Arbiter Training at Canadian Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Arbiter Training at Canadian Open

Do Fide arbiters have to be of a certain rating?
    I doubt it. Hal Bond (rated 1877) and Larry Bevand (1937) are both IA's -far from GM strength.

It's similar to chess teachers. I know some great teachers who may be rated in the 1500-1600 range.

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
      Do Fide arbiters have to be of a certain rating? After all situations come up where they have to assess chess positions. Just wondering what the standard is for this.
      I don't think so. The conventional wisdom is those who can't play organize.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
        I don't think so. The conventional wisdom is those who can't play organize.
        I think the saying goes:
        Those who can, do;
        Those who can't, teach;
        Those who can't teach, go into management.

Apart from the wisdom of the saying, there is the little verbal joke of "can't, teach" in the second line, and "can't teach" in the third.

In the case of chess, or course, I doubt there is very little wisdom floating around, either in the playing, teaching, or management.

Present company excepted.

Comment

Conventional wisdom? So most of our rated players are organizers?

As regards Arbiters, we do have some IM's among us and GM Gligorich served as an Arbiter for many years, including Spraggett-Yuopov I believe. But mostly we are class players and experts. At the World Championship match in Bonn we were roughly 2100, 1900 and 1700. In Sophia my two colleagues from Bonn will take care of things - now that the players don't have private quarters only 2 Arbiters are needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
            Conventional wisdom? So most of our rated players are organizers?

As regards Arbiters, we do have some IM's among us and GM
            Ex-champion too :) M.Botvinnik was an arbiter during 1988 Soviet Union championship (1-2 Kasparov and Karpov with the dispute who is the First)

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
              Ex-champion too :) M.Botvinnik was an arbiter during 1988 Soviet Union championship (1-2 Kasparov and Karpov with the dispute who is the First)
              Well, an "ex" is a used to be. :)

Of course, I hold the correspondence title of SIM which is higher than my IM title. My mistake was waiting until I was pretty much finished organizing before starting on earning playing titles. My play is now too weak to attain the CC GM title. I've reached the second time in a players "career" when there is no pressure to perform. I've reached the age where I don't care about my results or my rating.

Not trying to win and not caring about the result are two different things.

Teaching is a bit different, I think. It's not necessary to be a very strong player to teach, although, it migh be helpful. Some of the players who have hellped me the most are those who understood aspects of the game better than I did.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I am interested in taking this course at the Canadian Open. I have one problem. I can't make the Wednesday course. I have to work and won't be able to get the day off. Is there still a way I can participate?

John Erickson
                Niagara Falls, Ontario
                TD for the Niagara Falls Open April 10th and 11th

Comment

Originally posted by John Erickson View Post
                  I am interested in taking this course at the Canadian Open. I have one problem. I can't make the Wednesday course. I have to work and won't be able to get the day off. Is there still a way I can participate?

John Erickson
                  Niagara Falls, Ontario
                  John, I'm not sure if EriK will read your post attached to mine. He gives an email address in the opening post in this thread. Possibly send him an email for the best reply.

Earning a FA or IA title is worthwhile, even if I do joke about mine. I value my correspondence chess IA title more than my playing titles. For one thing, there are fewer of those titles. :)

Gary
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Geza Maroczy, Isaac Kashdan, and Lothar Schmid come to mind, also our own Abe Yanofsky was an IA.

Comment

Originally posted by John Erickson View Post

John Erickson
                      Niagara Falls, Ontario
                      Hi John,
                      Stephen would prefer the course to be spread over 5 days and then the exam on the next day. A 14-hour day is long. But how to work around the CFC meeting and GM lectures?
                      We want to accomodate everyone and we want everyone to pass (80% on the exam) so I'm proposing an email study group in the 4 months leading up the seminar.
                      - John-Erik

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
                        We want to accomodate everyone and we want everyone to pass (80% on the exam) so I'm proposing an email study group in the 4 months leading up the seminar.
                        - John-Erik
                        That could be a good idea! Lets start those group as soon as possible.
                        :)

Comment

Working...
                        X