A new strategic plan for the Chess Federation of Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J. Crowhurst View Post
    Even "achievement" instead of "ego" might have been an improvement.
    imho, when I read first time your introduction of "ego", it seemed to me that you were talking about different kind of tournaments where some players might win a wonderful trophy. (even that might have been not a case with your line of thoughts :)

Thus, with that: the CFC could put in its 10-year plan to organize the (inter)-provincial team championship. Even if the first future one will be "online" and rapid.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Henderson View Post

hmmm, so much emphasis on money tournaments. Fueled by demands for prize money, mostly from those who have a good chance to make it back. Which is fine. People can play or not.

Let me ask you. Technically, the CFC only concerns itself with a rating fee, which is between the promoter and the CFC. Also there is membership fees, either a tournament fee or a yearly membership. Technically, neither the CFC, nor the GTCL, since we are talking about Toronto, concerns itself with prize money. That is between the promoter/organizer and the players. Correect on both points?

Based on your reply, I have some ideas that I might put to the test. I know a lot of good players who don't care about playing for money, just the love of the game, and continual improvement. being the best you can be is also big. They may be amenable to some kind of relatively inexpensive way of getting themselves onto the FIDE rating list. To be perfectly honest, the CFC rating doesn't mean much to the players I hang with, both at the tables and on the net. I also I have some hooks into some good spaces for small and large tournaments.

Awaiting your reply...
      For flagship events, like the Canadian Open or Canadian Closed, the prize fund is a consideration.

Playing in a CFC event which is FIDE rated will get you on the FIDE rating list if you win or draw some games. You will need a CFC membership or at least a tournament membership.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

imho, when I read first time your introduction of "ego", it seemed to me that you were talking about different kind of tournaments where some players might win a wonderful trophy. (even that might have been not a case with your line of thoughts :)

Thus, with that: the CFC could put in its 10-year plan to organize the (inter)-provincial team championship. Even if the first future one will be "online" and rapid.
        I think back to the old En Passant magazine the we used to get in the 80's and 90's, and their list of the Top 200 players in Canada. They weren't publishing that because of the demand by everyone to see who was at #85 or #167. They published it because getting one's name on that list was one of the goals that kept players motivated and engaged with the game.

There are players who play out of a love for the game, the endless possibilities, and the pure beauty that one occasionally sees on the chess board. The CFC doesn't need to spend a dime on retaining them. They're staying.

I'll leave it at that.

Comment

Working...
        X