Would you change the CFC Ordinary Members' fee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Would you change the CFC Ordinary Members' fee?

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    How many new CFC members does anyone think will show up at the upcoming Canadian Open? (I suppose we really should not count people who used to be CFC members and have come back for what likely is one tournament).

The price tag for the entry fee + CFC membership would be rather hefty... I guess whatever the current tournament membership would be attractive so save a few dollars if this was a single shot deal.

At the club the other night I heard someone ask (rhetorically) why they should pay $20 a game to get hammered by someone a zillion rating points higher only to move on to pay the same to play someone around 1500? I haven't seen a clear announcement of the pairing system they intend to use (perhaps I missed that) but if it is one big section (even with accelerated pairings) it likely will result in see-saw opposition for most middle folk 1700-2000 or thereabouts.
    I just looked at the 'full flyer' for the Canadian Open and it indicates that accelerated pairings will be used "in early rounds" - I guess they are hedging for flexible options?

It seems the adult tournament membership is now $20
    *Effective May 1, 2009:
    Single tournament memberships – Adult $ 20, Junior $ 10. Provincial portion of dues are $ 4 and $ 2 respectively.

(I am guessing that the provincial fee is on top of the $20/$10 - it isn't clear)

Anyone know who will be the Tournament Director?? (if I had to guess, I would have to pick Brian Fiedler...)
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Hi Kerry:

The flyer has:

CHIEF ARBITER: Hal Bond, I.A. halbond@sympatico.ca

Also, the $ 20 and $ 10 Tournament Playing Fees include the provincial portion. CFC remits it to them after collection.

Bob
      Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Wednesday, 24th February, 2010, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        Anyone know who will be the Tournament Director?? (if I had to guess, I would have to pick Brian Fiedler...)
        CHIEF ARBITER: Hal Bond, I.A.
        ORGANIZERS: Greater Toronto Chess League, Michael Barron, Brian Fiedler.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
          I think you asked on the Ottawa board for the document written by Pugi (?) about the possible ways for the organization like the CFC. the document was copied and posted. Do you have a copy to post it here? I think it had some good points.
          Regrettably, no I don't have a copy.
          Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
          Murphy's law, by Edward A. Murphy Jr., USAF, Aerospace Engineer

Comment

I just don't get all the grumbling about membership fees. I would say $50 per year is reasonable, especially for the more active players.

Even if all we were getting for out money was the magazine, I'm sure many would agree that a monthly chess magazine is worth at least $3-$4 per issue.
            No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
              I just don't get all the grumbling about membership fees. I would say $50 per year is reasonable, especially for the more active players.

Even if all we were getting for out money was the magazine, I'm sure many would agree that a monthly chess magazine is worth at least $3-$4 per issue.
              Thank you Jordan. I was just reading another thread where it was proposed to give away the CFC newsletter for free. I sure hope those people don't run for CFC executive positions! Bankruptcy again!

Having worked at the CFC office, I can tell you that most members find the dues very reasonable. :)

Comment

I could see archiving the CCN onto the CFC website after 6 months, to allow public access at some time in the future.

Would this give both sides something - members get something unique - only they get the newsletter, not the public; but the public eventually get to read them , only they are 6 months old ( but they would still be read for the great articles ).

What do you think?

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan S. Berson View Post
                  I would say $50 per year is reasonable, especially for the more active players.

if the CFC was doing something useful with the money chesswise, it might indeed be reasonable. So what does it do with the membership money? Does it fund any of the national championships? No. Does it fund the Olympic team? No. It maintains staff who take in the memberships. Oh, it does pay it's FIDE dues, an organization that doesn't seem like such a worthy cause although it's probably unavoidable.

As to the value of the magazine, that value would be what you could sell a subscription for without being coerced to buy it in order to play. Online subscriptions don't seem to fair very well. Many people are perfectly happy to buy a hard copy of a newspaper but newspapers have failed abysmally in trying to sell online content. And I sure that those who do not have internet access or only have it at work do not attach much value to it. So, I suspect you could not sell a subscription to it at $3/issue. Even as it is, with free distribution to CFC members, many of them are not getting it.

The basic problem with the membership fee is not the amount per se, it's that nobody can answer the question of what it is for. I could live with the negative impact it has on local participation if I thought something positive was being done with the money for something I cared about.

