Jonathon Berry mentioned in Moron's blog...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Stop mentioning his name please

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    Are Anthony Cheron and Tony Boron one and the same?
    No, they're as different as Toronto and Winnipeg. Moreso.

Comment

• Re: Jonathon Berry mentioned in Moron's blog...

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
      I've had some complaints about this thread. My apologies for being such a tardy moderator. Any quick suggestions? I don't want to have to read the whole thing, sorry, ....
      I have personally asked the admin to close the entire thread.
      What is more, there have been in excess of 75 personal attacks on Canada's living legend of chess, Kevin Spraggett. Those that defend the virtues of chess are also coming under attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Cheron View Post
        I have personally asked the admin to close the entire thread.
        What is more, there have been in excess of 75 personal attacks on Canada's living legend of chess, Kevin Spraggett. Those that defend the virtues of chess are also coming under attack.
        As I told you in PM, I will not be closing the thread. Kevin is welcome to come and defend himself here if and when he is "attacked" - which is more than you can say for those HE attacks on his blog.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I see no reason to close this thread - it should only be on the rare occasion that censorship is used.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
            I've had some complaints about this thread. My apologies for being such a tardy moderator. Any quick suggestions? I don't want to have to read the whole thing, sorry, ....
            Just for the record I have not made any complaints to the moderator about this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
              As I told you in PM, I will not be closing the thread. Kevin is welcome to come and defend himself here if and when he is "attacked" - which is more than you can say for those HE attacks on his blog.
              Bravo! Although I wouldn't much care if the thread was closed (after all, that just means no additional posts), I agree. I would not recommend waiting for K.S. to bother showing up. I am sure one of his fan boys will be along shortly...
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Closing a thread isn't censorship. That would be deleting a thread.
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                  Originally posted by Anthony Cheron View Post
                  I have personally asked the admin to close the entire thread. What is more, there have been in excess of 75 personal attacks on Canada's living legend of chess, Kevin Spraggett. Those that defend the virtues of chess are also coming under attack.
                  That's rich. For what it's worth, as the only person who has been defamed in this thread (see first post), I today asked the moderator for action, by entering a complaint about the initial post. Sure, we misspelled my name over a hundred times, but everybody knows who I am.

I think it is questionable for ChessTalk to allow defamatory attacks to be duplicated, even when they are attached to denials. When you quote the spraggett blog, even though you criticize the quote, you are republishing that quote. I have been rather understanding to tolerate that.

The questionable policy is compounded by allowing the thread to go all over the place. Most of the 100+ posts on this thread are off-topic (OT). I did post a denial of the defamation, but who's going to go to the trouble of finding it? Last I looked, nobody had commented on my denial. Nobody even commented on the pre-edit version which was up for half a day; that was a bit of a blockbuster. The denial has become a dead-end subthread.

So it seems to me that chesstalk needs to separate out the OT posts. If it puts them in another thread or threads, OK. If it erases them, well that's OK by me too. Maybe we'll learn not to go OT on sensitive threads.

Another important factor is that threads are archived. A month or a year or a decade from now, I don't want anybody to see defamatory statements about me or anybody else. But at that time, chesstalk might be the only source of said defamation.

So my suggestion is to delete the on-topic portions of this thread, replacing the subject of the thread with "Deleted thread #7" or whatever, and the actual thread with a simple statement such as "This thread contained defamatory statements extracted from a blog." And to repeat that action for older threads which also have defamatory content, which happen to include those quoting outrageous statements by you-know-who.

It's rubbish to talk about "free speech" after the initial post of this thread. Defamation is not free speech.

I admit that my suggested course of action could be a lot of work, but that's what can happen when you let things go.

Comment

I suspect the reason no one has commented on your denial is that for most, at least, the truth is self evident: a denial is a superfluous piece, gilding the lily.

As far as I can tell, of all the readers of chesstalk, there are perhaps 1-2 people who take the libel of yourself and others seriously and of any truth and those are people with whom logical discourse is not to be thought of. Of course there is one more who can not contain his officious wish to spread the salicious gossip but not much is to be done about that.

As to the spelling of your name, I confess, it gives me difficulty. Unless I look it up, I get it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                      ...deleted some good points

So my suggestion is to delete the on-topic portions of this thread, replacing the subject of the thread with "Deleted thread #7" or whatever, and the actual thread with a simple statement such as "This thread contained defamatory statements extracted from a blog." And to repeat that action for older threads which also have defamatory content, which happen to include those quoting outrageous statements by you-know-who.

It's rubbish to talk about "free speech" after the initial post of this thread. Defamation is not free speech.

I admit that my suggested course of action could be a lot of work, but that's what can happen when you let things go.
                      Jonathan, I agree with your points and for what it is worth I apologize to you for directly quoting the rubbish that started this thread. Almost every thread on forums like this ends up going OT (some more quickly than others).

I once considered this forum to be a place where information could be shared, but unfortunately, it is possible to share disinformation (and, as you pointed out -correctly- that sort of trash may be archived and Google indexed etc).

au revoir...
                      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                        Jonathan, I agree with your points and for what it is worth I apologize to you for directly quoting the rubbish that started this thread. Almost every thread on forums like this ends up going OT (some more quickly than others).

Kerry, would you mind editing out most of the content of your post which starts this thread? It's past the point of funny.

Then there won't be a quote to apologize for posting.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Chris:

Splitting hairs to me - if I'm not allowed to talk about an issue any more, its " muzzling ".

Bob

Comment

Censorship - and muzzling - implies an effort to prevent something from becoming public, or to prevent certain knowledge from spreading farther than it already has.

Closing a thread in which people were speculating on which of various mental illnesses a certain person might have (which is COMPLETELY not appropriate) is not EITHER of those.

Furthermore, you do not have any right to free speech on a private forum whatsoever. Larry is pretty laid-back about what he allows on here, so you can have these somewhat off-topic discussions. If he said everything had to be strictly about chess, then the moderators would delete anything that didn't fall under that concept. It STILL wouldn't be censoring or muzzling, it would be maintaining the level of decorum and topics that the OWNER of this PRIVATELY OWNED BOARD wishes to have.
                            Christopher Mallon
                            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Hi Chris:

Point noted about " private board ", privately funded.

Larry's tolerance is admirable, and allows a quite free exchange of ideas generally. I agree that libel ought not to be tolerated; but wrong ideas/ policies have to be critiqued.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                                As to the spelling of your name, I confess, it gives me difficulty. Unless I look it up, I get it wrong.
                                If it helps to remember, it is (something) + Nathan (as in Nathan Divinsky or as in the baseball pitcher Joe (sic) Nathan). It is the majority spelling. The only variant spelling I encountered in real life was Jonathon Porritt, who was then leader of the British Green Party. That's how his parents spelt it. My guess is that about 90% spell it the same way as mine.

Not that spelling is important.

Comment

Working...
                                X