The One and Only Climate Change thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The One and Only Climate Change thread...

Originally posted by Paul Beckwith View Post
    Step 1) Liberals cruise to victory in wide margin
    Step 2) Rescind all subsidies to fossil fuel industry; what do they need it for
    Step 3) observe wailing and gnashing of teeth
    The Nanos poll published a couple of days ago had the Cons at 44% and the Libs at 35%. I'd been expecting the Premier to step down by the end of March in favour of a leadership convention but it doesn't look like it will happen.

Regarding higher costs to the fossil fuel industry, see Alberta. The increased the royalties. Companies moved to other jurisdictions and provincial revenues dropped. They dropped the rate now to attract drilling but it takes time until the companies finish their work in the other jurisdictions. I think their Premier stepped down or is stepping down. Another political party has formed in Alberta over this. The Wild Rose Alliance.

BC also won't suffer a fool as their premier. He's had to step down over the HST.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
      I don't know, I'm partial to the following hit by the same group:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-UhykvGaD0&NR=1

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vx-t9k7epIk&NR=1

Comment

hmm...very entertaining,
        try this one...some advice for Paul. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5nNb...eature=related
        Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Saturday, 19th March, 2011, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Reminder of how expensive nuclear power is; how about $10,800 per kilowatt!
          You are endlessly amusing. There is no truth in what you write but you certainly write a lot of it. I would expect someone with a master's degree in physics would be able to at least quote the correct units of measure. $10,800 per kilowatt century, kilowatt year, kilowatt hour? How am I supposed to believe anything that you say or write when you regularly make such newbie mistakes?

Comment

You are not a doctor; how on earth did I think that. I noticed that you did not correct me; I wonder why not. You studied business at University of Windsor and your interests are Tunnel Duty Free Shop, Michigan Chess Association, Chapters Indigo Books & Music Inc. Obviously great credentials for overuling the scientific community. You are a joke...
            Your ineffectual google stalking amused me as does your perusing of my facebook profile and your need to obsessively reveal everything that you learned. It brought back memories of other days. I did correct you but my correction was too subtle for someone of your limited capabilities. The opponents that I used to deal with were much smarter and would pick up on such subtle turns of phrase. I won't make the same mistake again.

Why don't you take your dishonesty, stupidity and your global warming hysteria and preach it to those who won't contradict you in an environment where you can control the responses. That seems to be what you want. Its not going to happen on Chesstalk.

Perhaps you should read outside of your narrow band of true believers and controlled content websites. Most of your more objective compatriots will admit that Climategate effectively torpedoed the global warming agenda. People don't believe anymore. No orchestrated and biased whitewashes can change that fact whether by politicians treating the central figures with kid gloves because they feared Jones was fragile nor by colleagues who were interested in continuing the gravy train.

Anyone who actually read the emails wouldn't trust the central figures in this drama as far as they could throw them.

I joined Facebook because my job required it. I had reservations about Facebook because of past experiences with internet stalkers. I read a lot. I play chess in Michigan and Ontario. Way to go, Sherlock Holmes! Your powers of deduction are amazing. You could have got the same information by reading my posts on either of the chess discussion sites that I primarily post on or by talking to me at a chess tournament.

Comment

Last night was a full moon. Strange things happen around that time.

Actually, the moon is the closest to earth than it has been in close to 20 years. It's characterized by things like higher tides. Some think it's also a factor in earthquakes but I don't know what kind of evidence there is for that claim.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                You are endlessly amusing. There is no truth in what you write but you certainly write a lot of it. I would expect someone with a master's degree in physics would be able to at least quote the correct units of measure. $10,800 per kilowatt century, kilowatt year, kilowatt hour? How am I supposed to believe anything that you say or write when you regularly make such newbie mistakes?
                Well, now, I do believe he was quoting the capital cost of building nuclear plants, usually quoted in $ per kilowatt. This is rather different than the cost of generating it, usually quoted in $ per kilowatt hour.

No longer in the business, but his figure may indeed be correct. Nuclear has always been terribly expensive to build, but once there is the cheapest base load power, which is why Ontario will continue to refurbish it's nuclear fleet.....to a point!

