Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re : Re: $ 400 in 5 hours work !!

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post

If my profession over those 18 years had been chess, I'd expect nothing but the same line of progression.

Compare this with Jean Hebert, whose whole life is chess yet whose chess rating 20 years ago was about where it is now.
    I don't understand your point. Chess is a sport, and in any sport a professional player usually experiences a peak after a comparatively early age. For chess this age lies between 30 and 35-year old. Canadian Grandmaster Kevin Spraggett does not have a higher rating than 20 years ago. When he died, Canadian Grandmaster Igor Ivanov was less strong than 20 years before. Take any great champion of the past after their prime, and you will see the same pattern. The Capablanca of 1938 (losing four games in his last great tournament) had lost a lot of ground compared to the invincible Capablanca who did not lose a single game between 1916 (against Chajes) and 1924 (against Reti).

Comment

Re: $ 400 in 5 hours work !!

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
      Compare this with Jean Hebert, whose whole life is chess yet whose chess rating 20 years ago was about where it is now.
      Jean Hébert was the Canadian champion in 1978, and is the current Canadian champion. Is that what you mean by not getting anywhere?

Comment

Re: Re : Re: $ 400 in 5 hours work !!

Originally posted by Louis Morin View Post
        I don't understand your point. Chess is a sport, and in any sport a professional player usually experiences a peak after a comparatively early age. For chess this age lies between 30 and 35-year old. Canadian Grandmaster Kevin Spraggett does not have a higher rating than 20 years ago. When he died, Canadian Grandmaster Igor Ivanov was less strong than 20 years before. Take any great champion of the past after their prime, and you will see the same pattern. The Capablanca of 1938 (losing four games in his last great tournament) had lost a lot of ground compared to the invincible Capablanca who did not lose a single game between 1916 (against Chajes) and 1924 (against Reti).
        Well, Jean was implying that I have little understanding of chess, further implying that is some indication of one's value as a commentator on this forum. This is the Hebert method: use chess prowess as the main indicator of one's value to Canadian chess. Thus he can use his 2400+ rating to exalt himself and denigrate those organizers who don't produce tournaments where the level of sponsorship is such that Jean can participate free of charge and be given red carpet treatment.

If this is true - chess understanding is directly related to the value of one's comments here - then I'm highlighting Jean's stagnation to show that his own value hasn't gone anywhere in the past 20 years, despite his best and full-time efforts. I'm just turning his logic against him, it doesn't mean I agree at all with his logic.

By contrast, I haven't yet reached my peak in terms of intellectual understanding in my field. I'm accomplishing things I couldn't have dreamt of 18 years ago, using the same coding language I was using then. I haven't stopped learning or improving. Yet according to your post, chess players peak around 35 and stop improving after that. Perhaps it says something about chess professionals, that very early on they reach a certain plateau, their life becomes a somewhat easy one of appearance fees and grandmaster draws, and their chess understanding undergoes no further improvement?

I believe that truly devoted chess professionals should continue to improve into their 50's, and only then would I grant them some leeway due to aging.

Jean at 50-something is out pursuing GM norms as if he's somehow getting better at chess, and he's probably using other people's money to do it (but I don't know that for sure). And while he's over in Europe doing this, he's criticizing Canadian chess organizers as I outlined above. His bitterness and anger is due not to his concern for chess in Canada, but because Canadian taxpayers / corporations aren't paying his way to the extent he sees happening for other chess professionals over in Europe.

And as previously pointed out, he's particularly angry in this thread because his eyes got so big when he saw the thread title and thought he might be in for an easy $400.
        Only the rushing is heard...
        Onward flies the bird.

Comment

In view of the fact that the organiser has not replied to my email, I suspect this event might not happen.

Storm in a teacup, flash in the pan, if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen, etc etc and so forth.

Comment

Brampton Active Chess Tournament

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
            It seems to me that by saying both

"A lucrative one day $2000 unconditional guaranteed prize fund" and also
            "If not enough seats are sold, the event will rescheduled" the organizer is trying to have it both ways.
            The organizer does not take any risks or what so ever to loss money in the event that the minimum number of participants is not met and re-scheduling is necessary until the quota is met, only then the event will go through. Hence, the $2000 is guaranteed. Entry fee refunds are also guaranteed to be returned.

And what's with "A surcharge of $15 will apply in addition to the CFC membership fee" for people paying their membership dues?? Doesn't seem reasonable at all.
            Please note that on the flyer, it was clearly stated that the tournament is a "CFC Rated". Simply means that before you play in this tournament, you should have paid your CFC membership or CFC membership renewal fee, otherwise you should pay a surcharge of $15 if you want the organizer to do that job for you.

Does anyone have any experience with this organiser?
            This is the debut of the chess organizer

Comment

Brampton Active Chess Tournament

Originally posted by Erwin Casareno View Post
              BRAMPTON ACTIVE SPRING CHESS TOURNAMENT
              Saturday, April 24, 2010
              10:00 a.m. sharp
              Courtyard Marriott Convention Center
              90 Biscayne Crescent
              Brampton, Ontario

Time: Opening Ceremonies 9.00am; Games start 10:00 am sharp

Type: Swiss, No byes, CFC rated

Rounds: 5 (R1 10:00-11:00 R2 11:15-12:15 Break 12:15 R3 1:30- 2:30 R4 2:45-3:45 R5 4:00-5:00)

CFC Membership: Required

Section: Open, Under 2100, Under 1800, Under 1400

Time Control: 30 minutes

Prizes: $2000 prize fund

Entrance Fee: $50.00 Pre-Registration only by April 1, 2010 (no cheques post-dated April 24 accepted)
              Confirmation of pre-registration will be sent to the players via email provided.
              Check in at registration desk by 9:30 am or you will not be paired for the first round. $70.00 cash on site.

