CFC Print magazine apparently dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CFC Print magazine apparently dead

In a post on the other chesstalk (the old one), Bob Gillanders explains that the print magazine is no longer being produced. I guess that makes it official. I haven't checked the CFC website but perhaps there is a news item there too (and I would hope the relevant pages on the website - especially membership) are being updated too.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: CFC Print magazine apparently dead

Here is Bob Gillanders' post on the old board:

" It is with regrets that I must inform the membership the printed version of Chess Canada magazine has been discontinued. For those that have been following developments at the CFC, this will not come as a surprise. Issue 2008-1 (Feb) was the last printed magazine. Issue 2008-2 due in May 2008 never made it to print.

We are working to replace the printed magazine with an online version. The printing and delivery costs became prohibitely expensive with our small membership base. Online magazines appear to be the trend, more affordable and quicker updates.

The online version is not ready yet. We will keep you posted on our progress. "

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob: here is an axample of what/how the magazine can be put on-line.Go

to http://www.mygazines.com/:)

Wilf

Comment

Who authorized the discontinuance of the magazine and when? Can we have a little transparency in the Federation?

Comment

That is definitely an interesting question. My guess would be the incoming Executive made that decision - I do not know whether they are justified in making a decision of that magnitude on their own (so to speak). If the decision was made by the outgoing Executive, I would have a similar concern.

As Ken has repeatedly asked: who makes these decisions and under what authority? We have had a number of years (decades?) where high-impact decisions (or even dithering - an 'anti-decision') resulted in some serious negative effects on the CFC. In many cases, it seems the decision is presented later in a GL as a fait accompli and everyone just shrugs and leaves it alone.

If the only communication mechanism is the GL process, this situation likely will not change and abuse is a logical possibility. As Peter Stockhausen so aptly demonstrated in another thread, it is possible for the Executive to invoke the part of the CFC constitution that makes sure that ordinary CFC members are not entitled to any sort of query or answer unless that is provided through their Governor... I haven't noticed it being very easy for a Governor to get any answers anyway! Perhaps that section has to be struck and a much more transparent process implemented?

Comment

Re: CFC Print magazine - Need Governor !

Hi Ken:

Peter Stockhausen has made it clear that ordinary members can ask questions on ChessTalk or by e-mail to the CFC office, or to the Executive, 'til they are blue in the face - no answer will be forthcoming because of the CFC Handbook By-law # 1, Section 14 :

" LIMITATION OF RIGHTS

14. No individual Member shall have any right to be heard on any matter pertaining to the affairs of the Federation, or his individual membership. Should any individual member be aggrieved by any matter arising in the conduct of the affairs of the Federation, his remedy shall be to bring the matter before his provincial organization, and if there be no Provincial Organization in the Province in which he resides, he may bring the matter to the attention of a Governor representing such Province. Any complaints or suggestions of any individual Member shall be sufficiently dealt with by the Federation Secretary, if he shall reply to such individual Member quoting this By-law. "

Therefore, I would ask you Ken, as our governor, on behalf of the CFC members who participate in ChessTalk, and are interested in your question, to please ask the following questions of the current Executive by e-mail, copy to all governors, as soon as possible:

" 1. Who authorized the discontinuance of the Chess Canada magazine, and when, and why ?

2. Has there been a formal notice to TKS that CFC is cancelling the magazine contract? "

We, as members, have to rely on finding sympathetic governors to bring forward our issues inside the establishment. We hope you will agree to do this for us. When you receive an answer, it will be sufficient to notify us through a posting on ChessTalk.

Thanks.

Bob
            Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 30th July, 2008, 11:02 AM.

Comment

You have an email response from me Bob.

Comment

Re: CFC Print magazine - Questions for the Executive

Goverrnor Ken Craft, for various reasons, has said he will not put the questions I have asked about the magazine to the Executive on our behalf, at this time. :( It is likely best that he explains his reasoning on this, if he is so inclined.

I therefore approached Governor Kerry Liles with the same request. He has already complied. :) Here is his e-mail to the Executive:

" To the Executive of the CFC:

I have received an inquiry from a CFC member in Ontario. He has the following questions and has been stymied in getting any information in any public forum and would like a response from the CFC:

1. Who authorized the discontinuance of the Chess Canada magazine and when and why?

2. Has there been a formal notice to the other party to the magazine contract (Is that TKS, Robert Hamilton, or some other party?) cancelling the magazine contract?

