Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: $ 400 in 5 hours work !!

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
    This obsession you appear to have for following Jean Hebert around wherever he goes and verbally abusing him can't be healthy, can it?
    I only respond to Jean when he undeservedly and arrogantly attacks others, specifically organizers. Which I suppose pretty much would by 90% of his posts. I think I told Kerry Liles several weeks ago that I wasnt' attempting to troll all of Jean Hebert's posts. But I feel a compulsion to defend organizers because they are (with possibly a few exceptions) the true workhorses of Canadian chess. Jean has no regard for their efforts, all he sees is conditions that don't meet his approval and so he attacks the organizer. He flippantly uses terms like "retarded" (Sarah Palin better not hear about that!) and "dumbell". He sees tournament conditions in one part of the world and believes those same conditions should exist here in Canada, and if they don't, it's the organizers' fault. He's extremely narrow-minded.

That's all it is, Peter, plain and simple. On this particular thread, I've responded to just about all of Hebert's posts because they're all in that category. I will continue to expose Hebert for the negative force he is to Canadian chess.
    Only the rushing is heard...
    Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: $ 400 in 5 hours work !!

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
      Paul

I am 54-year old. I began to play chess in 1976 (34 years ago). Around 1982 I got an expert rating (more than 2000), and it went up and down several times. My last 2000+ rating was in 1994. Since then my rating steadily dropped, today it is between 1850 and 1900 most of the time.

Does this mean than my chess understanding is lower than before? Not at all. Actually I understand chess a lot better now than 30 years ago. Now I understand better positional play, opening and endgame theory, and I know better chess history and the games of the great champions. So why did my rating go down? The answer is: because chess is NOT a purely intellectual endeavour. Chess is mainly a SPORT. It takes stamina to play two 5-hour games a day at a constant high level.

So today my chess understanding is better than before, but my rating is lower, because I get older... in particular, I cannot calculate long combinations as well as before... also I get tired sooner... since I take more time to find good moves, I get more often in time trouble... and I blunder more often... but fortunately my overall chess understanding is better than ever, which partly compensates for my numerous tactical slips...

It does not take so many more blunders to lower significantly a chess rating. I hope you understand better now the difference between chess understanding and chess rating.
      Louis, it is not I who easily dismisses the chess understanding of others, it is Jean Hebert.

If you want to rail against someone, do it against Jean. He writes that I have virtually no chess understanding, something he would know nothing about. It is a personal shortcoming of Jean, that he can just dismiss anyone he disagrees with and accuse them of having no understanding. He honestly believes only he has true understanding of the issues he writes about.

I can understand that you cannot keep your rating level, much less improve it, but what I wrote was about chess PROFESSIONALS. Anyone who devotes every day, their entire life, to chess should overcome all the stamina issues you mention. Since their understanding is supposedly improving much more than yours is, they should see continued improvement in their rating right into their 50s at least. If it's a stamina issue, they need to work out.

If in my profession I just stayed level and didn't improve, I'd be out of work by now. And my profession requires at least 8 hours a day of intense concentration, not unlike playing a game of chess. I have to have stamina also, and there are also young people right out of university who are very bright and talented for me to contend with, just as there are young talented chess players for the likes of Hebert to contend with. If I can continue to improve and not lose out to these youngesters, then mature chess professionals should be able to do the same.

I personally believe they don't improve because once they reach a certain level, they operate on cruise control, which they can get away with. Even with some decline in their ratings, they still maintain an easy lifestyle (which is not to say a rich lifestyle, but "easy" meaning they don't have to work hard). So for me, these people are underperforming and are not truly devoted to their profession. They are not pushed hard enough, by others or even by themselves.

I, on the other hand, continue to push myself very hard and continue to improve. This verifies my viewpoint, I can see that improvement is possible even 18 years into my profession. I would truly say to Jean Hebert that he can and should become a GM and improve his rating. But obviously for 20 years he hasn't done that, so it seems either he is one of those who lives the easy life, or perhaps he's had personal issues blocking his way, I really can't say.

