Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: $ 400 in 5 hours work !!

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
    I'm more unhappy with the fact that someone who has such a powerful voice in the Canadian chess community has such a delusional view of how chess should be handled in Canada.
    I wish I had a "powerful voice in canadian chess" but I am not that delusional. But I do note that you on the other hand firmly believe to be the one owning the truth about "how chess should be handled in Canada". I leave it to observers to decide whom here is the most delusional.

I wonder what would happen if there was implemented a requirement that in order to play in the Canadian championship, you must have played 100 rated games in Canada ...
    Can't you make the difference between unreasonable requirements, rules and guidelines, and reasonable ones ? Have you turned off your judgment specifically for this thread or is it your normal behaviour to kill any attemps at having normal discussions ?

Comment

• Re: Organizer Obligation to Seek Sponsors

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
      Last fall, I met with a representative from a national bank regarding sponsorship. He made the point that, for a national event, no matter how brilliant the effort put forth by the local branch of the sponsor, the majority of the participants are from out of town, and the local branch gets almost no return. If the head office of the sponsor is to participate, such campaigns are usually planned a year or more in advance, and are based on extensive survey-knowledge of the target audience.
      John, you should have got him on the phone with Jean Hebert. Jean could have informed this person that "return" is of no importance, and no survey of target audience need be done. With Jean's vast experience and God-like reputation in Canadian chess, this representative would have given you a blank check.

At least that's the way Jean sees it. He argued with David Ottosen a few months ago that sponsors do not worry about ROI (Return On Investment). David tried to educate him, but you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
        The is true, but knowing that a player is from Toronto does not tell me anything about him. Knowing that he from a postcode, I can get demographic data for that postcode, and make assumptions.

I did some stats about Ontario CFC players and posted at the CFC forum. (It is not what you want but still might be helpful somewhen)

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
          I wish I had a "powerful voice in canadian chess" but I am not that delusional. But I do note that you on the other hand firmly believe to be the one owning the truth about "how chess should be handled in Canada".
          No need for false humility. People will obviously listen when you speak given your experience and status in the chess scene in Canada. I do believe that my viewpoint is definitely the correct one however.

Can't you make the difference between unreasonable requirements, rules and guidelines, and reasonable ones ?
          Yes, and I believe adding some clause that organizers are required to make "signficant efforts" to find sponsors to fit under "unreasonable requirement". You are free to disagree, and the market (ie, the willingness of organizers to bid on events with this restriction in place) will tell us who is right.

Comment

Can't you make the difference between unreasonable requirements, rules and guidelines, and reasonable ones ? -JH

Yes, and I believe adding some clause that organizers are required to make "signficant efforts" to find sponsors to fit under "unreasonable requirement". You are free to disagree, and the market (ie, the willingness of organizers to bid on events with this restriction in place) will tell us who is right.
            It can hardly be called "unreasonable" since it is purely symbolic: only unmeasurable "efforts" are asked and no result is demanded. What it might do is simply to modestly raise organizers awareness that if they bid for a national event, they are expected to meet the challenge honourably and not just put up a playing site with tables and chairs. If this is unreasonable for you...

Comment

It can hardly be called "unreasonable" since it is purely symbolic: only unmeasurable "efforts" are asked and no result is demanded. What it might do is simply to modestly raise organizers awareness that if they bid for a national event, they are expected to meet the challenge honourably and not just put up a playing site with tables and chairs. If this is unreasonable for you...
              I find the wording rather vague too, but I understand their intent. It is often quite difficult to translate intentions into clear language (in any language). Measuring how much effort an organizer (or organization) puts into 'attempting' to acquire sponsorship seems very hard. It is easy to spot complete failure and complete success, but various values between those two extremes are very subjectively measured. What one person might consider 'reasonable effort' might well be considered merely providing lip service to the issue. I have not been able to think of a way to word their motion to make it clear and measurable.

Obviously, getting sponsorship for chess events (especially in the current economic climate) is hard. Several events have shown that it is not impossible.

