The One and Only Climate Change thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The One and Only Climate Change thread...

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
    It looks like we are headed for a federal election as well as a provincial one.
    I didn't see the interview. I think Harper lost my vote the last few days. I'm not thrilled seeing us in another costly conflict.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

You made assertions about costs of building a nuclear generating station. Why wouldn't I check those assertions? I stood up in the wedding of a friend who worked for Asea Brown Boveri almost 30 years ago. He worked on Pickering and used to be sent around the world to help build nuclear power stations. We used to have similar discussions with me taking the side that said nuclear was more expensive than most of its proponents accounted for.
      I can no longer follow where your logic is taking you, but I can assure you that my experience in matters nuclear far exceeds your falling down, oops, standing up, at a friends wedding thirty years ago!

For Ontario, the last nuclear station completed was Darlington, 1990-93, four units total 3500MW (the "e" is not necessary) for 14.5 billion dollars. Please don't nickel and dime the details, we're talking general figures here. That would be $4114 per kw in 1993 dollars, or at 5% inflation over eighteen years, $10,400 per kw today. Surprisingly close to Beckworth's assertion.....

Two or three years ago the Ontario government abandoned a proposal to extend Darlington because of the terribly high capital cost of AECL's bid, which was, hold your breath .... $10,800 per kw installed.

I am not going to get into a defence of these numbers - they will have to be much lower for AECL to get back into the game in Ontario, and they will claim they will be - but your figures for the U.S. may be true because they do not have the heavy water, which is a capital cost, but do have enriched uranium, which is a very expensive operating cost. Most studies will suggest that a cost comparison of the generated power between the two is a saw-off over the plant life-time. The problem is that this comparison is totally dependent on the assumptions made over financing and economic factors over long periods of time, which can be very nebulous, in general, and certainly political in detail.

Enough! My point is that your pronouncements on nuclear power are not believable, show no real knowledge, and suggest to me that you treat the whole complicated debate on global warming with the same lack of rigour. So I don't believe anything you say!

Better luck with your chess.....
      Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
        I can no longer follow where your logic is taking you, but I can assure you that my experience in matters nuclear far exceeds your falling down, oops, standing up, at a friends wedding thirty years ago!

For Ontario, the last nuclear station completed was Darlington, 1990-93, four units total 3500MW (the "e" is not necessary) for 14.5 billion dollars. Please don't nickel and dime the details, we're talking general figures here. That would be $4114 per kw in 1993 dollars, or at 5% inflation over eighteen years, $10,400 per kw today. Surprisingly close to Beckworth's assertion.....
        And yet the consumer price index for Canada hasn't been anywhere near 5% in any of the years since then and in fact has been below 2% over most of that period.

http://www.global-rates.com/economic...pi/canada.aspx

Pardon me, if I colour you as just another person with an axe to grind who plays fast and loose with his figures just like Paul.

Two or three years ago the Ontario government abandoned a proposal to extend Darlington because of the terribly high capital cost of AECL's bid, which was, hold your breath .... $10,800 per kw installed.

I am not going to get into a defence of these numbers - they will have to be much lower for AECL to get back into the game in Ontario, and they will claim they will be - but your figures for the U.S. may be true because they do not have the heavy water, which is a capital cost, but do have enriched uranium, which is a very expensive operating cost. Most studies will suggest that a cost comparison of the generated power between the two is a saw-off over the plant life-time. The problem is that this comparison is totally dependent on the assumptions made over financing and economic factors over long periods of time, which can be very nebulous, in general, and certainly political in detail.
        The assumptions made over financing are not that nebulous. You use the discount rate that matches your marginal cost of capital.

Enough! My point is that your pronouncements on nuclear power are not believable, show no real knowledge, and suggest to me that you treat the whole complicated debate on global warming with the same lack of rigour. So I don't believe anything you say!

Better luck with your chess.....
        Well your pronouncements on nuclear power are not believable (since you seem to believe that 5% compounding over 18 years leads to the same result as 1% to 2.4% compounding), show no real knowledge, and suggest to me that you treat the whole complicated debate on global warming with the same lack of rigour.

I don't care if you believe me or not. I will be dead before the temperature goes up 2 degrees Celsius by the year 2100 if the worst case comes to fruition. I think mankind will survive and adapt. I believe that global cooling is more of a danger than global warming as we have survived warmer temperatures than the realistic worst case figures [2 degrees] without all the technology to help us.

Thanks for wishing me luck with the chess.
        Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Sunday, 20th March, 2011, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
          I didn't see the interview. I think Harper lost my vote the last few days. I'm not thrilled seeing us in another costly conflict.
          Expect us to get into more costly conflicts over the years no matter who wins the election. Harper's advantage is that he is the lesser evil out of the alternatives that we have.

Comment

I am not sure what all of our wars have accomplished. In Afghanistan, we still have an environment where it is okay to throw acid in little girls' faces because they want to learn to read and write.

Comment

Once again, Vlad demonstrates an ignorance of basics physics.

Energy is measured in Joules.
              Power is measured in Watts (Joules/second)
              Kilo = 1000x
              Kilowatt*hour = kWh = unit that appears on our electricity bills
              1 kWh = 1000 (Joules/second) x 1 hour (x3600 seconds/hour) = 3.6x10**6 Joules is
              a unit of energy
              Power plants (note they are called Power plants, not energy plants as Vlad thought) are usually rated in MW (1 million Watts) or even GW (1 billion Watts).

Vlad is not expected to know this because he has taken business courses (without getting the degree).

The only reason I give my background areas of study is so the reader knows when I talk about physics, math, engineering, climate change I know what I am talking about, when Vlad talks about business he may know more than others since he studied this...

HTH...

