Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: $ 400 in 5 hours work !!

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    Maybe. But only after a lot of time and perhaps bad communication and loss of goodwill. Jean has a good point (in general; I am not certain about this particular tournament since the details are far from clear).
    There was a better advice from Jean "It should mean back to the drawing board and fast", as with a such loose condition "If not enough seats are reserved, the event will be rescheduled to an alternate day in May to allow sufficient time to promote this amazing one-day event" - many will restrain. Thus there is still time and advices to succeed with "this amazing one-day event" ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
      More than 50,000 Canadians registered at chess.com
      Try to bring them to OTB chess :D gl

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
        We should wish only the good organizers to succeed. Those trying silly formulas doomed to failure actually hurt the game of chess and should be censured before they can do more damage. In this particular case looking at those above figures, we are dealing with someone with little interest in the game itself but a big interest in making a profit. To achieve this goal he is ready to ask for outrageous entry fees, reschedule or cancel events and what else ? No respect at all for the game, no respect at all for the chess players/customers.

After spending a month in France looking closely at the wonderful organisation of two great open chess tournaments, reading this on Chesstalk is a shocking return to Canada's retarded state of chess development.
        Canadian chess is fragmented. Quebec provides very few members to the CFC and has no real affliliaton with the CFC. So, the CFC only appears to represent represent 75% of the population of the nation.

For tournaments, the players have to decide for themselves where they will play. Possibly some players would prefer to play in such a one day event for $50. as opposed to spending close to $200. to play for a week in the Canadian Open.

If the players want to make money and appearance fees, why shouldn't the organizers try to make money? For the players the risk is nobody will want to pay them to play and for the organizers the risk is nobody will pay to play in their events.
        Gary Ruben
        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Anyone know the record # of participants for a CFC Rated Active event?
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I was wondering that myself. If you specify an adult event (as junior tournaments are typically at active time controls), the number is probably quite small. (with or without the stipulation that it be CFC rated)

Luc Poitras's events have drawn in the mid 30's although are not usually CFC rated. The 2009 BC active championship (which was CFC rated althought the 2010 version was not) had I think 36 or 38 people in two sections (I'd post the crosstable but the CFC xtable site seems to be down...sigh)

But surely there is an event somewhere bigger than 36?

Comment

And I suppose denigrating any new ideas that are tried by somebody is a sure way to improve conditions?

Sure, not all new ideas are good. But don't belittle and lambast people who try something new. Let them try and see if it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                I was wondering that myself. If you specify an adult event (as junior tournaments are typically at active time controls), the number is probably quite small. (with or without the stipulation that it be CFC rated)

Luc Poitras's events have drawn in the mid 30's although are not usually CFC rated. The 2009 BC active championship (which was CFC rated althought the 2010 version was not) had I think 36 or 38 people in two sections (I'd post the crosstable but the CFC xtable site seems to be down...sigh)

I went to check out some of my previous Actives (as a player), but the damn website is unresponsive again, grrr. :(

Anyway, a few years back, there was a gentleman, I believe in Waterloo, Ontario, who was running CFC-rated Actives on ICC. It was once a month on Sunday evenings, if I remember correctly, and attendance eventually was quite decent, I seem to recall.

Comment

I'm sure that the annual Keres 6-round active at the Estonian House on Broadview in the 1980-90s had 60 players.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post

As Jean has pointed out on other occasions, obtaining sponsorship to mitigate the risk is a good solution, but an elusive one for most prospective tournaments. National tournaments like the Canadian Open or a Large tournament in a big city may have a better shot at sponsorship than a local weekend Swiss, but the risks are not the same in those two situations.
                    Here in Quebec we have three weekend events coming up, all three benefitting from sponsorhip and offering respectively 5000, 5000 and 12000$ in prizes. One of them (the Ch. Ouvert du Saguenay) in its 2nd edition is heavily sponsored. Participants will get probably 4-5 times what they pay in entry fees. The "ch. ouvert de la Mauricie" gets enough entries to at least break even, but still gets some hard money from the city. Their prize fund is not garanteed but year after year it is given in full. And the "ch. de Lanaudière" is another event that gives more money than it gets from the players, thanks to a fair amount of support from the city.
                    I have wrote it before and I will stick to it because it is a fact: most organizers do not get sponsorship because they don't search for it or/and don't know how.