Note that different classes of events may have very different sponsorship requirements: for example, top-class events might include appearance fees and complimentary lodging/airfare etc for invited GMs; at the local level, it is quite a different story.
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Ok, let's restate then - it's silly to make a motion like this with no actual requirement to do anything, that will only lead to subjective complaining after the fact from people who believe that "significant" efforts were not actually undertaken. I would feel the same about a motion that required participants in the Canadian closed to "make significant efforts" to support chess tournaments in Canada. If you want to put something in the rules, make it clear what is expected so that all parties involved can understand what they are expected to do.

Vague motions with unclear goals and objectives are among the reasons the CFC is doing poorly; is the CFC handbook not full of enough chaff already that more unclear stuff needs to be added?

I recall a project (actually multiple projects) proposed during my time on the ACA board that sounded kinda cool, was interesting, and was chess related; however, the actual return for it was debatable at best, full of a lot of speculation such as "it will be good for chess". These are the kinds of thoughts the CFC and other canadian organizations need to get out of their heads - projects should have a clear return because there are simply not enough resources to just do whatever and hope it somehow works out for the best.

A well run organization has to have a clear vision that is realistic - the CFC has neither a clear vision nor a realistic view of what they can actually accomplish.

Comment

Ok, let's restate then - it's silly to make a motion like this with no actual requirement to do anything
                  At first, Bob cited only a part of his motions. The whole text is at http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?t=799
                  The second, they are only motions (and not yet official). They might be amended, defeated, etc.

A well run organization has to have a clear vision that is realistic - the CFC has neither a clear vision nor a realistic view of what they can actually accomplish.
                  Do you have any thoughts what should be? (and at the end: Who will implement?)

Comment

Ok, let's restate then - it's silly to make a motion like this with no actual requirement to do anything, that will only lead to subjective complaining after the fact from people who believe that "significant" efforts were not actually undertaken.
                    I asked for a definition of "significant efforts" from Bob, who is a seconder, I think, of the motion and understood the reply to be the proposed efforts would be put in the bid.

In any case, I wouldn't try to get sponsorship for CFC championships and Olympics on an event by event basis done by the tournament organizers each year. I like a more professional approach.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                      Do you have any thoughts what should be? (and at the end: Who will implement?)
                      Yes I believe I've stated clearly where I think the CFC should focus their resources. IF I were inclined to take on this job (which I am not), I would be campaigning on this platform (caveat: I am not up to date on CFC finances or obligations and some of this might not be realistic):

Vision: To build the CFC membership by supporting local clubs and tournaments

Action plan:
                      a) Reduce the cost of playing:

1) Drop the rating fee in half, and outsource the rating function. This is a data entry job that requires little skill other than precision and should not be the job of an executive or manager. It's not 100% clear to me what the staffing situation is at the CFC but it should be nearly nothing.
                      2) Reduce CFC membership fee to something like $10. $20 maximum. I believe from my time as an organizer that it was a huge roadblock to new players when they showed up for a tourney and I told them $36 to join the CFC, $20 for the tourney, and yeah, you are pretty much likely gonna get $0 back while a bunch of experienced players get the prizes.

b) Focus resources and reward organizers:

1) Make a percentage of every membership payable to the organizer who submits it. This gives organizers a direct incentive to look for new members, and to retain existing members.
                      2) Drop all junior, women, and Olympiad program funding/organizational resources. If there are organizers who wish to run these events, wonderful. They provide no long term benefit to the CFC in terms of membership.
                      3) Require players to pay all FIDE fees for their ratings. FIDE ratings are a luxury for the majority of players (for example, I have one. I don't need one. If the CFC has spent a dollar on mine in history, it is money that is wasted). If you are a professional player that needs one (or needs a title), it should be no different than an engineer who has to pay the fees for his professional memberships.

c) Emphasize local results:

