$ 400 in 5 hours work !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: $ 400 in 5 hours work !!

Wish I hadn't started this, but......in the perfect world, my common sense tells me that the foundation should exist to support the development of Canadian chess blah blah blah. And if for any reason the CFC fails dismally to do this, the foundation funds should be reserved for someone who can do a better job!

Unfortunately, although the principles are fairly clear, the terms of reference for the foundation clearly align the whole thing with the CFC, which makes a mockery of the intent....IMHO. You really do need trustees that are independent and arms length from the CFC, but they are appointed by the CFC???

As I said, the whole thing is a mess.....
    Fred Harvey

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
      Nice spin Jean, but I would remind you that it was the Foundation that did come to the financial rescue of the CFC while it underwent it's restructuring program. I took a lot of flack when I first suggested it, but it was the foundation loans which allowed the CFC to continue "normal" operations. As for obligations to life memberships, I think most have received a pretty good deal, some I believe $50 in exchange for a lifetime of services. Well, I guess they are "entitled to their entitlements"!
      If I understand you correctly, you consider that "life" has become a much exagerated concept that should be shortened considerably. I am not sure that this and the fact that the chess (CFC ?) foundation's money was used to help the CFC continue its "normal" operations speaks so favorably about its existence. We would like to think that the foundation's money is safe from being used for vaguely related chess projets (like CFC "restructuring"), but obviously it is not. It appears safe only from being used for real chess projects and essential services to members.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
        If I understand you correctly,...
        Clearly, you do not :)

Comment

But the question is: is such a foundation really appropriate for the needs of canadian Chess ? Being in a state of under development compared to the rest of the world, can we really afford to wait until that foundation miraculously grows big enough so that chess can develop using only the interests ?
          I believe the foundation is essential considering how often the CFC is led by less than financial competetent executives.

The CFC can develop chess without help of the foundation if it so desires. Two major obstacles in my opinion is the absurb number of decision makers (such a small organization has 50+ governors) and its inability to see beyond rated, competitive chess. Such a small sandbox ...

I believe the CFC made a major faux pas when it pushed Mr. Gillanders away because I thought for the first time in 10 years, the CFC office was becoming respectable and stable enough to have the potential to expand its sandbox.

I fear you will not see any major improvement from the CFC anytime soon, Mr. Hébert.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Rouleau View Post

Two major obstacles in my opinion is the absurb number of decision makers (such a small organization has 50+ governors) and its inability to see beyond rated, competitive chess. Such a small sandbox ...
            what is the ratio between members and governors? if there's less than 100 members in a region, there probably shouldn't be a governor. i've said this a few times over the years...governors should be made to bring in a few new members (let's say 5 but it could be higher) in order to earn/keep their governorship...a motion like this could help out with the problems of inactive governors and membership ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Sadler View Post
              what is the ratio between members and governors?
              I believe it is 1 governor for every 50 members. Juniors and participating members are counted partially, I think, don't quote me, I'm too lazy to look up the rules.

Comment

• Provincial Representative Governor/Member Ratio

Hi John and Craig:

For Provincial representative governors, it is a governor for every 50 members.

The CFC Constitutional Coaliton tried to get it cut in half, by making it a governor for every 100 members, at the 2009 AGM in Edmonton ( or maybe 2008 in Montreal - don't remember ). But the governors voted down the motion - so it remains the same. The same thing had been tried about 5 years ago, and it also got voted down ( though we got a few more votes this time than last time ).

Many governors told me they thought an " activity rule " ( participate or you're out ) was preferable. So the CFC Constitutional Coalition has now brought a motion to institute this. It is going to the 2010 Toronto AGM for vote.

Bob
                Last edited by Bob Armstrong; Monday, 5th April, 2010, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                  Clearly, you do not :)
                  I am always willing to learn if you are willing to clarify what you are saying. If you simply say that I did not understand without providing any clarification, I might be inclined to believe that on the contrary I did understand too well. If not, then what did you mean exactly by: "As for obligations to life memberships, I think most have received a pretty good deal, some I believe $50 in exchange for a lifetime of services" ? Did you mean that some life members considering the small (in your view) amount they paid should not expect to receive in full the services they paid for ?
                  English being my second language it is always a possibility that I misunderstand the finer points of your statements.