I hope your chess doesn't encompass such "newbie mistakes". May be you guys ahould stick to chess.......
                Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by fred harvey View Post
                  No longer in the business, but his figure may indeed be correct. Nuclear has always been terribly expensive to build, but once there is the cheapest base load power, which is why Ontario will continue to refurbish it's nuclear fleet.....to a point!

I hope your chess doesn't encompass such "newbie mistakes". May be you guys ahould stick to chess.......

Why don't you ask him to tell you the cost of putting up solar panels and how many years at the high prices for payback?

Those reactors in Japan were privately owned and not government owned. The company was ordered to use sea water to try to cool them down, or so they said on CNN. The reluctance had to do with them never going back online after cooling them that way.

I imagine it will take months to cool down those reactors in Japan. Let's hear it for 40 year old reactors! Let's hear it for the Mark I reactor design.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    Last night was a full moon. Strange things happen around that time.

Actually, the moon is the closest to earth than it has been in close to 20 years. It's characterized by things like higher tides. Some think it's also a factor in earthquakes but I don't know what kind of evidence there is for that claim.
                    I think that there is some correlation with strange behaviour from certain individuals usually ones with underlying issues but its hard to say if this is because of real effects of the moon or simply awareness of the phases of the moon. I doubt that the forces in play are enough to cause earthquakes but would be willing to change my beliefs unless the evidence were presented by one of Chicken Little's trusted websites.

Comment

Studied business at U. of Windsor? Did you get the degree; or just study. Since you do not state your degree I guess you did not complete it.
                      Your guess would be wrong but then you should be used to that, Sherlock. Unlike you, I am not so insecure that I need to parade my degrees in front of the masses. The more information you put out there, the easier it is for people to cause mischief. I regularly offend against your false gods of climate science and my answers annoy you enough to send you feverishly googling and scouring facebook for tidbits to use against me. I haven't done the same for you because everything I need is posted here and you are of far lesser importance to me than I obviously am to you.

Comment

Well, now, I do believe he was quoting the capital cost of building nuclear plants, usually quoted in $ per kilowatt. This is rather different than the cost of generating it, usually quoted in $ per kilowatt hour.
                        It is usually expressed as KWe in that case.

No longer in the business, but his figure may indeed be correct.
                        It is not. Most recent nuclear plants have been built at a fraction of that cost even in the U.S. where endless prebuild litigation adds to the cost.

Nuclear has always been terribly expensive to build, but once there is the cheapest base load power, which is why Ontario will continue to refurbish it's nuclear fleet.....to a point!

My chess encompasses numerous newbie mistakes. That is why my rating keeps oscillating in the 2170 to 2230 band recently outside of rating glitches that bring me even lower.

Comment

It is usually expressed as KWe in that case.

It is not. Most recent nuclear plants have been built at a fraction of that cost even in the U.S. where endless prebuild litigation adds to the cost.

Well that took you a little time to google that information.....lol! I don't believe you!
                          Fred Harvey

Comment

The U.S. uses a different design than the CANDU reactors. The light water reactors used in the U.S. require enriched uranium.

The last quote for a CANDU was so high I think it's doubtful Ontario will be buying that design. We haven't seen the Cons platform as yet.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Well that took you a little time to google that information.....lol! I don't believe you!
                              You made assertions about costs of building a nuclear generating station. Why wouldn't I check those assertions? I stood up in the wedding of a friend who worked for Asea Brown Boveri almost 30 years ago. He worked on Pickering and used to be sent around the world to help build nuclear power stations. We used to have similar discussions with me taking the side that said nuclear was more expensive than most of its proponents accounted for.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                                The U.S. uses a different design than the CANDU reactors. The light water reactors used in the U.S. require enriched uranium.

The last quote for a CANDU was so high I think it's doubtful Ontario will be buying that design. We haven't seen the Cons platform as yet.
                                I saw Iggy on a news show (probably CTV since the CBC would have been less challenging) where they showed one of his attack ads. When the show hostess asked him about the previous assertion that he was going to take the high road and not resort to attack ads he came up with the assertion that his attack ads were not attack ads. When the questioning ended he got this funny look on his face like he was relieved that he hadn't dropped a load in his pants his pants. He doesn't seem comfortable on tv which is a bit surprising considering that it was his profession in the past.

It looks like we are headed for a federal election as well as a provincial one.

Comment

Working...
                                X