Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC - Chess promotion idea!

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
    Analogy: We were at the grocery store a few days ago and saw a poster for a most extraordinary event. If I hadn't seen the poster, I would not have imagined that such an event could exist.

I didn't bother to read the small print in the poster. Instead at home I search_engined and got:

Gung Haggis Fat Choy

No, really, it is possible that people don't imagine that there could be such a thing as a place in their community where people play chess, face-to-face. To put it in 1965 language: gestalt, consciousness raising, symbiosis.

And I'll add that the personal interaction of a chess club and of chess tournaments is what is bringing the CFC back from the brink. Sure, for 2+ years the CFC has been efficiently managed, but efficiency is not everything. If it were, everybody would be playing internet chess; rated face-to-face chess would have wasted away.

History: Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I believe that, at 320 players, Vancouver 1975 is still the largest adult rated tournament ever held in Canada-west-of-Hogtown. We had a poster for that. It wasn't pretty, it was designed by a young teenager and printed in black on white paper. But it helped. Something like 80 of the players were new CFC members.

Later History: When I was Business Manager of the CFC, we'd receive in the mail, posters from tournaments around the world. Most *were* professionally done, full-colour jobbies, around 24 x 36 inches. I lent some of those posters to a club in the Outaouais and the guy said they were effective in promoting that club. He had a display... in a mall?? I don't know if the posters ever came back. I do have a few chess posters in a closet.

With regard to bringing out the public, CFC did produce "Your Passport to Chess", which unlike almost everything else we published (on an IBM Selectric and later on a daisy-wheel printer), was professionally typeset. The idea was to get it put in every chess set sold in Canada. Didn't happen, but tens of thousands were distributed. CFC P.O. Box (long since abandoned) was on every one.

I like the idea (related by Dan Scoones) of going into local bookstores and sliding a business card in every chess book. That's initiative.

I also like Bob's idea. But a full-colour professional poster is expensive.
    How about a T or Polo Shirt to be distributed to all CFC Members with the CFC Welcome Logo printed infront and the marking "Chess Federation of Canada" and below this marking www.chess.ca behind?

Or alternatively, a car sticker with the marking "Chess Federation of Canada - www.chess.ca" that I can stick behind my car?

Kind of a mobile way of promoting chess.

Thank You!

Comment

bumper sticker is an excellent idea...the front page would have to be redesigned...i don't think it's intended for the "google and stumble" crowd... at the very least there should be something about membership on the home page.

Comment

CFC Public Relations Coordinator

I and CFC Governor Gary Gladstone will be bringing a motion to introduce into the Executive a new position of " Public Relations Coordinator ". Hopefully s/he will be the one to pick up on ideas like those in this thread and run with them.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand Supsup View Post
          How about a T or Polo Shirt to be distributed to all CFC Members with the CFC Welcome Logo printed infront and the marking "Chess Federation of Canada" and below this marking www.chess.ca behind?

Or alternatively, a car sticker with the marking "Chess Federation of Canada - www.chess.ca" that I can stick behind my car?

Thank You!
          That's sounds like a great idea then our $43.00 membership would be worth something as we pay for the rating fees in our entry fees.
          Of course that would probably bankrupt the CFC.

Comment

at the risk of stating the obvious, advertising the CFC and /or www.chess.ca (a rarely updated website) is not likely to motivate newbie chess players in the same way that advertising a local, available, chess club is. It is unlikely that a newbie chess player cares about a national chess organization. An advertising campaign that does not highlight local chess activity and just has the CFC site is not likely to be a productive use of advertising efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferdinand Supsup View Post

Thank You!
              Along with the CFC bumper stickers, you could have ones that pique interest in a different way, along the lines of "Musicians Duet Better". Examples for chess:

"Chess Players Make Better Knight Moves"
              "Chess Players Mate For Life"
              "Chess Kids Love Punching The Clock"
              "Chess Kids Have X-Ray Vision"
              "Blitz Chess Players Have More Quickies"
              Only the rushing is heard...
              Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                at the risk of stating the obvious, advertising the CFC and /or www.chess.ca (a rarely updated website) is not likely to motivate newbie chess players in the same way that advertising a local, available, chess club is. It is unlikely that a newbie chess player cares about a national chess organization. An advertising campaign that does not highlight local chess activity and just has the CFC site is not likely to be a productive use of advertising efforts.
                Roger, you are correct.
                If you return to my original post,
                you will see posters would be 50% CFC content, and 50% Local chess club content.:):)

Comment

I know bob, it is the more recent people posting who are drifting off your idea....

Comment

Victoria has a flyer (that folds up into a pamphlet) that lists the various clubs, activities, and groups known to us that we distribute from time to time. It's also useful to have something to hand to walk ins at the club.

This is not a promotional idea but more of a promotion of chess events to an already existing chess population.

Comment

For a newbie chess player who is looking for a chess club/activity close to home will most likely surf the net to find information about chess. The website http://www.chess.ca (or searching the keyword chess canada) is sufficient enough to provide information about chess activities namely, chess tournament schedules and updates of results, members rating, equipment stores, news/forums and discussions to name a few. The internet has been the forefront of getting information in a fraction of the time throughout the world. I thought, we are exploring promotional ideas here to promote chess and not for people who are already involved but to raise awareness of CHESS to the general public.

Comment

What does the average player see as the major benefit of belonging to the CFC? Important question what does one get for one’s money? How should this question be answered for prospective new members?
                        A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
                          Important question what does one get for one’s money?
                          From what I hear they are getting a first rate publication.

Besides, the cost of a CFC membership is not money. It's chump change. Walking around funds. It's not like you need a wheel barrel to transport it.

Many people spill more than that at a party.

Anyone who wants to join will likely easily do so. Anyone who doesn't will always find a reason not to join. I'm not a member but I don't pretend it has anything to do with the price of membership.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

$250 got us 5000 pamphlets (prefolded even). More than we could use before they became outdated. Currently, I'm supposed to be updating it and get a new printing.
                            You can even make your job easier by doing a copy and paste of your phamphlet in chesstalk or collecting e-mail addresses to an address book then send then at once. At least you save paper and the trees. Go GREEN!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Love View Post
                              This is not a promotional idea but more of a promotion of chess events to an already existing chess population.
                              The Alberta Chess Association and the Calgary Chess Club have a pamplet that they hand out when we do community events (malls, festivals, etc.). They seem to be working quite well. I also have them available at a few libraries (we hope to have the ACA pamplet available at all libraries across the province eventually).

Green is good too, but you also need to have your info where people will find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
                                Green is good too, but you also need to have your info where people will find it.
                                With advancing electronic information displays, the standard paper may vanish. Be prepared :D

Comment

Working...
                                X