Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Organizer Obligation to Seek Sponsors

Hi Alex:

Good idea to start the thread on the members' CFC Chess Forum. I've answered you there.

Bob

Comment

• Re: $ 400 in 5 hours work !!

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
      Imagine a national sporting federation having no interest in its elite and no interest in its youth (and its future). Of course they provide benefits (short and long term) for the membership. We need many more strong players to give simuls, to teach, to coach and to write about the game to promote it, not less. Exploits of sportsmen does have an effect on memberships.
      This is where we disagree. What has been the impact on CFC membership in the last 15 years of CYCC/CMA? Nothing that I can see. What has been the impact of Spraggett reaching the candidates, Bluvshtein beating Shirov, Pascal beating Anand, or (if we want to take credit for it) Nakamura challenging to enter the world top 10? Nothing that I can see (not to take away anything from those accomplishments of course).

Again, such a "creative" proposal in order for the CFC to save peanuts on the back of an already largely abandoned elite.
      Take care of the peanuts, and the elephant may have a chance to live. There isn't one magic bullet that is going to save the CFC - it has to be a combination of many small items. The "elite" in Canada are simply the best of a fairly average group of players (on the world scale). If every GM/IM in Canada gave up the game tomorrow, the current group of 2300s would now be "the elite", and there would be little change in my eyes to the fabric of chess in Canada.

Local magazines with local content should be made at the local level. When you provide a national magazine (like the CFC) your goal is to reach the greatest number of people possible, not just a couple of Joe Blow happy to see their own names in print.
      The goal of the national magazine should be to benefit the readers and help grow the game. It needs to be a promotional tool and give up pretensions of being a chess magazine.

In a few months one Bobby Fischer has manufactured millions of Bob Smiths, almost by miracle. The masses are very much influenced by the stars.
      Sigh, again with Fischer. This is a once in a lifetime phenomenon with factors way beyond just him being a great chess player (cold war, his weird eccentricities, greater chess culture in the USA) that cannot be counted on to ever repeat even if we somehow develop a world class player, which is a long enough shot to begin with. The counter example I always like to give to Fischer is Jonathan Power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Power

Clearly an all time great at the game of squash including being world #1, as well as (according to that site) a relatively colorful character. Did he somehow spark a massive explosion of interest in squash in Canada? No - it's a niche sport, just like chess is a niche game.

We rather need to offer more for the player's money and build a real chess life, not just offer mere survival.
      Well, at least we agree on this. My argument is that everything you are suggesting has been tried by the CFC and the results have been a failure.

Comment

Thnx David for your post on a vision.
        Seems that the last posts were more healthy and contributed more than other 150 posts on this thread :)

Later I'll start a new thread and give my thoughts.

Comment

David, I think it's possible to have a large membership of average chess players and support the elite players.

I built up a large membership in the correspondence club and we still maintained an active international program.

I do agree with your idea of putting games from the lower rated players in the publication. I did that the years I was the editor and publisher of the CC publication. Players like to see their games.
          Gary Ruben
          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post

This is where we disagree. What has been the impact on CFC membership in the last 15 years of CYCC/CMA? Nothing that I can see. What has been the impact of Spraggett reaching the candidates, Bluvshtein beating Shirov, Pascal beating Anand, or (if we want to take credit for it) Nakamura challenging to enter the world top 10? Nothing that I can see (not to take away anything from those accomplishments of course).

It is obviously difficult to quantify the effect of these events because many other factors at in play. However it should be obvious to most people that these accomplishments are worth pursuing and supporting for themselves even if they would have zero effect on the membership of a particular federation or club. If the CFC, provincial affiliates, clubs and individuals get no pride from one of their players successes and cant figure why they should support it, then the people involved are simply in the wrong business, which I suspect may be your case.

The Fischer case is not likely to happen again in our lifetime, granted. However everytime some other "champion" gets through the general media, it is undoubtedly positive to promote the game and foster people awareness about chess. This is what may push individuals to knock at the door of chess clubs. But to benefit from that our organizers and clubs must get their act together to present chess in an appealing way and work towards presenting people the whole chess experience, not just the glamourless part.

