X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Canadian Game Show-Chess Tournament

Hi: Next weekend, Nov.6-8.09 at the International Centre, see URL below,
    there is a chess tournament run by "TorontoChessClub.com". I cannot
    identify the person behind it or the club's location. Does anyone know?

http://www.thehobbyshow.com/Tournament_Information.html

Re: The Great Canadian Game Show-Chess Tournament

On the one hand, it's nice to see a new organiser. On the other...

No individual clocks, apparently. "30 minutes will be given to each player and monitored by a clock"

Note the sophisticated tiebreak system for individual games "If there is a tie, points will be tallied up."

I was at an elementary tournament a couple of years ago, where the "point count" system was used. Black sacked a piece for an unstoppable mate in two. White took the piece, but then just didn't move... when the time for the round expired, an "arbiter" counted the material on the board, noting that Black was a piece down, and awarded the win to White. The fact that Black had mate next move was disregarded.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilf Ferner View Post
      Hi: Next weekend, Nov.6-8.09 at the International Centre, see URL below,
      there is a chess tournament run by "TorontoChessClub.com". I cannot
      identify the person behind it or the club's location. Does anyone know?

http://www.thehobbyshow.com/Tournament_Information.html
      Based on a little bit of domain name detective work, I'd say that the organizer is a gentleman named Amin Kardan. If I am correct, this gentleman has also done some organizing in soccer (http://www.jlsoccer.com/soccer/index.php). My conclusions follow from the fact that "Justice League Football" owns the domain name TorontoChessClub.com and Mr. Kardan is the founder of "Justice League Football". Beyond these wild speculations, I know nothing. In any case, it is always good to see new blood in the Toronto chess community.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
        Based on a little bit of domain name detective work, I'd say that the organizer is a gentleman named Amin Kardan. If I am correct, this gentleman has also done some organizing in soccer (http://www.jlsoccer.com/soccer/index.php). My conclusions follow from the fact that "Justice League Football" owns the domain name TorontoChessClub.com and Mr. Kardan is the founder of "Justice League Football". Beyond these wild speculations, I know nothing. In any case, it is always good to see new blood in the Toronto chess community.
        I had to do a double take when I saw the name Amin Kardan. I used to work next to a gentleman by that name in Toronto over 10 years ago. The Amin Kardan that I knew is now likely over 70 years old, so there must be more than one person with that name in Toronto :)
        Last edited by Jordan S. Berson; Saturday, 31st October, 2009, 09:03 PM.
        No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
          ... when the time for the round expired, an "arbiter" counted the material on the board, noting that Black was a piece down, and awarded the win to White. The fact that Black had mate next move was disregarded.
          That's just nuts!!!!
          No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
            I had to do a double take when I saw the name Amin Kardan. I used to work next to a gentleman by that name in Toronto over 10 years ago. The Amin Kardan that I knew is now likely over 70 years old, so there must be more than one person with that name in Toronto :)
            No, it's a different guy. Based on the picture on his soccer web site, he looks to be about 30 or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
              That's just nuts!!!!
              I played in such tournaments before. On the board beside me, one kid one a pawn in the opening, and decided not to move. Win!

Comment

Steve,

If you read my message carefully, I stated that there must be two people with that name. I had already seen his photo, and he looks a lot younger than 30 - which makes sense since he just graduated from college in 2008...

Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Karpik View Post
                  No, it's a different guy. Based on the picture on his soccer web site, he looks to be about 30 or so.
                  Actually, I'm 26. Also, you are right. I run a soccer league as well. The Toronto Chess Club was created to host monthly chess tournaments, but since I have not had much time to continue with the venture. I did however host a chess tournament at the Hobby Show last year (2009). Lastly, there were individual clocks for each table ;) I would like to get more involved in bringing chess back to the forefront and I have some other projects that I'm involved with with the City of Toronto. Only time will tell.

Glad to see you guys took an interest. Thought I would register to the forums to give you guys a straight answer. Apologies for bringing up an old thread.

Thank you,

Amin

Comment

' Old ' Toronto Chess Club?

Hi Amin:

You might want to check whether the old Toronto Chess Club still exists as a corporation - last I heard it did, though I'm not sure who is shown as its current Board of Directors. It no longer exists in fact as a club, but you may find some complaint about your using a name of an existing corporation for your chess club. Just thought I'd alert you to this, in case you weren't aware.

If anyone has information on the " corporation " , and whether I'm right that it still is an active corporation, please help me out.

Bob

Comment

Re: ' Old ' Toronto Chess Club?

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                      If anyone has information on the " corporation " , and whether I'm right that it still is an active corporation, please help me out.
                      Bob, I would think the Ontario Gov. should have some kind of a database to check for the trade names. (and I'll be not surprised if that comes with the hefty fee :D

Comment

Hi Egis:

I hope my role as CFC Governor does not involve my having to pay " hefty " Ont. Government " search " fees !!

Bob

Comment

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not really doing anything with it for now, so I'm not that concerned. If anything does come up, I'll comply...or I can always fall back on www.CanadaChessClub.com as I own that domain too ;)
                          Last edited by Amin Kardan; Wednesday, 2nd June, 2010, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Hi Amin,

I was on the executive of the Toronto Chess Club for some 10 years or so in the 1980s.

Before the club died due to its inability to pay the rent, a certain Yves Farges came along and researched its history. Apparently the club name was registered way back in the 19th century!

Where Yves is now and how he arrived at his results I do not know.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Bokhout View Post
                              Hi Amin,

I was on the executive of the Toronto Chess Club for some 10 years or so in the 1980s.

Before the club died due to its inability to pay the rent, a certain Yves Farges came along and researched its history. Apparently the club name was registered way back in the 19th century!

Where Yves is now and how he arrived at his results I do not know.
                              Wow! That's amazing. Thanks for the info. That's quite a history.

Comment

Working...
                              X