1) Re-design the newsletter/magazine to essentially be a compilation of provincial magazines. There would be no coverage of world chess. I believe that seeing their names in the "National magazine" is a huge motivator for people to come and keep playing. Seeing Joe Blow won the U1400 and realizing every serious player in Canada sees that means a lot to him.
                      2) Simplify the web site heavily to simply be contact information for clubs, tournament announcements, required rules/forms, and ratings. The CFC website should be like wikipedia - a place you go for information. It should not try to be like Yahoo where you visit every day, and should not take up very much resources. My ideal site would be the main banner, then 6 large font links:
                      Chess Clubs, Tournaments, Ratings, Resources, FAQ, About Us. Not sure about the discussion board.
                      3) Return the Canadian closed to a round robin format featuring each provincial champion and a small number of players invited by rating. This will re-emphasize the importance of the provincial championships, and create more interest in the closed at the local level.

My belief is that chess will not grow in Canada from miraculously developing one Magnus Carlsen. It will grow from developing 10,000 Bob Smiths.

I recognize some of these things might be against CFC constitution, or would have no chance of passing governors, or whatever, but that is how I think the CFC has to move forward - become lean, realize what it can and can't do, and realize what is stopping their customers from coming back. Right now, I believe it's the cost of the game, a feeling like the CFC only cares about juniors/titled players, and that the local clubs/remote provinces feel no connection to the CFC.

Comment

• 100 Players for an ACTIVE is very ambitious - GOOD LUCK! Re: $ 400 in 5 hours work !!

http://webhome.idirect.com/~mdutton/DECACT32.htm

That link above is the last ACTIVE tournament I directed in 2002 at the Dutton Chess Club on Bayview.

From 1999 to 2002, we ran 32 CFC-rated ACTIVE tournaments.

50 players was a good turnout. 30 was about average.

As for large active events... how about the Canadian Active Championship that used to be held each year at the Estonian Chess club on Broadview in Toronto?

100+ players in 5 sections was the norm for the Estonian Active events.

Other than those events, as a Tournament Director and Organizer, I found that many players in Canada don't even have an ACTIVE rating and/or only have a provisional rating.

You can check crosstables at the Chess Federation of Canada prior to 2002 for better attendance at Active tournaments.