Comment

If you include FQE-rated active tournaments, the highest was 118 at the 1992 Quebec Open ative championship. Unfortunately - this event hasn't been held the last few years.

http://canbase.fqechecs.qc.ca/winqsr.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                        We should wish only the good organizers to succeed. Those trying silly formulas doomed to failure actually hurt the game of chess and should be censured before they can do more damage. In this particular case looking at those above figures, we are dealing with someone with little interest in the game itself but a big interest in making a profit. To achieve this goal he is ready to ask for outrageous entry fees, reschedule or cancel events and what else ? No respect at all for the game, no respect at all for the chess players/customers.

After spending a month in France looking closely at the wonderful organisation of two great open chess tournaments, reading this on Chesstalk is a shocking return to Canada's retarded state of chess development.
                        Without defending this particular organizer or condoning his methods, someone needs once again to get in Jean's face and say this:

Maybe if you want things better here in Canada, you should be paying entry fees to organizers here in Canada instead of chasing selfish goals over in Europe.

Oh, I forgot, you're JEAN HEBERT, you don't pay entry fees. What was that you were saying about "someone with little interest in the game itself but a big interest in making a profit"?

If it's such a shocking return, don't bother returning. Canadian chess doesn't need armchair quarterbacks. But since you are returning, how about you put your money where your mouth is?

BTW, it should be mentioned that in comparing France and Canada with respect to chess organization, France doesn't have Canada's HOCKEY or CURLING interests to compete with in winter. And in the summer, maybe Canadians just want to get outdoors instead of being glued to a wooden chair pushing chess pieces all weekend. There are cultural differences that will likely never be overcome. If you like France, go live in France, which is probably why you whine and selfishly pursuing GM norms instead of helping to remedy all the problems you whine about.
                        Only the rushing is heard...
                        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                          BTW, it should be mentioned that in comparing France and Canada with respect to chess organization, France doesn't have Canada's HOCKEY or CURLING interests to compete with in winter. And in the summer, maybe Canadians just want to get outdoors instead of being glued to a wooden chair pushing chess pieces all weekend.
                          Your knowledge and understanding of France seems to match your understanding of chess. No surprise there.

Comment

I wrote to the organiser asking if the event was for adults as well as juniors. No reply.

Comment

And I suppose denigrating any new ideas that are tried by somebody is a sure way to improve conditions?

Sure, not all new ideas are good. But don't belittle and lambast people who try something new. Let them try and see if it works.
                              Roger,

Use your judgment if you can to set apart the good, the bad and the ugly. If you want to try a new but highly dubious move in your favorite Orang-Outang opening, its your business and the worst that can happen is that you will lose the game and please an opponent.

A so-called new organizer coming up with silly schemes to make a buck and cancelling them at the last moment has very negative consequences for the chess community, first of all in terms of image. It is our responsability that these things do not come off the ground. Encouraging them to "try" hopeless and potentially destructive schemes is not a good idea.

It seems that some people are so desperate to have things organised for them that they are ready to thrust anybody, no matter how foolish their plans may be. In the meantime the good organizers stay on the sidelines watching the experiments.

Comment

It's one thing to not like a particular set of organizing conditions and decide yourself not to play. It another thing entirely to decide that nobody else should play either and do your best to stop an event from happening.

Here we have an event that is something like 1000km from you, that you wouldn't play in even if conditions were perfect. Heaven forbid that somebody, somewhere should play chess under conditions you consider "inferior".

Your rationale for this that there are good organizers being "forced" to sit on the sidelines because of all the "bad" events is not credible.

Further, there is nothing to guarantee your feelings represent the truth of what is considered "good" organizing or even that others agree with your feeling that no tournaments is better than having "bad" tournaments. Where would we be if all the people who feel the Canadian Open should be either run in sections demanded sections or no tournament at all and all the people who like one section demanded one section or no tournament at all?

Comment

Working...
                                X