The One and Only Climate Change thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The One and Only Climate Change thread...

Gary you should take everything you read on fox-news with a grain of salt, is all I'm saying (They did hire Glenn Beck). You insult news agencies that are on the left, but Fox is so far on the right it is ridiculous. The conservatives in Canada are at least generally more moderated then the republicans in the states. I don't mind either conservatives or liberals in Canada (all though I'm slightly inclined to liberalism).
    University and Chess, a difficult mix.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Cormier View Post
      Gary you should take everything you read on fox-news with a grain of salt, ...
      Adam, Absolutes like "everything" are ALWAYS wrong.

Why do you like the Liberals in Canada? Do you admire the way they sit quitely while the Conservatives mock them in the House of Commons? Do you admire the way they vote to support the government so there won't be an election? The Liberals have had a new leader for a year or more and I have no idea what policies they have. It seems the only policy is to support the Conservatives.

By the way, I don't see all the posts in this thread. Some are filtered and I think it's a nice feature.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Well from what I know the Canadian populace was getting tired of constant elections and that the liberals were/are afraid of allowing the conservatives to get a majority government(the liberals did try to force an election through a non-confidence vote back in October)

I said I was slightly inclined to Liberalism not the Liberal party of Canada, meaning I prefer the ideals and ideology of liberals in general rather then conservative ones. For example I'm for universal health care, and many other social policies.

Using absolutes is always wrong?
        I think that in this instance it might be correct, we are talking about FoxNews. Of course I am exaggerating, only slightly.

Here is a speech given by Ignatieff recently on some policies of the Liberals and the flaws with the current conservative government, http://www.liberal.ca/en/michael-ign...board-of-trade

Why don't you talk about the positive attributes that FoxNews brings to society?

Glenn Beck a famous member of FoxNews, his comments on 9/11 victims, etc...why don't they just fire him already.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          Adam, Absolutes like "everything" are ALWAYS wrong.
          Since this is an absolute claim then it too must be wrong.

Comment

I said I was slightly inclined to Liberalism not the Liberal party of Canada, meaning I prefer the ideals and ideology of liberals in general rather then conservative ones. For example I'm for universal health care, and many other social policies.
            I'm also for universal health care and other programs. I don't even mind paying my taxes. Taxes are the price we pay for the society in which we live. Of course, what we are debating is the kind of society we want.

We have a thread where people are worried about global warming which may or may not be more than normal temperature variations. When something really important, like that leak in the gulf comes up, and I start writing about that and the science and danger to different species the topic goes silent. I have to assume it's because people have to know some real science.

When I write about nuclear energy and the megatons to megawatts program there is very little discussion.

The gulf well blowout is important. The Americans are talking about how good their regulations are. I guess they will blame the blowout protector. However, as far as I know, the U.S. regulations don't require acoustic blowout protectors (BOP) which might or might not have made a difference. Probably for a well like that the cost would be an extra $500,000.00 for that type of BOP.

The Americans will have to start drilling or importing more oil as the wells start producing less with time. The price will go up which in turn will hurt industrial production.

The Americans have a lot of unconventional natural gas and the horizontal drilling and fracing is needed. However, people are afraid the fracing will cause pollution of the ground water. Probably some states will ban that type of drilling. They are drilling under the airport in Dallas (or some other city in Texas) to unlock oil and gas. What they do is drill down vertically about a mile or so and then they drill horizontally abour another mile. Then they force mud and hard debris down at high pressure to crack the rock and unlock the oil and/or gas. They make maybe 10 or 12 fractures (fracs) along the horizontal portion.

So, if you don't like Fox news, give us some science in your own words.
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Why must this 'science' be in my own words? surely I can use sources like yourself. FoxNews is just a horrible degenerate news station who's far from "fair and balanced".

Comment

Why must this 'science' be in my own words? surely I can use sources like yourself. FoxNews is just a horrible degenerate news station who's far from "fair and balanced".
                Well, but Gary himself uses Fox News for his sources, so I'd examine his claims with some care were I you.

Comment

I will try to use sources that are least a bit more reliable then FoxNews, if I use a horrific source sure tell me it is a terrible source and I shouldn't use it.

Comment

I will try to use sources that are least a bit more reliable then FoxNews, if I use a horrific source sure tell me it is a terrible source and I shouldn't use it.
                    Well, visit some of the links I've posted and decide for yourself if they are good reliable sources. I think the "Skeptical Science" website is excellent, but you may disagree.

Personally it makes sense to me that if I want to know what scientific opinion is I should talk to some scientists,
                    or at least read their web sites. Of course if you really want a good reliable education in Science then find all the old non fiction you can get from Isaac Asimov, and read them all.

Comment

Actually I really like the skeptical science website and believe it to be quite reliable (I really like skeptic argument vs what science says page). I wholeheartedly agree with you , I would also like talk to most scientists (besides the 3% who argue against climate change) about global warming.

Comment

Why must this 'science' be in my own words?
                        A talking bird or puppet can do what's being done in some posts. If you put it in your own words maybe there will be things you will find you wish to research more to see if you can come to the same conclusions.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Google "Climate Progress" and get on their email list if you want lots of information on Climate, the Oil Spill, the Volcano, extreme weather in the US, politics, etc. If you want I can send you the link but Google should easily find it. I am attending the Canadian Meteorological and Oceanic Society conference over the next week; lots of interesting talks on ice melt, etc...

P.S. I am also considering a run as CFC president!

Comment

A talking bird or puppet can do what's being done in some posts.
                            Gary could cure that simply by not posting any more!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
                              P.S. I am also considering a run as CFC president!
                              Don't forget to post a platform and line up some support from the governors.

Someone mentioned the CFC started in 1872 or something like that. I wonder if there are any life governors from then still on the board.

By the way, this thread is becoming hard to navigate.
                              Gary Ruben
                              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

A talking bird or puppet can do what's being done in some posts. If you put it in your own words maybe there will be things you will find you wish to research more to see if you can come to the same conclusions.
                                I don't believe it matters if I put it in my own words or not; the information itself and its accuracy is what matters. I will research things more that peaks my interest simple as that. If the talking bird knows the proper information we should still listen to it even if its information isn't it's own.

Comment

Working...
                                X