You mention "especially for active players". Yes, and for occasional, beginning, and players in regions without much activity, it is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                    The basic problem with the membership fee is not the amount per se, it's that nobody can answer the question of what it is for.
                    Roger, I answered that question when I was ED. I see my answer is still on the website, and I am happy to see it has been updated for the newsletter. See website under memberships:

What benefits do I get as a member of the C.F.C.?
                    When you become a member of the CFC, you join a fraternity of chess players, enthusiasts, teachers, and organizers from across Canada devoted to promoting chess. The CFC represents Canada to the world as a member of FIDE, the international chess body. The CFC sends teams to the Chess Olympiad, World Youth Chess Championship, and other major international events. The CFC holds national championships (including the Canadian Open, Canadian Youth Chess Championship, Canadian Closed, Canadian Women’s Championship) to showcase Canadian talent. The CFC website keeps players informed on is what happening including tournament listings, tournament reports and news items, listings of local chess clubs, and so much more. Your membership dues support all these activities to help ensure chess prospers in Canada. As a member, you are welcomed at CFC events across Canada, including national tournaments, weekend swisses, and local club tournaments.

Other benefits of membership include:

A national CFC chess rating,
                    Subscription to the monthly Canadian Chess News, an electronic newsletter,
                    And discount prices at the CFC online store.

Maybe you don't like the answer, but the question has been answered. :)

ps. It sure would be nice if some CFC executive would come on and defend the CFC. It's not my job anymore!!
                    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Friday, 26th February, 2010, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Where are the Executive?

Hi Bob:

Good defence of CFC membership - it should be sent to all members ! And I think membership is a bargain at the price CFC charges.

And I, as a lowly governor, also sometimes feel a little lonely defending the CFC, with executives almost never on the horizon.

I have stated before, and I will again, that the executive need to monitor, on a regular basis, both this board and the Governors' Discussion Board. I got the CFC originally to bring these two boards back to life when the CFC had let them lapse for some time - admittedly the executive and a few others were lukewarm to the idea.

But I think they have shown that they serve a purpose - lots of current CFC matters are discussed by members/governors on this board now. And even the Governors' Board is now being used a bit more. And there are questions - and they are often going unanswered because so few executive come to the board. I know the executive are busy, but surely they could divide up the task, so someone from the executive is monitoring at various times.

Maybe the executive could discuss this??

Bob

Comment

Maybe a slate dedicated to communicating with the membership could contest the next Executive elections.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                          Roger, I answered that question when I was ED. I see my answer is still on the website, and I am happy to see it has been updated for the newsletter. See website under memberships:

When you become a member of the CFC, you join a fraternity of chess players, enthusiasts, teachers, and organizers from across Canada devoted to promoting chess. The CFC represents Canada to the world as a member of FIDE, the international chess body. The CFC sends teams to the Chess Olympiad, World Youth Chess Championship, and other major international events. The CFC holds national championships (including the Canadian Open, Canadian Youth Chess Championship, Canadian Closed, Canadian Women’s Championship) to showcase Canadian talent. The CFC website keeps players informed on is what happening including tournament listings, tournament reports and news items, listings of local chess clubs, and so much more. Your membership dues support all these activities to help ensure chess prospers in Canada. As a member, you are welcomed at CFC events across Canada, including national tournaments, weekend swisses, and local club tournaments.

ps. It sure would be nice if some CFC executive would come on and defend the CFC. It's not my job anymore!!

Last time I checked, the Canadian open is usually auctioned off to a group of organizers who have the time and money to organize it so no, CFC does not have anything to do with the CO other than letting someone else take care of it.
                          Along with all the other tournaments you listed, Can junior, CYCC, Cwomen's, Canadian Closed, all of those are basically organized in the same way. Organizers chooses which they want to do and if no one wants to do something (I don't think the women's championships is held every year, correct me if I'm wrong) it doesn't get done. Most of the time, the bulk of the financing dedicated to sending the guys/girls to international level is basically through the fun big entree fees that's basically the norm in these events. I don't know when the last time the CYCC or Can Junior wasn't 150/head and sometimes people even raise it due to late fees.

To be honest, I'm not a cfc member anymore and I haven't checked the cfc website but when I used to check it, it was usually out of date and if I need anything, I would go to chess.bc.ca, my old provincial website to see what's happening and even chesstalk.com, since this forum actually provides more views and better coverage of events than the actual cfc website.