ON Crosstable List

Use ACTIVE from drop down menu

http://chess.ca/crosstables.shtml

Parry Sound vs North Bay

12/27/2001

A

DCC Christmas Active U1600

12/22/2001

A

DCC Christmas Active Open

12/22/2001

A

RA Club Active Championship

12/20/2001

A

Burlington Active at End of 2001

12/19/2001

A

ICC December Active

12/16/2001

A

London December Junior Active

12/15/2001

A

Kingston Fall Active Group 2

12/10/2001

A

Scarborough December Active

12/10/2001

A

Kingston Fall Active Group 1

12/10/2001

A

Kingston Fall Active Group 3

12/10/2001

A

Chess for Charity Active

12/2/2001

A

DCC Saturday Active 19 U2000

11/24/2001

A

DCC Saturday Active 19 U1600

11/24/2001

A

DCC Saturday Active 19 Open

11/24/2001

A

1st Polonia Active Championship

11/24/2001

A

ICC November Active

11/18/2001

A

Scarborough November Active

11/18/2001

A

DCC Halloween Active 18

10/27/2001

A

Ottawa Halloween Active

10/27/2001

A

ICC October Active

10/21/2001

A

London October Junior Active

10/20/2001

A

September 2001 Active

10/14/2001

A

London Junior Active

9/27/2001

A

KWCC September Active

9/25/2001

A

DCC Saturday Active 17 U2000

9/22/2001

A

DCC Saturday Active 17 Open

9/22/2001

A

Brantford CC Summer End Active

9/20/2001

A

September ICC Active

9/16/2001

A

Polonia Chess Club September Active

9/16/2001

A

Hamilton CCC End of Summer Active

9/14/2001

A

Lesiege Spraggett Active Fundraiser

9/9/2001

A

KW Fall Active U1600

9/8/2001

A

KW Fall Active Open

9/8/2001

A

Parry Sound Public Library RR

9/8/2001

A

RA Intro Active

9/6/2001

A

Greenstone Summer Active

9/1/2001

A

ICC August Active

8/31/2001

A

DCC Summer Active 16

8/25/2001

A

Summerfest Active

8/19/2001

A

Concordia Club Active

8/9/2001

A

St Catharines CC Active Champs

8/2/2001

A

Scarborough Tues Summer 2

7/31/2001

A

July Sizzler U1600

7/28/2001

A

July Sizzler Active

7/28/2001

A

Scarborough CC Tues Summer Active 1

7/17/2001

A

ICC CFC July Active

7/15/2001

A

Scarborough June Bug Active

6/23/2001

A

ICC June Active 2001

6/20/2001

A

Polish constitution of May 3rd

6/5/2001

A

Junior June Active

6/2/2001

A

DCC Sat Active 14

6/2/2001

A

MidScar Double RR1 Active

5/26/2001

A

Scarborough Mayflower Active

5/26/2001

A

ICC May 20th Active

5/20/2001

A

Junior May Active

5/19/2001

A

ONeil Pisanski Match

5/15/2001

A

Blenheim CYCC Qualifier

5/15/2001

A

Chatham May Kent Junior

5/15/2001

A

Addley Pisanski Match

5/15/2001

A

Fryer ONeil Match

5/15/2001

A

Addley Beacock Match

5/15/2001

A

Last chance before the Ontario Open

5/12/2001

A

DCC Saturday May Day Active U2000

5/5/2001

A

DCC Saturday May Day Active Open

5/5/2001

A

Hamilton Out of Hibernation Active

5/4/2001

A

Xth An Polonia Juniors U13 Active

5/1/2001

A

Scarborough April Showers Active

4/28/2001

A

Langill May Active

4/15/2001

A

April 15 2001 ICC CFC

4/15/2001

A

Xth An Polonia Juniors U20 Active

4/7/2001

A

April 1 Den Otter Active

4/1/2001

A

March 31st Junior Active

3/31/2001

A

DCC Spring Active U2000

3/24/2001

A

DCC Spring Active U1600

3/24/2001

A

DCC Spring Active Open

3/24/2001

A

ICC March 18th Active

3/18/2001

A

Al Den Otter Feb Double Active

3/18/2001

A

Scarborough Shamrock Active

3/17/2001

A

March Break Junior Active

3/16/2001

A

Polonia CC March Active

3/14/2001

A

2001 Niagara Falls Open Active

3/10/2001

A

Hamilton City Winter Active

3/2/2001

A

Burlington Chess Club Winter Active

2/28/2001

A

DCC February Active U1600

2/24/2001

A

DCC February Active Open

2/24/2001

A

ICC Feb 18th Active

2/18/2001

A

Scarborough Groundhog Active

2/17/2001

A

Polonia Chess Club February Active

2/14/2001

A

Al Den Otters Active Jan Swiss

1/28/2001

A

Windsor January Junior Active

1/20/2001

A

Scarborough Winter Active

1/20/2001

A

Bachynsky vs Boyes Active

1/20/2001

A

Polonia Chess Club Jan Active

1/17/2001

A

Mid Scarborough CC Double RR Active

1/13/2001

A

DCC New Year Saturday Active Open

1/6/2001

A

DCC New Year Saturday Active U2000

1/6/2001

A

DCC New Year Saturday Active U1600

1/6/2001

A

Mad Man Active Chess Champ

1/4/2001

A

KW December Active

1/2/2001

A

Snowflake Cup Active Championship

1/1/2001

A

Kids Family Christmas Active

12/23/2000

A

DCC Saturday Active 9 U1600

12/23/2000

A

DCC Saturday Active 9 Open

12/23/2000

A

RA Active Club Championship

12/21/2000

A

Poplawski vs Pisanski Active

12/17/2000

A

Addley vs ONeil Active

12/17/2000

A

Chatham Kent December Junior Active

12/13/2000

A

Windsor December Active B

12/9/2000

A

Windsor December Active A

12/9/2000

A

Polonia Chess Club November Active

11/15/2000

A

Comment

• 100 PLAYERS is very tough for any organizer to get - Re: $ 400 in 5 hours work !!