One thing is clear, he wants more of an easy life here in Canada, which is why he's trying to get organizers to do all the grunt work to get sponsors to pony up for all the freebies Hebert thinks he deserves. Jean will not do any of the work himself, he feels above doing that, unlike his Facebook friend Mikhail Egorov, who just played in the Hamilton Winter Open where he also helped make name cards for the tables and helped run the demo boards. Now THAT'S the kind of player you need more of in Canada!
      Only the rushing is heard...
      Onward flies the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
        Paul

I am 54-year old. I began to play chess in 1976 (34 years ago). Around 1982 I got an expert rating (more than 2000), and it went up and down several times. My last 2000+ rating was in 1994. Since then my rating steadily dropped, today it is between 1850 and 1900 most of the time.

Does this mean than my chess understanding is lower than before? Not at all. Actually I understand chess a lot better now than 30 years ago. Now I understand better positional play, opening and endgame theory, and I know better chess history and the games of the great champions. So why did my rating go down? The answer is: because chess is NOT a purely intellectual endeavour. Chess is mainly a SPORT. It takes stamina to play two 5-hour games a day at a constant high level.

So today my chess understanding is better than before, but my rating is lower, because I get older... in particular, I cannot calculate long combinations as well as before... also I get tired sooner... since I take more time to find good moves, I get more often in time trouble... and I blunder more often... but fortunately my overall chess understanding is better than ever, which partly compensates for my numerous tactical slips...

It does not take so many more blunders to lower significantly a chess rating. I hope you understand better now the difference between chess understanding and chess rating.
        Louis,

54 years old yes, but you forgot to say that you are now more than 400 pounds. The brain simply need a good slim and trained body to perform at the top no matter the age.

If you look at Jean on pictures he is very slim and in good shape since he decided to go for GM norms. The guy is doing a come back, before he was simply teaching chess and played in minor weekends tournaments.
        Last edited by Carl Bilodeau; Tuesday, 23rd March, 2010, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
          Jean will not do any of the work himself, he feels above doing that, unlike his Facebook friend Mikhail Egorov, who just played in the Hamilton Winter Open where he also helped make name cards for the tables and helped run the demo boards. Now THAT'S the kind of player you need more of in Canada!
          He writes a weekly chess magazine for 1500+ readers and spend one day a week doing it. This is the kind of player you need more of in Canada!

Also he beated the young Canadian top players to become the Canadian Champion 2009. This is the kind of player you need more of in Canada!

He stay in Canada and play in Canada's tournaments so our kids can chalenge him. This is the kind of player you need more of in Canada!

He gives many good advices base on his long carreer as a teacher, as a chess newspapers writer and as a chess player. This is the kind of player you need more of in Canada!

Carl

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Bilodeau View Post
            The brain simply need a good slim and trained body to perform at the top no matter the age.
            I'm not convinced, the US GM Ben Finegold ain't no lightweight. Surely there is hope for we fatties.

Comment

$ 400 in 5 hours work !!

He writes a weekly chess magazine for 1500+ readers and spend one day a week doing it. This is the kind of player you need more of in Canada!

Also he beated the young Canadian top players to become the Canadian Champion 2009. This is the kind of player you need more of in Canada!

He stay in Canada and play in Canada's tournaments so our kids can chalenge him. This is the kind of player you need more of in Canada!

He gives many good advices base on his long carreer as a teacher, as a chess newspapers writer and as a chess player. This is the kind of player you need more of in Canada!

Carl
              Merci, Carl
              A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                I'm not convinced, the US GM Ben Finegold ain't no lightweight. Surely there is hope for we fatties.
                In an interview after he became world champion Bobby Fischer was asked: Do you do some sport?

- Yes I have an intensive training a lot, I swim and play tennis but all this training is only a preparation for Chess, you sit for hours, have to be concentrate..... a lot of blood go in the head....

Click here to see the video. (I think this is the interview)

In my opinion GM Ben Finegold is losing more than 50 pts because of his exta 50 pounds, just like Louis is losing 280 pts (450 pounds - 180 normal weight = 280 extra pounds).
                Last edited by Carl Bilodeau; Tuesday, 23rd March, 2010, 11:45 AM.