Furthermore, the cfc magazine is cool and all but when I was a member, I never got a single issue of it and who buys books from the cfc store nowadays? Even with discounts, most of the prices are basically the same or higher than their competitors so ya, paying 43 a year for basically rating fees is definitely not worth it and now with the 20 tourney fee imposed since last year, I find myself not even wanting to play in most weekend swisses, and there's really not that many of them.

So, that's a nice advertisement for what the CFC is connected with, but really, they don't really do that much. It's mostly the organizers who wants to dedicate their time that really should take credit for having tournaments still ongoing. Imagine if Alberta in the past couple years didn't want to do the Canadian Open or they don't have funds to do any of the big tournaments recently, who will have known that canada actaully has norm tournaments other than their national ones?
                          Shameless self-promotion on display here
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                            So, that's a nice advertisement for what the CFC is connected with, but really, they don't really do that much. It's mostly the organizers who wants to dedicate their time that really should take credit for having tournaments still ongoing.....
                            We all agree that it's the organizers that keep Chess in Canada alive. Please don't mistake my comments as "wow, what a great job CFC is doing". I am disappointed like everyone else. :(

Just putting in my 2 cents. :D

You should visit the Mississauga club more often. No CFC membership required.:D

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                              Last time I checked, the Canadian open is usually auctioned off to a group of organizers who have the time and money to organize it so no, CFC does not have anything to do with the CO other than letting someone else take care of it.
                              Along with all the other tournaments you listed, Can junior, CYCC, Cwomen's, Canadian Closed, all of those are basically organized in the same way. Organizers chooses which they want to do and if no one wants to do something (I don't think the women's championships is held every year, correct me if I'm wrong) it doesn't get done. Most of the time, the bulk of the financing dedicated to sending the guys/girls to international level is basically through the fun big entree fees that's basically the norm in these events. I don't know when the last time the CYCC or Can Junior wasn't 150/head and sometimes people even raise it due to late fees.

To be honest, I'm not a cfc member anymore and I haven't checked the cfc website but when I used to check it, it was usually out of date and if I need anything, I would go to chess.bc.ca, my old provincial website to see what's happening and even chesstalk.com, since this forum actually provides more views and better coverage of events than the actual cfc website.

Furthermore, the cfc magazine is cool and all but when I was a member, I never got a single issue of it and who buys books from the cfc store nowadays? Even with discounts, most of the prices are basically the same or higher than their competitors so ya, paying 43 a year for basically rating fees is definitely not worth it and now with the 20 tourney fee imposed since last year, I find myself not even wanting to play in most weekend swisses, and there's really not that many of them.

So, that's a nice advertisement for what the CFC is connected with, but really, they don't really do that much. It's mostly the organizers who wants to dedicate their time that really should take credit for having tournaments still ongoing. Imagine if Alberta in the past couple years didn't want to do the Canadian Open or they don't have funds to do any of the big tournaments recently, who will have known that canada actaully has norm tournaments other than their national ones?
                              Absolutely on the money (no pun intended). Of course, it isn't that (an adult) pays $43 in Ontario "for rating fees" - the $43 is for the PRIVILEGE of being rated - at $3/event - perhaps more! Now, to be fair, some clubs pay the rating fees (presumably out of the club membership fees) so they aren't as visible out of the pocket but are an expense to the player in one way or another.

I challenge the CFC Executive to justify the CFC fee and I also challenge the OCA Executive to justify the even more useless OCA fee. The OCA *only* redistributes the money collected on their behalf by the CFC to the chess leagues around Ontario (Eastern, Northern, SWOCL and GTCL) and from where I sit provide absolutely nothing of value.
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

and I think at the time you originally posted it, I replied that that answer is inadequate. As Bindi points out, most of your 2nd paragraph does not involve cash outlay by the CFC or organizational effort by CFC staff. The rating system pays for itself [allegedly], and I belong to a chess fraternity even without the existence of the CFC.

Which leaves the CFC magazine and FIDE. The FIDE costs are only marginally larger than what the Foundation hands over, so if that is all the CFC needs money for, then why is it deemed to be in the national interest to coerce every tournament player to buy a subscription for $36 a year? (and it's not even delivered to all members!).

Back when Lavin was first running he made a statement along the lines of it being necessary to evaluate the basis of the CFC, what where the core things it had to do and what it cost to do them. As far as I know, that exercise was never done. Back in the day, when a magazine was the only was to communicate Canadian chess news that might have been a compelling reason for a forced membership model. But it's not true anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X