2023 Toronto Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rd 5 Two other hard fighting tussles which ended in draws were Kang - Yang and Singh - Chiku Ratte

Comment

Which means going into the last round Bator Sambuev has already won the tournament and deservedly so! Playing power chess Bator swept 5 rounds with a perfect score!

Comment

I have barely sat down for round 6 and I'm greeted by the debacle Calugar - Barron. On the plus side Calugar finishes at least second and gains about 30 Fide points,

Comment

Other highlights of Rd 6 - Ian Findlay has played a Dragon and IM Chiku Ratte has found a tricky tactic against GM Sambuev.

Comment

Rd 6 Quite the debate of strategy between Aaron Mendes and Zach Dukic.

Comment

IM Chiku Ratte beats GM Sambuev to spoil his perfect score.

Comment

Aaron Mendes beats Zach Dukic.

Comment

Thanks to the organisers. I really enjoyed the games.

Comment

Yes, a great tournament, with a great new location in the St. Casimir church. I have never played in such a strong Toronto Open before! Very well organized and directed. Things have changed quite a bit since I left Toronto eight years ago.

Comment

Congrats to Alex Ferreira who had a great tournament, winning his last 3 and having the highest performance rating, 2056, in his section.

https://chess-results.com/tnr814439....flag=30&snr=19

Comment

Yes congratulations to Alex, always a tough competitor, finally rewarded.

Comment

Thanks, Erik & Hans!

I find it odd that I'd have the highest performance and 2056 seems low. It must be FIDE performance. That's great, but surely a reflection of the particular string of opponents I had. I actually made the observation that I only played against one junior (out of 6 games), which is unusual these days. And probably a luck-factor when it comes to FIDE ratings!
                          Sad to say my performance doesn't reflect my play :) I definitely deserved to lose the game I lost against Khelaia, I was worse against Southam but he was in time pressure, and in my last round game against Maulucci I was lost out of the opening and swindled him.

Definitely a lot more fun to play than to organize.
                          Echoing Ian's comments, the tournament seemed to run fairly smoothly. St Casimir's is a neat venue and I think the participation total was well over 200 players.

Alex F.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Ferreira View Post
                            Thanks, Erik & Hans!

I find it odd that I'd have the highest performance and 2056 seems low. It must be FIDE performance. That's great, but surely a reflection of the particular string of opponents I had. I actually made the observation that I only played against one junior (out of 6 games), which is unusual these days. And probably a luck-factor when it comes to FIDE ratings!
                            Sad to say my performance doesn't reflect my play :) I definitely deserved to lose the game I lost against Khelaia, I was worse against Southam but he was in time pressure, and in my last round game against Maulucci I was lost out of the opening and swindled him.

Definitely a lot more fun to play than to organize.
                            Echoing Ian's comments, the tournament seemed to run fairly smoothly. St Casimir's is a neat venue and I think the participation total was well over 200 players.

Alex F.
                            Well said Alex! It was fun to play, and to catch up with people! Congrats on your fine tournament!

Special thanks to Salim for helping me make it! (and yes Erik, he beat me handily in the fifth round!)

Comment

Working...
                            X