, M6R 2L4

FORMAT: 6 Rounds, 90 minutes and 30 second increment. Multiple sections. Morning round 10am, Afternoon round 4pm

RATING: CFC for all, and FIDE rated for the Open section, U2200 and U1900. Current CFC membership required

ENTRY FEES: early birds $90 (adults) before August 14. $10 discount for Juniors, Seniors and Women. $20 discount for ACC members. Free entry for GMs, WGMs, IMs and WIMs

REGISTRATION: ACC website. Please register on the following link: https://annexchessclub.com/event-5327277
    Last edited by Salim Belcadi; Wednesday, 2nd August, 2023, 04:38 PM.

Sections: Open, U2200, U1900, U1600, U1300 (You may play up if you're within 100 points of a higher section. A $20 fee applies.)

I'll be passing because of this rule. For whatever that is worth. I'd only pay extra if it was to the top section. It's not about the money, $20 is small potatos. it's the principle. I'd pay more than $20 extra to play in an over 2000 or over 2100 top section, if that is required to balance the sections for a six round swiss.

I have not played for the cfc for well over a decade.
    Last edited by Fred Henderson; Thursday, 10th August, 2023, 12:23 AM.

Comment

or an additional fee to play up two sections. forget about within 100 points. That is splitting hairs

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post
        Sections: Open, U2200, U1900, U1600, U1300 (You may play up if you're within 100 points of a higher section. A $20 fee applies.)

I'll be passing because of this rule. For whatever that is worth. I'd only pay extra if it was to the top section. It's not about the money, $20 is small potatos. it's the principle. I'd pay more than $20 extra to play in an over 2000 or over 2100 top section, if that is required to balance the sections for a six round swiss.

I have not played for the cfc for well over a decade.
        Hi Fred,

This has actually been fairly standard across Toronto tournaments and beyond, over the past few years.
        The top players don't want to lose points to juniors who are stronger than their rating, or play against players who are delusional about their strength.
        And the juniors and delusional players all want to play up. For most of these, money (as you said, $20 is small potatoes) is not an obstacle. Therefore, to prevent first-round trouncing pairings, organizers split the sections and "nearly-force" people to play in their respective section. This "100 point margin" where players are permitted to play up, is not sufficiently significant to jeopardize the integrity of the section as a whole.

Additionally, note that in the format propose above, sections are divided in 300-point groups. Now the CFC rating system accounts for 400 point differentials when calculating ratings, and probability of results. Meaning, players within 400 points of each other, are expected to compete and provide a challenge to the opponent. A player rated 375 points lower than his opponent is EXPECTED to score 1/16. Where the differential between two players is above 400 points, mathematically the higher rated opponent is expected to win every game. Even in practice that doesn't always happen.

In summary, in a proposed format with sections split in 300-points-groups, where there's wiggle room within 100 points for people to "play up", in practice each section may actually range the entire 400 point range, but not more than that. This keeps the delusional people and underrated juniors out, forcing them to climb up the ladder in their own section (or within 100 points of, which still leaves the section at the 400-points threshold) before being allowed to be playing completely out of their league.

Chess has changed over the past two decades. It was common 20 years ago for anyone to be able to play in the "Open Section" back then. Organizers have since relabelled the top section and restricted the participation of people who, quite frankly don't belong in the top section. As a whole, this should be viewed as an improvement to the competition as a higher percentage of games will be more evenly matched.

Alex Ferreira

Comment

Hi Alex:

Thanks for the excellent explanation of the TO use of sections & the "Playing Up" option.

Bob A (Only slightly delusional re my playing strength ; as Alex knows, I always play up when I can - keeps me in the poorhouse though. I kept a record for a year - on average, when I was in the bottom third of my section [Sometimes playing up], I averaged the win of 20 pts per tournament!??)

Comment

Is it possible to start the last game earlier? Or 9:00 am for the fifth game and 2:00pm for the last game?

Comment

Last week for registration, and few seats left (already 170 registrations):

https://annexchessclub.com/event-5327277

GM Bator Sambuev & GM Razvan Preotu will be participating among other titled players. The players list is available on ACC's website and we plan on releasing it on chess-results as soon as possible.

Chris Wang , I think a large majority of players prefer to start later unfortunately. We always get a lot of pushback for earlier games.

Comment

I received an email from Annex Chess Club this morning stating that "any player may opt to play in the open section at no charge". When I registered for the tournament I was under the impression that the top section would be meant for players rated 2200+ CFC, with the option for players within 100 points of the section floor to pay an extra $20 to play up.

How does it make sense to charge a 1200-rated player an extra $20 to play in the u1600 while they can play in the top section free of charge? This makes no sense to me. The whole appeal of the tournament was to get six competitive games of chess, but now the top section will inevitably become diluted with beginners looking to avoid the play-up fee as well as many others with ultra-low FIDE ratings.

In the past editions of this event, as well as the Hart House tournaments, the top section was named the "Crown section", to avoid any confusion with regards to eligibility. Would anybody else be able to weigh in here?

Zach

Comment

Hi Zach, the play-up option is for players within 100 rating points of a given section.
                  There must be a mistake in the email. It is auto-generated and I guess we have not checked it this time around. Thanks for letting us know.

S.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture d’écran, le 2023-08-28 à 14.08.30.png
Views:	149
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	228819
                    Hi Salim,

Thank you for your reply, but as for the email being auto-generated, I think Keith Denning might have something to say about that! ;) Glad to hear it's a misunderstanding.

Zach

Comment

The list of registrations is not very useful in this format https://annexchessclub.com/event-5327277/Attendees

Caoud it be made alphabetical, or by rating, or something>

Comment

Hi John, indeed the format is not ideal and we are improving the platform. Meanwhile the list will be on Chess-Results soon.

@Zach, I will clarify with Keith, but the Crown section is 2200+ CFC plus players within 100 elo who play up. I think the Open section Keith refers to is the lowest section where any player, even unrated, can play.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim Belcadi View Post
                          Meanwhile the list will be on Chess-Results soon.
                          Seems it has started to fill up at C-R https://chess-results.com/tnr812397.aspx?lan=1
                          49 out of 170

Comment

Yes, out of 185 now. Let's give them some time to fill up chess-results. The final list includes GMs and IMs and many more.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim Belcadi View Post
                              Yes, out of 185 now. Let's give them some time to fill up chess-results. The final list includes GMs and IMs and many more.
                              I suggest to learn how to import the file to Swiss-Manager; or start SM as soon as entries come.

Comment

Working...
                              X