$ 400 in 5 hours work !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brampton Active Chess Tournament

your or my opinion on what is excessive is irrelevent. Only the buyer's and seller's opinion is relevent.

Personnally, I agree it is a large fee. I presume that the reality is that the organizer really, really doesn't want to process new memberships. And who are you to say that his dislike is excessive?

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: $ 400 in 5 hours work !!

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post

By contrast, I haven't yet reached my peak in terms of intellectual understanding in my field. I'm accomplishing things I couldn't have dreamt of 18 years ago, using the same coding language I was using then. I haven't stopped learning or improving. Yet according to your post, chess players peak around 35 and stop improving after that. Perhaps it says something about chess professionals, that very early on they reach a certain plateau, their life becomes a somewhat easy one of appearance fees and grandmaster draws, and their chess understanding undergoes no further improvement?

I believe that truly devoted chess professionals should continue to improve into their 50's, and only then would I grant them some leeway due to aging.
      Paul

I am 54-year old. I began to play chess in 1976 (34 years ago). Around 1982 I got an expert rating (more than 2000), and it went up and down several times. My last 2000+ rating was in 1994. Since then my rating steadily dropped, today it is between 1850 and 1900 most of the time.

Does this mean than my chess understanding is lower than before? Not at all. Actually I understand chess a lot better now than 30 years ago. Now I understand better positional play, opening and endgame theory, and I know better chess history and the games of the great champions. So why did my rating go down? The answer is: because chess is NOT a purely intellectual endeavour. Chess is mainly a SPORT. It takes stamina to play two 5-hour games a day at a constant high level.

So today my chess understanding is better than before, but my rating is lower, because I get older... in particular, I cannot calculate long combinations as well as before... also I get tired sooner... since I take more time to find good moves, I get more often in time trouble... and I blunder more often... but fortunately my overall chess understanding is better than ever, which partly compensates for my numerous tactical slips...

It does not take so many more blunders to lower significantly a chess rating. I hope you understand better now the difference between chess understanding and chess rating.

Comment

A dollar maybe.
        Christopher Mallon
        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

My opinion IS relevant. Who am I? A. A potential customer (buyer as you call them). B. A CFC Governor, responsible in part for making the rules about how CFC Memberships are processed.

If you don't consider my opinion to be relevant, don't read my posts...
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re: $ 400 in 5 hours work !!

I agree with Roger. I think it is nuts that people pay twice as much for items at their local corner store as they would going to the chain supermarket, but clearly there are people for whom the convenience is worth the price. Perhaps there are people for whom paying $15 is reasonable for renewing their CFC memberships. If they think it isn't reasonable, but still want to play in this event, they will do something else.

I suppose as an alternative the organizer could say they simply won't process memberships and that all players must already have a valid CFC membership to play, but that would potentially cut down on their number of customers, no?
            "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

A similar tournament with a similar prize fund, but blitz, in New York, and with a sponsor. OK, it is completely a different tournament. Anyway check the flyer.

http://www.marshallchessclub.org/Eve...20Memorial.pdf

---
              Luke 11:9 or Matthew 7:7

Comment

Similar Event...

Notice who the sponsor is.

Comment

Re : Re: Brampton Active Chess Tournament

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                  My opinion IS relevant. Who am I? A. A potential customer (buyer as you call them). B. A CFC Governor, responsible in part for making the rules about how CFC Memberships are processed.

The FQE has no problems of this kind. Adult players will always pay the same amount ($40) for a FQE membership. When an organizer has to process this membership, he sends $35 to the FQE, keeping $5 for his trouble. This is a good incentive for organizers, and players are never penalized for renewing at a tournament site.

Comment

A dollar maybe.
                    Possibly that kind of "nominal" fee for CFC and OCA fees would bring in more members.

I (CCCA) used to give a free years membership to anyone who could get three (or maybe it was 5) people who were not members to sign up. A couple of players got multiple free years stacked up that way. Others only one year. You see, I didn't much care about the membership costs. lt was all about the tournament entries and chess goods to break even.

If an organizers can sign up a bunch of players for the CFC, what possible difference can it make if he puts on a surcharge? When the CFC asks for the player to renew the next year the lower price will seem like a bargain.
                    Gary Ruben
                    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

well if as a CFC governer who has the power to propose new bad regulations and who has just stated that he thinks such a bad regulation should be in place, it behooves me to read your post and dispute it.

You have not provided any substantive reason for your proposed regulation other than a personnal opinion that he shouldn't do it. Your're OK apparently with a "modest" fee apparently - so what is philosophically different about a large fee?

Comment

Sorites Paradox

Philosophically, the last question relies on a fallacy, based on the sorites paradox.

Comment

Re: Sorites Paradox

Originally posted by Benoit St-Pierre View Post
                          Philosophically, the last question relies on a fallacy, based on the sorites paradox.
                          The discussion changed. It is no longer based on there being a fee or no fee added. Now the discussion is based on the size of the fee which may be added.

In any case, I can't recall anything in the CFC bylaws which prohibits the practice.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                            I have wrote it before and I will stick to it because it is a fact: most organizers do not get sponsorship because they don't search for it or/and don't know how.
                            Most organizers do not get sponsorship because it's a pain in the ass to do (since an average business gets exactly zero ROI for sponsoring a chess tourney) so just so your tournament can get picked over and criticized (before and after) by every average IM who thinks he is entitled to world class conditions. Oh, and by the way, the organizer is expected to do all this in exchange for no money for himself. Where do we sign up?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                              This obsession you (PB) appear to have for following Jean Hebert around wherever he goes and verbally abusing him can't be healthy, can it?
                              Actually it could be some kind of self-therapy but unfortunately the patient does not seem to get any better. Quite the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                                Most organizers do not get sponsorship because it's a pain in the ass to do (since an average business gets exactly zero ROI for sponsoring a chess tourney) so just so your tournament can get picked over and criticized (before and after) by every average IM who thinks he is entitled to world class conditions. Oh, and by the way, the organizer is expected to do all this in exchange for no money for himself. Where do we sign up?
                                By twisting just about every word and even putting words and ideas into my mouth you are merely showing an inexcusable bad faith.

First of all there is no denying that some businesses do sponsor chess events, along with many municipalities for the exposure their city gets.*And that for a relatively small amount of money compared with other types of events. Whether they do it for ROI or something else is irrevelant. The point is that this sponsorship is good and available for chess.

I certainly do not expect "world class conditions", otherwise I would have been inactive for a long time. In Capelle-la-Grande recently I got hotel and meals, while the GMs got the same plus expense money. In Cannes later, I got similar treatment as winner of the first "French speaking countries championship". I did not have to ask for it. I had earned it in front of a GM and half a dozen "average IMs".

You find that as an organizer finding sponsorship is tiring ? Well, that just tells what kind of organizer you might be and what kind of a person you are. Not necessarily a bad person but a lazy dumbell of an organizer. Obviously the best chance that a capable organizer has to make some money for himself is to find sponsors, private or public. Just sucking out blood from low income chess players your way is a hopeless endeavour.

Comment

Working...
                                X