No cheques will be accepted at the event and entrance subject to available seats per room capacity. If not enough seats are reserved, the event will be rescheduled to an alternate day in May to allow sufficient time to promote this amazing one-day event.

Registration: Online at http://www.littlechessmates.com/cgi-...e/storepro.php or mail cheque made payable to Little Chess Mates (140 Beechnut Rd, Woodbridge ON L4L 6T7) or via Paypal and fax entry form to 416

Organizers: Mario Adragna (416 885-8142) and TD- Devon Thomas (905 495-6834)

Must bring clocks. TD will decide which clock will be used between players. All chess sets will be provided. CFC membership required or can be purchased onsite. A surcharge of $15 will apply in addition to the CFC membership fee.

PRIZES - $2000
              (Based on min of 100 players)

Open U2100 U1800 U1400 Best All U900
              1st $400 $300 $250 $175 $50
              2nd $200 $150 $125 $75
              3rd $75 $75 $75 $50

Tournament triple-weighted chess sets supplied are available for purchase at the end of the tournament at half Little Chess Mate’s retail cost - $14.99 plus applicable taxes. 1 per player. See website for details.

Email: mario@littlechessmates.com

Tournament website: www.littlechessmates.com/parks.php

Side Events: Booth with chess equipment for purchase and raffle draw. Giant chess set to interact with. Opening and closing ceremonies.

Ample free parking at an award-winning convention center. Plenty of amenities: Tim Horton's, Wendy's, Applybe’s and more. Games projected on giant screen. A professional chess atmosphere.

This is a Little Chess Mates sponsored event. Facilitated and sponsored by Little Chess Mates, a chess facility exclusively for children.

90 Biscayne Crescent
              Brampton, Ontario
              Map: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/...onto-brampton/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BRAMPTON ACTIVE SPRING CHESS TOURNAMENT
              Entry Form

By Mail Send Entry to: ______________________________ ______________ __/___/__ ________
              Little Chess Mates Name CFC# Expiry CFC rating
              140 Beechnut Road ______________________________ Please check box:
              Woodbridge, ON L4L 6T7 Address
              ____________________________ Open Under 2100 Under 1800
              Under 1400
              Or Online at
              www.littlechessmates.com ____________________________

Please make cheques payable to Little Chess Mates. Preregister by April 1, 2010. Seats are limited.

*Includes a $15 surcharge.
              This flyer is similar to the one posted at http://torontochess.org/drupal/

FYI,

FYI

Comment

Re: Brampton Active Chess Tournament

Originally posted by Ferdinand Supsup View Post
                Please note that on the flyer, it was clearly stated that the tournament is a "CFC Rated". Simply means that before you play in this tournament, you should have paid your CFC membership or CFC membership renewal fee, otherwise you should pay a surcharge of $15 if you want the organizer to do that job for you.
                I'm not sure the CFC should allow a surcharge or processing fee on their memberships.
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                  I'm not sure the CFC should allow a surcharge or processing fee on their memberships.
                  I agree, though there is not much the CFC can do about it. In view of the fact that the organiser has to submit the ratings report and pay the ratings fee, it isn't exactly a lot of work to send in membership fees at the same time.

Let's not get too excited, I suspect this "organiser" will sink without making too many ripples.

Comment

you should be careful about that - demanding that organizers work for free for you.

As I recall, one of the Ottawa events also had different fees for people renewing membership with the organizers (Aris - is this correct?)

FYI, the organizers of the Grand Pacific Open have discussed several times not processing CFC memberships at all - although providing a internet station for people to purchase a membership themselves directly. There are several reasons for this - the additional work involved, the hassle of getting the CFC to process the memberships correctly, the question of who is liable if something goes wrong (e.g. the wrong membership fee is charged or something else), and the problems we had when we sold memberships to people explaining that they would get a magazine 4 times a year and nothing happened. Online registration seems to work better (although there are periodically posts here about that not working well either.) We may still do this at some point.
                    Last edited by Roger Patterson; Sunday, 21st March, 2010, 02:11 PM.

Comment

In another thread, Neil Sullivan quotes from a new chess book "When you can take something away from your opponent, wisely resist the urge and falsify the idea first before biting into the apple."

That sounds like good advice for this organiser. I mean, if you are gonna pay out only 40% of the entry fees as prizes, charge $15 for processing CFC memberships, and intend to postpone (cancel?) the event if you don't get 100 suckers to sign up, it would really have helped to "falsify the idea first".

Comment

If they feel it will take up lots of their valuable time, they should factor that into how much they are paying themselves, not tax people who for any number of reasons do not have a valid membership when they show up.

The concept for the Grand Pacific Open sounds like a workable compromise.
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

This obsession you appear to have for following Jean Hebert around wherever he goes and verbally abusing him can't be healthy, can it?
                          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

If they feel it will take up lots of their valuable time, they should factor that into how much they are paying themselves, not tax people who for any number of reasons do not have a valid membership when they show up.

Sure they could do that - assuming the atypical case of an organizer who pays himself. They can also charge the people responsible directly. They do for example commonly charge late fees for people who register late, adding to the aggrivation of doing a lot of things at the last minute. Your solution does not provide any incentive for players to modify their behaviour.

I don't understand your objection - strong enough apparrently that you would make it against the rules. Players who need to renew have a zero additional cost option by buying it directly from the CFC.

Comment

I wouldn't have as big of an objection if it was a nominal fee. $15 is a bit excessive for an item that costs $20-$43, don't you think?
                              Christopher Mallon
                              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I wouldn't have as big of an objection if it was a nominal fee. $15 is a bit excessive for an item that costs $20-$43, don't you think?
                                How much is "nominal"? In your opinion, of course.
                                Gary Ruben
                                CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                                X