Canada's newest Grandmaster Shawn Rodrigue Lemieux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada's newest Grandmaster Shawn Rodrigue Lemieux

Huge congratulations Shawn on achieving the grandmaster title and having a fabulous tournament!

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
    Huge congratulations Shawn on achieving the grandmaster title and having a fabulous tournament!
    Wow!! Congratulations Shawn, on this super achievement,
    From all at the Chess 'N Math Association!
    So proud of you!
    Last edited by Francis Rodriguez; Friday, 3rd November, 2023, 10:22 PM.

Comment

GREAT NEWS! In honour of Shawn, tonight at the RA tournament, I will wear a shirt that I bought only because I saw him wearing it years ago. I suspected he would succeed, but this is SO FAST!

Comment

Let the celebrations begin!

Comment

As Victor Plotkin said in another thread. No pressure, just chess in round ten and Shawn plays an amazing game with a sparkling finish!

Comment

WIM Fiona Steil-Antoni interviewed Shawn about his tournament performance and earning his final norms (GM norm and rating norm). You can see it at https://youtu.be/Rmyn1D-BkQ0?t=20587.

I had the pleasure of meeting Shawn last year at the CYCC and Canadian Open in Hamilton where I was a floor arbiter. He struck me as a very nice young man who showed a great deal of promise. He has already fulfilled that promise. I expect he will represent Canada very well for many years.

Congratulations Shawn!

Comment

Comment

Diagram above from Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux's round 10 game after 26.Bxe4! Knockout!

Shawn R-L vs Warmerdam, rd 10, 2023 Isle of Man, November 4
                Last edited by Hans Jung; Sunday, 5th November, 2023, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Comment

Final position above from Amin vs Shawn RL's 9th round game at 2023 Isle of Man which ended in a draw. This draw secured Shawn's final GM norm and gives him the grandmaster title! What a momentous occasion!
                    Last edited by Hans Jung; Sunday, 5th November, 2023, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Shawn got his final GM norm in a tournament where he played against a almost 2660 average opposition, this is really amazing and I did not expect that at all. Congrats to Shawn .
                      In the last 2 years everything Shawn touched in chess turned to gold. Continue on that road young man.

Comment

Does anyone know when Shawn will be awarded the title? When would Fide make the announcement? Are there any official timelines on when Fide ratifies titles?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
                          Does anyone know when Shawn will be awarded the title? When would Fide make the announcement? Are there any official timelines on when Fide ratifies titles?
                          V.Plotkin will give the definite answer. Though most likely during the 2024 council meeting. It is not yet on the list
                          https://ratings.fide.com/titles_page.phtml

Comment

Congratulations GM Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux!

Shawn has played in my Ottawa tournaments for a very long time. I am really glad he got the GM title done.

Comment

Chesskid.com posted two pictures of Shawn on our Facebook page: One when he was in elementary school and one of today.

Shawn first learned chess in grade 1 at his school where Chess'n Math was giving chess lessons. His teacher was Thierry Libersan, who continues to teach for us today.

You can see the pictures at: https://www.facebook.com/echecs.chess.math

Comment

Working...
                              X