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                          Prize fund is 2000 with min 100 players paying a 50$ fee (5000 total collected). 2000/5000 = 40% return to the prize fund

I wish organizers to succeed, as to attract 100 CFC players might be very difficult.
                          You are so right Egidijus! All the very best of luck to the organizers of this event.

2000-2002 Saturday ACTIVE Series
                          at the DUTTON CHESS CLUB ON BAYVIEW

1681 Bayview Ave – 2nd floor
                          (2 blocks south of Eglinton – above Chess’n Math store)

1. August 14, 1999 - The 1999 "First Saturday ACTIVE" - 35 PLAYERS
                          2. September 25, 1999 - Saturday Active Series #2 - 22 PLAYERS
                          3. October 23, 1999 - Saturday Active Series #3 - 30 PLAYERS
                          4. January 8, 2000 - Ser #4 "New Millennium ACTIVE" - 36 PLAYERS
                          5. AUGUST 26, 2000 - 5TH (Summer Active) - 39 PLAYERS
                          6. SEPTEMBER 23, 2000 - 6TH (Fall Active) - 38 PLAYERS
                          7. OCTOBER 21, 2000 - 7TH (Hallowe’en Active) - 34 PLAYERS
                          8. NOVEMBER 25, 2000 - 8TH (November Active) - 34 PLAYERS
                          9. DECEMBER 23, 2000 - 9TH (Christmas Active) - 36 PLAYERS
                          10. JANUARY 6, 2001 - 10TH (New Year's Active) - 39 PLAYERS
                          11. FEBRUARY 24, 2001 - 11TH (February Active) - 32 PLAYERS
                          12. MARCH 24, 2001 - 12TH (Spring Active) - 39 PLAYERS
                          13. MAY 5, 2001 - 13TH (May Day Active) - 25 PLAYERS
                          14. JUNE 2, 2001 - 14TH (June Active) - 18 PLAYERS
                          15. JULY 28, 2001 - 15TH (July Sizzler Active) - 41 PLAYERS
                          16. AUGUST 25, 2001 - 16TH (Summer Active) - 40 PLAYERS
                          17. September 22, 2001 - 17TH - (Fall Active) - 43 PLAYERS
                          18. October 27, 2001 - 18TH - (Hallowe'en Active) - 34 PLAYERS
                          19. November 24, 2001 -19TH - (November Active) - 45 PLAYERS
                          20. December 22, 2001 - 20TH - (Christmas Active) - 40 PLAYERS
                          21. January 5, 2002 - "Series #21 - New Year's Open" - 55 PLAYERS
                          22. February 2, 2002 - "Series #22 - February Open" - 40 PLAYERS
                          23. March 2, 2002 - "Series #23 - March Active Open" - 33 PLAYERS
                          24. April 6, 2002 - "Series #24 - Spring Active Open" - 22 PLAYERS
                          25. May 4, 2002 - "Series #25– May Day Active Open" - 38 PLAYERS
                          26. June 1, 2002 - "Series #26 – June Active Open" - 24 PLAYERS
                          27. July 6 - "Series #27 – Summer Sizzler Active Open" - 34 PLAYERS
                          28. August 17 - "Series #28 – August Active Open" - 32 PLAYERS
                          29. September 28 - "Series #29 – Fall Active Open" - 23 PLAYERS
                          30. October 26 - "Series #30 – Hallowe'en Open" - 32 PLAYERS
                          31. November 23 - "Series #31 - November Open" - 31 PLAYERS
                          32. December 21 - "Series #32 - December Open" - 53 PLAYERS

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                            Kerry, I promise I wasn't attempting to bait you in any way. After your apology, I have great respect for you. Please attempt to have at least some respect for me. I'm not out to destroy Jean Hebert, that is really absurd. I just don't agree with his arrogant Father-Knows-Best attitude. Are you blind to his arrogance? If he could change his arrogance and be really open to ideas and dialog, I'd be really impressed. But look even at how he treats David Ottosen (whom I should state I do not know and don't communicate with). Pure arrogance and demeaning attitudes. Even the usually gracious Bob Gillanders is losing patience.