The "elite" in Canada are simply the best of a fairly average group of players (on the world scale). If every GM/IM in Canada gave up the game tomorrow, the current group of 2300s would now be "the elite", and there would be little change in my eyes to the fabric of chess in Canada.
            I am sorry to learn that your eyesight is not too good. What you describe would simply mean a much lower quality of fabric. And surely you know the disadvantages of low quality fabrics ? Less durable, less resilient, less appealing (bright colours fade easily), and more difficult to wash. Our canadian chess fabric is already of low quality, it should be improved not worsen by people who can't see the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
              However it should be obvious to most people that these accomplishments are worth pursuing and supporting for themselves even if they would have zero effect on the membership of a particular federation or club.
              In a vaccuum, perhaps. In the situation the CFC currently finds itself (terrible financials, dropping membership, minimal resources), there is not the luxury to do things that do not directly improve the bottom line. The CFC strategy should be based on building ground up, not trickle down. Trickle down has failed.

However everytime some other "champion" gets through the general media, it is undoubtedly positive to promote the game and foster people awareness about chess. This is what may push individuals to knock at the door of chess clubs.
              Even assuming that this is true (which you and I clearly disagree on, so I won't rehash), the problem is the local chess clubs are dying.

But to benefit from that our organizers and clubs must get their act together to present chess in an appealing way and work towards presenting people the whole chess experience, not just the glamourless part.
              Agree, and the CFC needs to focus on this, rather than anything else. Organizing the Olympiad team or the Canadian Closed and interacting with GMs etc is the "glamour" part of organizing. Running the club September swiss where the #1 player is rated 1938 is not. The CFC as currently structured gives the local organizer zero reason or interest in doing that, other than love of the game, which can only sustain for so long.

Our canadian chess fabric is already of low quality, it should be improved not worsen by people who can't see the difference.
              To stretch this metaphor to the breaking point, having one or two golden threads in the fabric isn't going to change the fact that it's poorly woven and of low quality, with holes everywhere. Until the underlying structure is solid, there's no way that high level goals with uncertain return can succeed.

Comment

In a vaccuum, perhaps. In the situation the CFC currently finds itself (terrible financials, dropping membership, minimal resources), there is not the luxury to do things that do not directly improve the bottom line. The CFC strategy should be based on building ground up, not trickle down. Trickle down has failed.
                What terrible financials? The foundation, where so much money has gone over the years, had over $200,000.00 last time I saw the figures at the CFC site.

Crying poor and being poor are two different things.
                Gary Ruben
                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

The CFC strategy should be based on building ground up, not trickle down. Trickle down has failed.
                  Do not let reality or facts ruin your theory. The CFC has never tried to build from the top or use a significant part of its resources for that purpose. Never.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    What terrible financials? The foundation, where so much money has gone over the years, had over $200,000.00 last time I saw the figures at the CFC site.

Crying poor and being poor are two different things.
                    Gary,
                    To make such statements you clearly have not understood the CFC financial crisis of the past decade. :(

If you are suggesting we should have kept spending until all the Foundation money was gone also, thankfully most governors disagree with you!:)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                      Gary,
                      To make such statements you clearly have not understood the CFC financial crisis of the past decade. :(

If you are suggesting we should have kept spending until all the Foundation money was gone also, thankfully most governors disagree with you!:)
                      I seem to recall years when the CFC was making donations to the Foundation. Also, where has the money from the condo gone? The foundation didn't pay for that Condo as far as I know.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Hi Gary:

The condo money is safely being held by the Chess Foundation of Canada, for the CFC, and is invested. CFC has indicated it will not use the funds for ongoing general operations. But Maurice Smith recently indicated that it might be used for one-time capital expenditures, such as a new CFC Website.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                          Hi Gary:

The condo money is safely being held by the Chess Foundation of Canada, for the CFC, and is invested. CFC has indicated it will not use the funds for ongoing general operations. But Maurice Smith recently indicated that it might be used for one-time capital expenditures, such as a new CFC Website.

Bob
                          I *really* hope the CFC doesn't spend a lot of money on a new website... Not sure what "a lot" means actually, but I think anything more than a couple of thousand dollars would likely make me lose what little mind I have left. It all depends on the objectives of the new website - and that is information I do not know. The CFC needs to simplify its operation and streamline the office functionality (including the website and back office processing). Surely that can be done without blowing all the money from the sale of the office??
                          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                            Hi Gary:

Bob
                            Hi Bob,

Why would the money not be safely held if the CFC was holding it and using some of the money for the upcoming Olympics or for chess?
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                              Hi Bob,

Why would the money not be safely held if the CFC was holding it and using some of the money for the upcoming Olympics or for chess?
                              What will it do the next year when money are gone? (maybe after 3-4 years)
                              As "for chess" - I think there are no real and clear plan yet. Have you one?

Comment

Several times on this board the question - "What should be done for chess with 20k/y" (sic) - was asked. I think the final answer was - let's do nothing as these money would be wasted :D

Comment

Working...
                                X