The Cost of Rental Facilities for Chess Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cost of Rental Facilities for Chess Tournaments

Here in BC we are facing monumental escalations in facility rentals. I recently got a quote for holding one of our regular tournaments in our regular hotel and was quoted a 100% increase in rent since last year. A different tournament in a community center that is coming up in January has been quoted a 50% increase. I am curious to know if this is prevalent across the country and what impact it is having on entry fees and prizes.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Hi Paul,

We paid a 50% increase last year. For our 1-day Quebec chess challenge in April 2024 we will be paying $12,000 plus tax. At least we are in downtown.

In Toronto we have not been able to afford a downtown location for many years. Last year was an exception. Thanks to Francis, we did hold the Ontario Chess Challenge at the Toronto Science Center for a sweetheart price. Unfortunately this space is no longer available for 2024. So unless Francis is able to pull another rabbit out of his hat...we are looking at a minimum of $15,000 plus tax out in the burbs.

We have been forced to increase our entry fees by 20% on average.

Chess'n Math pays GST and TVQ on all Quebec entry fees and HST on Ontario entry fees. These are included in our published fees.

Larry

Comment

Hi Paul;
      If the hotel is increasing the rate by 100% there could be one of three reasons. 1. They have had some issues with the chess players around and in the Hotel and may not want you back unless you pay higher rates.2. They see how much you pay out in prizes and they feel if you can give out that much cash you can afford a rate increase. 3. They see that you keep coming back to them so are now looking for a cash grab. Basically saying you have to pay to play.

Comment

This has been an issue in recent years. A number of years ago, I could find a hotel in Mississauga for as little as $70 or $80 per night. The same room is over $180 these days. Hotels often change ownership. In 2015 Windsor did the CYCC with a rental of about $10,000 for four days. We went back to the same hotel the next year and got a quote for $80,000 as they had somehow severed the connection between the hotel and meeting space so that they no longer considered expected hotel nights sold in coming up with a rental package.

Often hotels sell meeting space at a discount to sell hotel rooms. If the rooms are already full there is no incentive to lower the price on meeting space.

Comment

Originally posted by John Brown View Post
          Hi Paul;
          If the hotel is increasing the rate by 100% there could be one of three reasons. 1. They have had some issues with the chess players around and in the Hotel and may not want you back unless you pay higher rates.2. They see how much you pay out in prizes and they feel if you can give out that much cash you can afford a rate increase. 3. They see that you keep coming back to them so are now looking for a cash grab. Basically saying you have to pay to play.
          John: no, no, and no. Nothing to do with chess. Since covid, downtown hotels are full and have doubled their prices for everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post

John: no, no, and no. Nothing to do with chess. Since covid, downtown hotels are full and have doubled their prices for everybody.
            I think Erik is correct ... it's a too-much-demand imbalance ... for example, non-chess hotels I used to stay at whose prices have quadrupled!

Comment

I think as it is on topic I would encourage developing relationships with your city hall. I know everyone in Canadian chess is aware of our local support at Kitchener City Hall and they continue to help us with a great financial relationship in the community centers around Kitchener. Its not only Kitchener - the London Chess Club benefited from a relationship at London City Hall and Im sure there are others (including Brantford). It may not influence the cost of hotel rooms but will bring great savings to playing sites and clubs. Food for thought.

Comment

In a normal year I run six tournaments for the RA Chess Club and the EOCA in Ottawa at the RA Centre. Pre-covid, 2011-2020, these were tournaments run in one room with 30-60 participants. We paid a flat rate for the room of $300 that was increased at some point to $500.

Since September of 2021 we are in two rooms and have been in and around 100 participants. Our current arrangement with the RA is a flat $500 for the first 90 players and $20 per player from 91. We sold out our last tournament [2023 Ottawa Fall Open] and paid $1,120 for the site. Total of 125 players with 122 paid entries.

This is the first time I have had to turn away chess players from a tournament.

Our fee structure is $60 U1600 $80 U1900 and $100 for Open or over 1801, with a discount for masters.

Payouts were above advertised prizes. First place paid as follows; Open $1,260, U1900 $760 and U1600 $700.

Comment

I think the trick is to move away from downtown. If there is a will, there is way and hope you find a good place for a reasonable price.

Comment

Hans's Chess Festival in the Kitchener City Hall was amazing. Yes, make friends with your city hall too.

Comment

Back in the day, when I was Secretary of Hart House Chess Club, we could run 3 or 4 tournaments a year for free in the Debates Room or Music Room. Running my tournament in Banff, I got very favourable rates since it is run in early November which is the 'shoulder' season in Banff.

Comment

Working...
                      X