Kerry, I did not say a newsletter was of no value to chess in Canada. Of course it is of value, but only to those already playing chess. What I wrote or at least meant was that it doesn't contribute to the growth of chess in Canada. Unless there's something more in it than mere analysis of chess games.

When it comes to growth of chess in Canada, Jean's newsletter is a non-factor, that is what I was saying, and it is simply my opinion. I'm not saying his newsletter is a bad thing or has no value.

You also say in so many words that the CFC has been a non-factor for this growth. But let's forget about the CFC for a moment and focus on Jean's criticisms of organizers. Do you agree with these criticisms? Do you agree that organizers, and specifically those outside of Quebec, are either not seeking sponsorship at all or are not seeking it aggressively enough?

Again, this isn't any kind of baiting. Jean has made accusations, very general ones, and we that care about chess in Canada need to come to some kind of conclusion as to the truth of them.
                            Ok, I see your points I think. I think Jean's criticism of some organizers (even his original criticism of Hal Bond's efforts) have merit since they were applicable to very high-level events. I think that Jean primarily focuses his interest on those events, not weekend swiss tournaments or the like. I believe that if you offer a well organized, high quality event for high level players, that event will succeed based on the skill of the organizers and the time they have to plan and execute... If the planning or the time is at all short, the event will suffer (and in extreme cases like the event that started much of the nasty exchanges) should likely NOT be held at all.

I think most organizers are not seeking sponsorship (I almost want to say "...at all" but that is a little harsh and perhaps too far off the mark). Gordon Ritchie and the Canadian Open Committee come to mind as exception as did the PWC event recently in Toronto... It *can* be done, but isn't being done. The CFC isn't doing it (in my view the CFC is dysfunctional and needs to be disbanded and replaced by a benevolent dictatorship - we just have to find the proper benevolent dictator. I very much like some of the suggestions David Ottosen elsewhere today in this thread -although some are hard pills to swallow.

I will leave it at that; Jean has valid points and so does almost everyone else, but no-one has all the answers. Nasty dialogue is worse than NO dialogue. I do not want to pit one group against another and create even more fractions of effort.

I think the CFC has to regroup to concentrate on growth of chess in clubs and associations and at the same time provide support for the "elite" players that we have or we can grow - as far as FIDE support, opportunity for Norms and a few top-class events that Canadian players would be proud to enter. I don't mind some of my CFC membership money being used for the latter purpose - provided that it is properly managed and proportioned (neither at the moment in my opinion).
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Vision: To build the CFC membership by supporting local clubs and tournaments

Action plan:
                              a) Reduce the cost of playing:
                              This is good if you want to attract low income or jobless people but bad if you want to attract people with money to spend on their pastime, people with money to pay for private tuition for their kids, and finally people with connections to help organizers find sponsors. On the other hand, the bigger part of the costs of playing are unrelated to the CFC, namely travel expenses, food and accomodations. The CFC only has control over its membership fee. Whatever its level it should simply match the quality and quantity of its services, including national programs for its elite.

1) Drop the rating fee in half, and outsource the rating function.
                              Agreed. But it is not likely to reduce the playing costs by much or solve the CFCs financial problems.
                              2) Reduce CFC membership fee to something like $10. $20 maximum. I believe from my time as an organizer that it was a huge roadblock to new players when they showed up for a tourney and I told them $36 to join the CFC, $20 for the tourney, and yeah, you are pretty much likely gonna get $0 back while a bunch of experienced players get the prizes.
                              Since that there are usually only a few new players at a time, why don't organizers waive the entry fee for first timers instead of waiting for the CFC to solve their "problem" ?
                              b) Focus resources and reward organizers:

1) Make a percentage of every membership payable to the organizer who submits it. This gives organizers a direct incentive to look for new members, and to retain existing members.
                              This has been done for years in Quebec with no perceptible results for an obvious reason. By definition chess organizers are volunteers and do not expect financial rewards for their involvement. A few bucks apiece make no difference.
                              2) Drop all junior, women, and Olympiad program funding/organizational resources. If there are organizers who wish to run these events, wonderful. They provide no long term benefit to the CFC in terms of membership.
                              This is probably the most idiotic proposal I have seen in my lifetime, especially considering that the CFC is already devoting very little to these vital programs. Imagine a national sporting federation having no interest in its elite and no interest in its youth (and its future). Of course they provide benefits (short and long term) for the membership. We need many more strong players to give simuls, to teach, to coach and to write about the game to promote it, not less. Exploits of sportsmen does have an effect on memberships.

