New Book on a Famous Canadian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Bullet Chess - One Minute to Mate" is a new "Sorta" Canadian Chess Book

Originally posted by J. Ken MacDonald View Post
    It is published in the USA but has one of the authors Canadian. It is by Bruce Harper and Hikaru Nakamura and details HN's Bullet Chess Games on ICC. Those on Stephen Wright's mailing list will know about the launch in Vancouver this week, but after that, the only place I know to order it will be www.chesscafe.com but their postage charges are usually quite high to Canada.

Maybe Larry...
    Yes we will be carrying all these titles as soon as they become available to us. All of them will be available so that people will have them for Xmas.

Bullet Chess is published by Chess Cafe) - Hanon Russell. Hanon has decided that he will not distribute his titles to other retailers for 4-8 weeks after they are available so that he can pick up a major part of the initial sales....

Larry

Comment

Re: New Book on a Famous Canadian

I have been curious about this player for some time. I'd like to get a copy of that book.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
        "In 1948 my brother-in-law moved to Canada with his wife and children. Although my career prospects were much greater in Germany, we made the decision not to break up our family - assuming that my brother-in-law as my nearest relative would manage to get us an immigration visa. We did get the visa, and in the following year my wife and I successfully got through all the immigration hurdles and set sail for the shores of Canada.
        I must say that besides a reluctance to part from my family, there were two other reasons for emigrating beyond the ocean. The first was the hope of finding in the rich country of Canada – and its equally rich neighbour the USA – a much better opportunity to continue my scientific work. The second was the real prospect of continuing the political struggle against the totalitarian dictatorship in the USSR..."

I don't have Bohatirchuk's book, just an abridged series of articles from Shakhmatny Vestnik (1992).
        Not brother-in-law. It was a son-in-law Dr. Yury (George) Jeletzky who was married to Dr. Bohatirchuk's daughter Tamara (Dr. Tamara Jeletzky). They had 4 kids: daughters Lilya, Galya ans sons Alexander and Ted.
        Dr. Bohatirchuk had a brother Vladimir who was 2 years younger. His fate is unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakov Zusmanovich View Post
          Not brother-in-law. It was a son-in-law Dr. Yury (George) Jeletzky who was married to Dr. Bohatirchuk's daughter Tamara (Dr. Tamara Jeletzky). They had 4 kids: daughters Lilya, Galya ans sons Alexander and Ted.
          Dr. Bohatirchuk had a brother Vladimir who was 2 years younger. His fate is unknown.
          Russian uses the same word for both relatives, so without direct knowledge the poor translator is rolling the dice. Thanks for clearing this up...

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Sullivan View Post
            I got my copy today from Holland.
            Has the book any pictures inside?

I got a piece of the Toronto Star with a report on Bondarevsky-Anderson transatlantic game with the gamescore (CanBase has it and it posted at the end) and a picture. It possible to see a part of a poster for the game: "A SUDDEN DEATH GAME BY CABLE..."

Any ideas why it was a sudden death?

(if there is an interest I could make a scan of the article and post it here.)

Game:

[Event "Cable Moscow-Toronto"]
            [Site "Moscow URS"]
            [Date "1954.02.??"]
            [Round "?"]
            [White "Bondarevsky, Igor"]
            [Black "Anderson, Frank"]
            [Result "1-0"]
            [ECO "E59"]
            [PlyCount "82"]
            [EventDate "1954.02.??"]
            [EventRounds "1"]
            [EventCountry "URS"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. e3 c5 5. Nf3 O-O 6. Bd3 d5 7. O-O Nc6 8. a3 Bxc3 9. bxc3 dxc4 10. Bxc4 Qc7 11. a4 e5 12. Qc2 b6 13. Bd3 Rd8 14. Ng5 h6 15. Ne4 Nxe4 16. Bxe4 Ba6 17. Rd1 Rab8 18. Ba3 Na5 19. dxc5 bxc5 20. Rxd8+ Rxd8 21. Rd1 Rd6 22. Rd5 Rxd5 23. Bxd5 Bc4 24. Qe4 Bxd5 25. Qxd5 Nb7 26. h3 Kh8 27. g3 f6 28. e4 a5 29. Kg2 Kh7 30. Bc1 Nd6 31. Be3 c4 32. Bc5 Nc8 33. h4 h5 34. Kg1 Kh8 35. Bf8 Kh7 36. Ba3 Kh8 37. Qe6 Qd8 38. Qf7 Nb6 39. Bf8 Qd7 40. Bxg7+ Kh7 41. Qxf6 1-0
            Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Monday, 8th February, 2010, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              Has the book any pictures inside?

I got a piece of the Toronto Star with a report on Bondarevsky-Anderson transatlantic game with the gamescore (CanBase has it and it posted at the end) and a picture. It possible to see a part of a poster for the game: "A SUDDEN DEATH GAME BY CABLE..."

Any ideas why it was a sudden death?

(if there is an interest I could make a scan of the article and post it here.)