I would appreciate a formal reply to these legitimate questions as soon as practical.

If I have inadvertently omitted any of the Executive from this email, please forward it to them on my behalf (and please let me know who I overlooked!).

regards,

Kerry Liles

CFC Governor (Ontario)

OCA Treasurer "

Perhaps finally the members will get some expanations/details on this issue, not just notification that there will be no more print magazines. I will post the CFC Executive reply as soon as one is received.

Bob

Comment

We are working to replace the printed magazine with an online version. The online version is not ready yet. We will keep you posted on our progress. "
                  To discontinue the printed magazine without having a replacement ready is pure foolishness. And furthermore is there anyone that really believes that an online version of uncertain quality will ever replace it adequately ? How many people will actually take the time to look for and read this online version when hundreds of top quality chess web sites are available to anyone who has some time to browse the web ?

I am afraid that under the current circumstances ther will be not much left of the CFC membership twelve months from now. Who will be dumb enough to sell CFC memberships from nom on ?

Comment

If I may suggest, any attempted CFC online mag should focus exclusively on Canadiana.

Virtually any other chess subject is already being better covered all over the web! :)

Comment

CFC tournament marketing dead

I hope that the CFC will send out a letter to all the members telling them of how to access the online magazine. But maybe wait until there is an online magazine.

The CFC should also collect email addresses for all members and tournament players so that announcements of upcoming events can be send.

Perhaps members without email addresses can be sent a flyer listing upcoming events.

One of the major purposes of the magazine was to advertise events that might get rusty and casual players out to play. How will they be reached now?

Comment

Check the website for tournaments

The website advertises upcoming tournament events. I have used it regularly over the years to check for upcoming events.

I got discouraged last year when it was no longer getting updated regularly. But the situation has improved. I encourage TD's to send us a note of your tournament, and it will be up there by the following wednesday. I sometimes even chase TD's for their postings.

Comment

Re: CFC tournament marketing dead

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                          I hope that the CFC will send out a letter to all the members telling them of how to access the online magazine. But maybe wait until there is an online magazine.

The CFC should also collect email addresses for all members and tournament players so that announcements of upcoming events can be send.

Perhaps members without email addresses can be sent a flyer listing upcoming events.

One of the major purposes of the magazine was to advertise events that might get rusty and casual players out to play. How will they be reached now?
                          I have been struggling for the past 3 years to collect email addresses of all members of CCCA (Canadian Correspondence Chess Association) and still managed to get only about 50% of them. Remember that email addresses are mandatory to play correspondence chess (email or server play) events. This could be a huge task with very little chance to be successful!...

Comment

Re: Check the website for tournaments

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                            The website advertises upcoming tournament events. I have used it regularly over the years to check for upcoming events.

I got discouraged last year when it was no longer getting updated regularly. But the situation has improved. I encourage TD's to send us a note of your tournament, and it will be up there by the following wednesday. I sometimes even chase TD's for their postings.
                            The easiest and most practical idea is to provide an online calendar at the CFC website and give organizers access to it, meaning let them input their own tournaments. It will take a while to get people used to it, but once launched it should be an excellent tool; also it would not be the burden of a single person and those directly interested - organizers - will have the needed control to post events in a timely manner as they see fit!

Comment

Re: CFC tournament marketing dead

Originally posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
                              I have been struggling for the past 3 years to collect email addresses of all members of CCCA (Canadian Correspondence Chess Association) and still managed to get only about 50% of them. Remember that email addresses are mandatory to play correspondence chess (email or server play) events. This could be a huge task with very little chance to be successful!...
                              Can't you (or someone) just get them off the server? Surely you don't mean that 50% of the people in the CCCA have joined, but don't actually play via the server?

I agree though, that collecting and maintaining current email addresses will always be a problem. In any case, developing the content of an online magazine is a much bigger issue and makes the delivery problems look easy.

Maybe the CFC should ask Jean Hebert to do it for them? His e-magz is excellent and seems to be popular too (despite being in French... c'mon, you know what I mean)

Comment

Working...
                              X