3) Require players to pay all FIDE fees for their ratings.
                              Again, such a "creative" proposal in order for the CFC to save peanuts on the back of an already largely abandoned elite. No chess federation in the World has ever to my knowledge thought of a thing like that. Again, we need more strong players to promote the game, not less.

c) Emphasize local results:

1) Re-design the newsletter/magazine to essentially be a compilation of provincial magazines. There would be no coverage of world chess. I believe that seeing their names in the "National magazine" is a huge motivator for people to come and keep playing.
                              Local magazines with local content should be made at the local level. When you provide a national magazine (like the CFC) your goal is to reach the greatest number of people possible, not just a couple of Joe Blow happy to see their own names in print.
                              My belief is that chess will not grow in Canada from miraculously developing one Magnus Carlsen. It will grow from developing 10,000 Bob Smiths.
                              In a few months one Bobby Fischer has manufactured millions of Bob Smiths, almost by miracle. The masses are very much influenced by the stars. Imagine golf without Tiger Woods despite his faults...
                              But of course the Fischers ans Carlsen cannot be planned and manufactured. However most other GMs, IMs and masters are made, not born. We need those dedicated people to promote the game.

I recognize some of these things might be against CFC constitution
                              , or would have no chance of passing governors, or whatever, but that is how I think the CFC has to move forward - become lean, realize what it can and can't do, and realize what is stopping their customers from coming back.
                              The CFC it seems to me has become quite lean recently even touching the bone. When you don't communicate with your customers for more than a year, you have become very lean... Apart from the fact that the game of chess is quite tough, especially for newcomers, the bulk of the reasons why people don't come back lays at the local and club level, not at the CFC level. Seeing how most clubs and organizers operate is depressing, especially for newcomers who have other pastimes to compare with. One example being the way most weekenders simply die out on Sunday nights, with people leaving one by one without even a closing ceremony to leave them a sweet taste in their mouth.

Right now, I believe it's the cost of the game, a feeling like the CFC only cares about juniors/titled players, and that the local clubs/remote provinces feel no connection to the CFC.
                              The accountant's view is good to balance a budget but quite useless to build a vision on how to promote chess. Simply reducing membership fees is not going to do much. We rather need to offer more for the player's money and build a real chess life, not just offer mere survival.
                              Last edited by Jean Hébert; Tuesday, 30th March, 2010, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                                I am not sure of the extent to which organizers outside of Quebec make significant effort to find sponsors.

But GM Mark Bluvshtein has brought a motion, seconded by me, to strengthen the national standards for major tournaments in Canada. One of the amendments he has proposed to Section 8 of the Handbook, dealing with the Canadian Closed , is:

" Section 811 ( b ) The organizers shall provide a prize fund; part of this obligation shall be to make a significant effort to find sponsors; .............

( d ) Bidders for the Canadian Championships shall take into account in their bids this section 811 of section 8 of the Handbook, and if they intend to exempt themselves from any of the conditions herein, they shall clearly note such in their bids, so the CFC can determine whether such bids will be accepted. "

Mark hopes that his will make clear that organizers have an obligation to at least try to find sponsors, and that they risk non-acceptance of their bid should they try to exempt themselves from this condition of bidding.

Bob
                                Hi Bob,

I responded to this on the CFC Forum, hoping it'll generate more feedback from governors. Also this thread is getting hard to follow with so many different subtopics, I felt like it could be a topic of its own.

http://www.chesscanada.info/forum/showthread.php?t=869

Alex F.

Comment

Working...
                                X