Game:

[Event "Cable Moscow-Toronto"]
              [Site "Moscow URS"]
              [Date "1954.02.??"]
              [Round "?"]
              [White "Bondarevsky, Igor"]
              [Black "Anderson, Frank"]
              [Result "1-0"]
              [ECO "E59"]
              [PlyCount "82"]
              [EventDate "1954.02.??"]
              [EventRounds "1"]
              [EventCountry "URS"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 Bb4 4. e3 c5 5. Nf3 O-O 6. Bd3 d5 7. O-O Nc6 8. a3 Bxc3 9. bxc3 dxc4 10. Bxc4 Qc7 11. a4 e5 12. Qc2 b6 13. Bd3 Rd8 14. Ng5 h6 15. Ne4 Nxe4 16. Bxe4 Ba6 17. Rd1 Rab8 18. Ba3 Na5 19. dxc5 bxc5 20. Rxd8+ Rxd8 21. Rd1 Rd6 22. Rd5 Rxd5 23. Bxd5 Bc4 24. Qe4 Bxd5 25. Qxd5 Nb7 26. h3 Kh8 27. g3 f6 28. e4 a5 29. Kg2 Kh7 30. Bc1 Nd6 31. Be3 c4 32. Bc5 Nc8 33. h4 h5 34. Kg1 Kh8 35. Bf8 Kh7 36. Ba3 Kh8 37. Qe6 Qd8 38. Qf7 Nb6 39. Bf8 Qd7 40. Bxg7+ Kh7 41. Qxf6 Kg8 1-0
              There are a dozen poor-quality black & white photos in the middle of the book and another on the front cover.

The game played by cable took place over 4 days, February 9-12, and took a total of 34 hours and 15 minutes! Actual game time by both players is at about 2 1/2 hours each, so the technical challenge of transmitting the moves accounted for all the time taken.

The game was played as part of a hobby show, so that event would have had a scheduled length which probably accounts for the sudden death aspect.

Notes in the book are by Golombek and Bondarevsky and include the information that the match was originally conceived as a contest between Botvinnik and a leading US player. Anderson was chosen when it proved difficult to secure the services of an American player, although he was reluctant to play due to his heavy university workload. Bondarevsky was chosen to represent the Soviets.

In the book, the game is given as 1-0 after White's 41st.

The book is growing on me and I'm happy to have ordered it. It wasn't in the CMA Montreal store when I stopped in on Friday so it may not be available from them.

I haven't really seen too much mention of it on the net. I was sure there would be a review on jeremysilman.com since it was written by John Donaldson, but there has been nothing yet.
              Last edited by Neil Sullivan; Sunday, 7th February, 2010, 10:08 PM.

Comment

In the book, the game is given as 1-0 after White's 41st.
                :D Kg8 was analyzed by my son and missed by me :D

The article ended: "... I (I.B.) am sure our match will strengthen the connection between Soviet and Canadian chess players."

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                  a scan of the article and post it here.

Comment

Re : Re: New Book on a Famous Canadian

Originally posted by Howard Streit View Post
                    Well that's another book on a famous Canadian chess player. Who do we have on our list so far?

Duncan Suttles (trilogy)
                    Bryan Nickoloff
                    Dan Abe Yanofsky
                    Frank Anderson
                    Andy Fletcher

Have I missed anybody else?
                    Chess is a Struggle: My Selected Games by Neil Sullivan (published in 2005)

Comment

Re: Re : Re: New Book on a Famous Canadian

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
                      Chess is a Struggle: My Selected Games by Neil Sullivan (published in 2005)
                      Merci Louis. I can now claim "sales" of over 400 copies, although some are downloads of the pdf file from lulu.com

I know it has been shipped to over 2 dozen countries. Every time I get a new e-mail from someone who bought it, I am tickled pink!

While I have been lazily working on another title, I find it very difficult to work under this kind of pressure. It may therefore take a long. long time. :)

Comment

Hello Neil
                        many chess players are an inspiration in different way.
                        I got an idea for a chess book: A la recherche d une premiere norme a 60 ans.

But, since I will turn 60 only in July, i still have to wait a few months before
                        including the first game in my book.

Not so important is to know if there is life after dead ;
                        more important is to have life before dead.

In some way Jean Hebert should be an inspiration for many of us.
                        best wishes

Comment

Originally posted by Gilles Groleau View Post
                          Hello Neil

But, since I will turn 60 only in July, i still have to wait a few months before

best wishes
                          Well said M. Groleau. I also turn 60 in July... perhaps I will consider the challenge too! If death is the absence of life, many apparently living people are dead.
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilles Groleau View Post
                            Hello Neil

best wishes
                            Salut Gilles,

Even if you're still far too young to write that book, you can always sharpen some pencils, arrange your supply of foolscap and begin the introduction "en attendant". :)

If you have a book in you, then by all means let it out! There's a great deal of risk and effort involved, but also much potential for personal satisfaction.

I suppose you could argue that whippersnapper Hébert was an inspiration of sorts, but as long as he's traipsing around in Europe instead of playing in the Chibougamau Open, I must withhold my praise. :D

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                              Well said M. Groleau. I also turn 60 in July... perhaps I will consider the challenge too! If death is the absence of life, many apparently living people are dead.
                              Yes. Work will take the energy right out of you.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

For A Review of the Anderson Book...

Hi Howard,

Thanks for pointing this out. It looks like it's actually published by Moravian Chess, but NIC is selling it.

Larry, any chance you'll order this?

http://www.jeremysilman.com/book_rev...Andersson.html

Comment

Working...
                                X