Comment

I guess it depends on which evil is more palitable to the voters.

Cynical is doing the dirty work on the weekend when the financial markets are closed to minimize the damage of uncertainty when they open Monday morning. In case anyone is wondering about the Blitzkrieg on the weekend.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

And yet the consumer price index for Canada hasn't been anywhere near 5% in any of the years since then and in fact has been below 2% over most of that period.

[I]I believe it's the cost of capital financing, not CPI, that is the important figure here. Quite a bit more than 2%[/I]

Pardon me, if I colour you as just another person with an axe to grind who plays fast and loose with his figures just like Paul.

[I]I have no axe to grind[/I]

The assumptions made over financing are not that nebulous. You use the discount rate that matches your marginal cost of capital.

And you can predict the cost of financing these huge expenditures over the next twenty years?

Well your pronouncements on nuclear power are not believable (since you seem to believe that 5% compounding over 18 years leads to the same result as 1% to 2.4% compounding), show no real knowledge, and suggest to me that you treat the whole complicated debate on global warming with the same lack of rigour.

I have expessed absolutely no opinion on global warming. I asked you not to nickel and dime the figures, but no, you are incapable of that, as you are at grasping some basic fundamentals of energy and capacity units, and of project financing. Forget the compounding, the last AECL bid to Ontario was $10,800 per kw, forget the "e"
                  I should have remembered that it is pointless to argue with someone that has that certainty of opinion that runs on emotion rather than science.....
                  Fred Harvey

Comment

By the way, tacking an e on to the end of a power number, like MWe or kWe for example is sometimes done to indicate that this power is in electrical form (as opposed to MWt for example, which would be thermal power). All power plants heat water to produce steam to run electrical generators, whether they be use oil, coal, natural gas, nuclear, etc to heat the water. Thus e is not a unit but a designation for electrical. Conversion efficiency of the plant is just the ratio MWe/MWt * 100%, typically in the range of 30-40% or even lower.

Anyone (like Vlad) can find links to this stuff and post them to try to trick people into thinking that knowledge (thought) is behind the post; unlike Vlad I understand this stuff as Fred does (aside: I worked for Ontario Hydro for a summer job in 3rd year university working on fortran code simulating bidirectional fueling, cadmium control rod cooling, and boron injection shut-down systems for Candu reactor systems, and simulating LOCA (loss of coolant accidents)...cadmium and boron have high neutron cross sections and thus scavenge the slow neutrons taking the reactor sub-critical...

Vlad, the more you post the sillier you look...please stop making stuff up...HTH...

Comment

Fred, the arguing is not for Vlads sake. It is for the other readers of this site that do not post. I think that they should get correct information; they know after a while who to get it from and who to laugh (privately) at...

Comment

Vlad, you are no longer interested in the Tunnel Duty Free Shop? You removed it from your facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/haleyraedanc...00000642763696

Why don't you friend my page; some of my friends (like me) would be very amused with ripping your nonsense to shreds...

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post

Originally Posted by Vlad Drkulec

I believe it's the cost of capital financing, not CPI, that is the important figure here. Quite a bit more than 2%
                          The cost of financing is not the correct number to use in determining the present day cost after inflation of a nuclear power station. The correct method is a discounted cash flow model (net present value) where the discount rate is the marginal after tax cost of capital.

I have no axe to grind

And you can predict the cost of financing these huge expenditures over the next twenty years?
                          Yes, because you will finance them with 20 or 25 or 30 year bonds. You match the financing to the life of the asset being financed. Since you imply intimate knowledge of the nuclear industry, you should know this. This practice is not confined to the nuclear industry. Most industry operates in the same manner.

I have expessed absolutely no opinion on global warming. I asked you not to nickel and dime the figures, but no, you are incapable of that, as you are at grasping some basic fundamentals of energy and capacity units, and of project financing. Forget the compounding, the last AECL bid to Ontario was $10,800 per kw, forget the "e"

I should have remembered that it is pointless to argue with someone that has that certainty of opinion that runs on emotion rather than science.....
                          I will have to remember the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
                            Vlad, you are no longer interested in the Tunnel Duty Free Shop? You removed it from your facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/haleyraedanc...00000642763696

Why don't you friend my page; some of my friends (like me) would be very amused with ripping your nonsense to shreds...
                            No, Paul, my pocket stalker, I am no longer interested in the Tunnel Duty Free Shop. Do you have a problem with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
                              Vlad is not expected to know this because he has taken business courses (without getting the degree).
                              You sound really creepy the way you are stalking me. Making a claim that I did not receive a degree absent any evidence is defamatory. I suggest you cease and desist immediately. It is par for the course and what can be expected from the climate extremists. We all saw what they did in the release of the climategate emails. I don't expect that you would exhibit any different behaviour.

If you would like to make a little wager on whether I received a degree or not perhaps we could arrange something along the lines that if I never received a degree then I never post on this thread again. If you'd like we could even extend the ban to me never posting on chess talk again if I lose the wager. Similarly if I did receive at least one or more degrees then you will never again post off topic (not involving chess) on Chesstalk effectively ending your participation in this thread or any other which is not related to chess.

If you don't take that wager then you are gutless :p or else you knew all along that you were lying :o but then that is par for the course for you global warming extremists. You and your "climate scientists" and politicians involved in profiting from green technology have a long history of lying for the cause and using dirty tricks to discredit your opponents. I have to tell you that it is catching up to you. Its one reason why most people don't believe in you and don't care about your cause.

Now as to where this is coming from,... you experienced a lot of pain when you washed out and didn't finish your doctoral degree and now you are lashing out and projecting your own experience onto me. Is that what this is all about? :D

Comment

Harvard study on true costs of coal including externalities...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-c...998,b=facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X