2024 Canadian Open (July 13-18)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 Canadian Open (July 13-18)

Rd. 3 in apparently 10 min. according to Lichess.org. Was tentatively scheduled for 4:00 PM, but they adjust depending on length of games in prior round.

There is one GM/IM game.

Being held in Laval, Quebec (Just north of Montreal - 2440 Autoroute des Laurentides at the Sheraton Hotel).

Note: Since being held in Quebec, you can play in any section as of right.....no playing up restriction. I was going to play, as of Friday night (Was in Montreal), and could have played in the U 2000 Section (CFC 1369; FQE 1517; FIDE 1570). But, unfortunately, then had to return to Toronto.

Bob A
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 14th July, 2024, 06:59 PM.

Are you ok with my comments mixing into this thread Bob?

Comment

Love it! Just thought we should have a generally titled thread that all could jump into.....you're welcome always to jump in in any of my threads.

Bob A

Comment

We'll make a good team. Our own Canadian commentary team!

Comment

At CFC 1369, I won't be doing much chess analysis.

Interesting note from another of my threads:

.............................................DoB.......................... City............. CFC Regular....... FIDE Standard

2. Eric Cloutier.......... 1925 (99 y.o.!)................... Quebec, QC.............. 1759.................... 1682

Eric is registered to play in the Canadian Open in Laval, QC, from Sat. (Tomorrow - July 13) - Thurs., in the U 2000 section.

Good luck & good skill!

Bob A

Comment

Live: Can be watched at: Lichess.org. - Watch - Broadcasts - 2024 Canadian Open [https://lichess.org/broadcast/2024-c...nd-3/bwEfb5uQ]

Rd. 3 - 2nd game on Sunday

Updates:

My Position Assessments - be kind; from a CFC D Class player

Top Six Boards - Highest Player

1. GM Van Foreest, Jorden 2671 - Netherlands - won.
            2. GM Stefansson, Vignir 2500 - Iceland - won
            3. GM Michalevski, Victor 2499 - Israel - won.
            4. GM Rodrigue-Lemieux, Shawn 2499 - Canadian - Prov. of Quebec - won
            5. GM Kantans, Toms 2471 - Latvia - won
            6. IM Migot, Tangi 2345 - FIDE Federation - France (Don't have citizenship; appears currently resident in Montreal, QC) - won

Rd. 4 - Monday, July 15 @ 2:00 PM

Time Control: 90 + 30

Please advise of any corrections or add any missing info.....thanks

Bob A (Avid Chess Player! CFC 1369; FQE 1517; FIDE 1570; USCF 1546)
            Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 14th July, 2024, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Live: Can be watched at: Lichess.org. - Watch - Broadcasts - 2024 Canadian Open [https://lichess.org/broadcast/2024-c...nd-3/bwEfb5uQ]

Updates (Made as I check in): X:00 PM

Rd. 4 - 2:00 PM, Monday, July 15

My Position Assessments - be kind; from a CFC D Class player

Top Six Boards - Highest Player

1. GM Van Foreest, Jorden 2671 - Netherlands - 3/3 pts.
              2. GM Stefansson, Vignir 2500 - Iceland - 3/3 pts.
              3. GM Michalevski, Victor 2499 - Israel - 3/3 pts.
              4. GM Rodrigue-Lemieux, Shawn 2499 - Canadian - Montreal, Quebec - 3/3 pts.
              5. GM Kantans, Toms 2471 - Latvia - 3/3 pts.
              6. IM Migot, Tangi 2345 - FIDE Federation - France (Don't have citizenship; appears currently resident in Montreal, QC) - 3/3 pts.

Others with 3/3 pts. - 4 - all Canadians!
              12 IM Chiku-Ratte, Olivier Kenta CAN 2314 3
              14 FM Zheng, Richard CAN 2290 3
              16 FM Stevens, Christian CAN 2241 3
              32 FM Zomorrodian, Eilia CAN 2115 3
              So we are going to have some very competitive games in Rd. 4!

Rd. 5 - Tuesday, July 16 @ 10:00 AM

Time Control: 90 + 30

Final Standings: Chess-Results: https://chess-results.com/fed.aspx?lan=1&fed=CAN

Please advise of any corrections or add any missing info.....thanks

Bob A (Avid Chess Player! CFC 1369; FQE 1517; FIDE 1570; USCF 1546)
              Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Sunday, 14th July, 2024, 10:49 PM.

Comment

I have a commitment this afternoon......so I will only be checking in to do revisions very late in the round 4.

As always, other CT'ers are strongly invited to post responses during the round (Even when I finally get here).....and Hans has a special invitation!

Thanks.

Bob A

Comment

I have made a video about a couple of games from the Canadian Open so far on my youtube channel. Please send me any games you would like to see in a recap. They don't have to be on the top boards or in the top section. Check it out and feedback would be appreciated! https://youtu.be/iCAQBjpWxCU

Comment

Which Format for the Can. Open do you prefer (all 3 have been used, AFAIK):

One big Swiss, with accelerated pairings?
                    One big Swiss with normal paring?
                    Multi-section as for 2024 (5 sections)?

Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Chris White View Post
                      I have made a video about a couple of games from the Canadian Open so far on my youtube channel. Please send me any games you would like to see in a recap. They don't have to be on the top boards or in the top section. Check it out and feedback would be appreciated! https://youtu.be/iCAQBjpWxCU
                      I like your enthusiasm. In the game Duong Kantans you asked why black played Kf8. The idea is two fold: he wants to leave the rook on the H-file to support the rook pawn and potential action against the white king and he also wants to clear the E-file because of potential action in the center which you saw happen in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                        Which Format for the Can. Open do you prefer (all 3 have been used, AFAIK):

One big Swiss, with accelerated pairings?
                        One big Swiss with normal paring?
                        Multi-section as for 2024 (5 sections)?

Bob A
                        Depends on number of players I think. If large numbers you want accelerated pairings in order to get more challenging pairings (GM vs GM, master vs master) as soon as possible.

Comment

Rd 3 Lin vs GM Van Foreest You have to admire the GM's skill level. It wasnt until move 19 that Black found a way into White's king position by first playing Nf4+ and following up with a nice destruction sacrifice Bxf2! a real shocker unless you know your tactics. The rest was an enjoyable king hunt. (I was watching)

Comment

Rd 3 Nice endgame demonstrations in the Stefansson, Mikhalevski, and Shawn RL games. Shawn in particular demonstrated high skill at high speed at the end of his game.

Comment

Rd 3 I envied IM Tangi Migot's play with the two knights and pawns. The game is well worth playing over.

Comment

Working...
                              X