Comment

If you look at Jean on pictures he is very slim and in good shape since he decided to go for GM norms.
                  Well I wish that it would be completely true but actually I may look slimmer than I am. No doubt that losing 10-15 pounds would not hurt my resistance and performances. Last summer I did quite a bit of biking which I believe was an important part of my success at the Canadian Closed. I felt more relaxed and fcused. But it didn't make me lose any weight. Nonetheless I will bike again this spring and summer...

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
                    That's one nice feature of chess. Everybody, young and old, men or women, rich and not so rich, physically handicapped, slim and not so slim can play and enjoy the game at various levels. The one possible exception being the PB type looking for brainless lottery type games with a high level of chance and randomness. Fortunately thinking games like chess have built-in features to keep those really handicapped people away. :)

Comment

Re: $ 400 in 5 hours work !!

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                      ... blah, blah, blah ... I will continue to expose Hebert for the negative force he is to Canadian chess.
                      I suggest you take the blinders off. You're so focussed on trying to impale Jean Hebert that you're failing to see the bigger, more accurate picture. For example, have you read what Carl Bilodeau wrote about Jean elsewhere in this thread? Here it is:

Originally posted by Carl Bilodeau

Carl
                      How do you reconcile your viewpoint with what Carl wrote?
                      Last edited by Peter McKillop; Tuesday, 23rd March, 2010, 06:42 PM.
                      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                        Well I wish that it would be completely true but actually I may look slimmer than I am. No doubt that losing 10-15 pounds would not hurt my resistance and performances. Last summer I did quite a bit of biking which I believe was an important part of my success at the Canadian Closed. I felt more relaxed and fcused. But it didn't make me lose any weight. Nonetheless I will bike again this spring and summer...
                        I am (slowly) reading a great book on this subject, it's called Spark and it's about how certain types of exercise can have a dramatic effect on mental focus and ability. Their case study was a high school outside of Chicago, that went from below-average test scores to best in the country test scores after implementing a new fitness program for all students. Interesting stuff.

For anyone interested, the best exercise for this is the kind that requires some thinking (naturally). Biking outside is great, biking on a stationary bike has almost no direct effect on mental focus or ability. Ditto running outside compared to a treadmill. Rock Climbing is apparently the most amazing thing to do for this.
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                          Ditto running outside compared to a treadmill.
                          It is much more challenging to run on a treadmill. You can not stop wherever you want :D

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                            I am (slowly) reading a great book on this subject, it's called Spark and it's about how certain types of exercise can have a dramatic effect on mental focus and ability. Their case study was a high school outside of Chicago, that went from below-average test scores to best in the country test scores after implementing a new fitness program for all students. Interesting stuff.

For anyone interested, the best exercise for this is the kind that requires some thinking (naturally). Biking outside is great, biking on a stationary bike has almost no direct effect on mental focus or ability. Ditto running outside compared to a treadmill. Rock Climbing is apparently the most amazing thing to do for this.
                            Hi Chris, that is very interesting! I totally agree how outside versions of an activity would be better, just with the sheer amount of extra environment awarenesss required.

Now, are there any other summaries you could provide from that book, like sports that have many "plays" vs. more continuous play, sports that have an actual opponent vs. something individual like against the clock, sports that have higher failure risk (what I mean by that is, if you lose at tennis, not a big deal, if you lose at boxing, pain baby!)

If you prefer to reply by email, feel free, I'm researching that book now, thanks! :)

Comment

Re : Re: Re : Re: Re : Re: $ 400 in 5 hours work !!

Louis,

54 years old yes, but you forgot to say that you are now more than 400 pounds.
                              Probably because the first digit of my weight is a 2? Of course I am way too big, but why give me more than I deserve?

Comment

The book in general thinks team sports are pathetic, both educationally and as an exercise tool.

It makes sense too. If they WERE good exercise, pro athletes wouldn't have to work out to be in good shape to play their games! You spend way too much time sitting around while other people do things.

The author particularly loves Tennis if you are into individual sports. A great combination of hand-eye coordination needed plus reflexes AND running around. And very little in the way of "enforced" downtime - you take a break when you're tired, not when the rules of the game require you to.
                                Christopher Mallon
                                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
                                X