New Book on a Famous Canadian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Book on a Famous Canadian

The Life and Games of Frank Anderson, by John Donaldson, is being put out by New in Chess (NIC).

Not sure if anyone else has reported this, if so I apologize for missing the thread.

Re: New Book on a Famous Canadian

Originally posted by Howard Streit View Post
    The Life and Games of Frank Anderson, by John Donaldson, is being put out by New in Chess (NIC).

Not sure if anyone else has reported this, if so I apologize for missing the thread.
    Hi Howard,

Thanks for pointing this out. It looks like it's actually published by Moravian Chess, but NIC is selling it.

Larry, any chance you'll order this?

Comment

Hi Neil,

Thought I would allow the youngsters a chance to read an excerpt from Donaldson on his book on Anderson. I am sure few have heard of him.

"The origins of the work before you depended heavily on serendipity. Ten years ago, while visiting Los Angeles, I bought a book on a Russian championship published in Dutch, at a used book store.

Examining it later at my friend Jeremy Silman's home, I noticed that it had been previously owned by Frank Anderson of Toronto and mentioned this to Jeremy.

He thought it was funny because as a teenager growing up in San Diego in the early 1970s he had gone to a few meetings for the strongest players in San Diego.

The meetings were hosted by a Frank Anderson who Jeremy remembered as being a strong player and very supportive. Surely they could not be the same player, could they?

A few weeks later after doing some research I discovered they were, and that the previous owner of my book was not just any old player.

He was an International Master who had twice turned in the highest percentage in Olympiads on board two and had won a pair of Canadian Championship titles.

A little bit more digging revealed that Anderson only started playing in his late teens after battling back from a serious illness that left him bed-ridden for over half a decade.(..)

Anderson played only a handful of tournaments in the United States but with a uniformly high rate of success. (..) Probably the greatest mystery in Anderson's career is his performance at the Munich Olympiad in 1958.

There he had the best percentage score on board two and legend has it was cheated out of the Grandmaster title. The reader will find a detailed examination of the evidence as to what really happened.

I have tried as much as possible to let Anderson tell his own story through his writing whether it be annotations to his games or articles he wrote. This has been supplemented by material from magazines of the time, particularly Canadian Chess Chat, Chess Life and Chess Review.

Finally the author, aided by his tireless friends Fritz 11 and Rybka 2.3, has stepped in when needed to provide commentary.

This is not a "best games" book. You get the good, the bad and the ugly. Fortunately Anderson was not a beginner for very long and just a few years after starting to play was a Master.

Comment

Well that's another book on a famous Canadian chess player. Who do we have on our list so far?

Duncan Suttles (trilogy)
        Bryan Nickoloff
        Dan Abe Yanofsky
        Frank Anderson
        Andy Fletcher

Have I missed anybody else?

I'm awaiting Lawrence Day's memorable game collection.

Comment

New Book on a Famous Canadian

Neil Sullivan

Comment

Well that's another book on a famous Canadian chess player. Who do we have on our list so far?

Duncan Suttles (trilogy)
            Bryan Nickoloff
            Dan Abe Yanofsky
            Frank Anderson
            Andy Fletcher

Have I missed anybody else?

I'm awaiting Lawrence Day's memorable game collection.
            There are certainly a lot of players from whom I would love to see books. Day, Spraggett and Hébert come to mind as strong players who also write well. Of course, there are many others.

A great project too would be an English-language book in the same vein as Coudari's "100 Québec Games". It was a collection of games played by a number of québecois players. A similar effort of Canadian games could be expanded to 200 games quite easily and could be very entertaining.

It would be a way to underline the efforts of players who might not merit a complete book.

As I have in the past, I'll lament that there haven't been more books of games by Canadian players. The technology exists for anyone who wishes to print a book today to do so, but the number of books remains limited.

Comment

There was also the book on Alexandre Lesiège written by Jean-Pierre Rhéaume - who often posts here.

"Sur les sentiers d'Alexandre Lesiège" - 1999.

Other collections may be found on David Cohen's web page at:

http://web.ncf.ca/bw998/canmedia.html

Comment

Was a F.Bogatyrchuk's book translated into English? (Мой жизненный путь к Власову и Пражскому Манифесту"; "My living way with Vlasov and Manifesto of Prague" (San Francisco, 1978)"

Comment

"Bullet Chess - One Minute to Mate" is a new "Sorta" Canadian Chess Book

It is published in the USA but has one of the authors Canadian. It is by Bruce Harper and Hikaru Nakamura and details HN's Bullet Chess Games on ICC. Those on Stephen Wright's mailing list will know about the launch in Vancouver this week, but after that, the only place I know to order it will be www.chesscafe.com but their postage charges are usually quite high to Canada.

Maybe Larry...

Comment

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
                    Neil Sullivan
                    Paul Arvaj
                    Peter Broffman

no, Bohatirchuk's book was not translated into English. I do not recall that it contained any chess games, it was memoirs.

Comment

Or is that Harold Bohn?

Yakov Zusmanovich and Sergey Voronkov are supposed to be publishing an English version of Bohatirchuk's book with additional materials and games, not sure when though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                        no, Bohatirchuk's book was not translated into English. I do not recall that it contained any chess games, it was memoirs.
                        a while ago on chessgames.com (2002?) i *believe* on the bohatirchuk page (you'll have to look) someone translated a pamphlet that bohatirchuk had written on his stop in prague and did a match (it may have been a simul) against 6 players including pachman. when i get home i'll see if i can dig it up
                        Last edited by Craig Sadler; Tuesday, 27th October, 2009, 08:16 AM. Reason: edit quote

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
                          Yakov Zusmanovich and Sergey Voronkov are supposed to be publishing an English version of Bohatirchuk's book with additional materials and games, not sure when though.
                          Meanwhile Voronkov writes a lot of about Bogatirchuk at chesspro (in Russian). The newest article published today (October 27) - http://chesspro.ru/_events/2009/voronkov4.html

Comment

"In 1948 my brother-in-law moved to Canada with his wife and children. Although my career prospects were much greater in Germany, we made the decision not to break up our family - assuming that my brother-in-law as my nearest relative would manage to get us an immigration visa. We did get the visa, and in the following year my wife and I successfully got through all the immigration hurdles and set sail for the shores of Canada.
                            I must say that besides a reluctance to part from my family, there were two other reasons for emigrating beyond the ocean. The first was the hope of finding in the rich country of Canada – and its equally rich neighbour the USA – a much better opportunity to continue my scientific work. The second was the real prospect of continuing the political struggle against the totalitarian dictatorship in the USSR..."

I don't have Bohatirchuk's book, just an abridged series of articles from Shakhmatny Vestnik (1992).
                            Last edited by Dan Scoones; Wednesday, 28th October, 2009, 08:39 PM.

Comment

I got my copy today from Holland. It ended up costing about $48; pricey, but probably a must for many fans of Canadian chess.

It features the usual Moravian Chess physical quality. That is to say - not too good! The paper is poor and so is the clarity of the included photos. The printing is crisp enough though.

The binding is good, but features glued-on panels on both covers and the spine.

The really great feature is that it has a lot of Frank Anderson's own annotations from period magazines. As well, Donaldson managed to contact Anderson's widow who had preserved all of her late husband's chess material.

In his introduction, Donaldson credits and thanks many Canadians for their assistance and general work in preserving history.

Comment

Working...
                              X