Comment

I believe the foundation is essential considering how often the CFC is led by less than financial competetent executives.
                    This a non-starter. You must assume that the people you put in charge can do the job and give them a free hand to do it, whatever the risks. Otherwise no organisation can move forward. After all no one is ever elected for his "financial incompetetentness". There are risks in spending but there are equal if not greater risks in not spending.

The CFC can develop chess without help of the foundation if it so desires.
                    Of course it can. That is why no one should be too nervous about spending foundation's money. :)

Two major obstacles in my opinion is the absurb number of decision makers (such a small organization has 50+ governors) and its inability to see beyond rated, competitive chess. Such a small sandbox ...
                    Yes there are far too many decision makers at the CFC, which ultimately is the same as having NO décision makers.
                    However the "rated, competitive chess sandbox" is the only sandbox that really counts for organised chess. By definition a chess player wants to compete. Otherwise we don't have a chess player.
                    The aim is to bring as many people as possible in that sandbox and hopefully turn it into a garden.

Comment

I am always willing to learn if you are willing to clarify what you are saying. If you simply say that I did not understand without providing any clarification, I might be inclined to believe that on the contrary I did understand too well. If not, then what did you mean exactly by: "As for obligations to life memberships, I think most have received a pretty good deal, some I believe $50 in exchange for a lifetime of services" ? Did you mean that some life members considering the small (in your view) amount they paid should not expect to receive in full the services they paid for ?
                      English being my second language it is always a possibility that I misunderstand the finer points of your statements.
                      The CFC did collect Life memberships dues, and in doing so, does assume a responsibility to provide the same membership services to Life members as it does to regular members. Agreed. :)

If you want to argue that Lifers must receive for life, the same level of services as when they joined, even when providing such service would bankrupt the CFC, then I have to disagree. :( For example, I have heard the argument that the CFC is obligated to continue the printed magazine until all life members die. This is just silliness.

I think you would agree that the Lifers have suffered the same lapses of service that regular members have endured. :( :D Obligation met!

With reference to the low life membership dues of long ago. Certainly we must adjust for inflation, but perhaps IMHO, regular members have a greater right to complain.;)

Comment

The aim is to bring as many people as possible in that sandbox and hopefully turn it into a garden.
                        Absolutely!:)

Comment

This a non-starter. You must assume that the people you put in charge can do the job and give them a free hand to do it, whatever the risks. Otherwise no organisation can move forward. After all no one is ever elected for his "financial incompetetentness". There are risks in spending but there are equal if not greater risks in not spending.
                          My wife and I are both executives of non-profit organizations which have over 5,000 members and millions in liquidity. Both organizations have very strict spending rules and we're only allowed to spend a small fraction of the liquidity as seed money for special projects. Our experience tells us the rules work well because all "worthwhile" projects were later fully funded from fees, gifts, and donations, and projects which had little support from our members were not.

We find this arrangement rather effective, and less stressful and political than the liberal rules, or the total absence of rules, we encountered in other organizations.

That is why no one should be too nervous about spending foundation's money. :)
                          I am of a different opinion.

However the "rated, competitive chess sandbox" is the only sandbox that really counts for organised chess. By definition a chess player wants to compete. Otherwise we don't have a chess player.
                          The objects of the Corporation are:

To promote and encourage generally in Canada, the knowledge, study and playing of the game of chess, and to this end, and without restricting the generality of the foregoing.

I don't see how you can conclude from these obejcts that the "rated, competitive chess sandbox" is the only sandbox which really counts.

Comment

My wife and I are both executives of non-profit organizations which have over 5,000 members and millions in liquidity. Both organizations have very strict spending rules and we're only allowed to spend a small fraction of the liquidity as seed money for special projects. Our experience tells us the rules work well because all "worthwhile" projects were later fully funded from fees, gifts, and donations, and projects which had little support from our members were not.

We find this arrangement rather effective, and less stressful and political than the liberal rules, or the total absence of rules, we encountered in other organizations.
                            While you may not be talking about Foundations, these rules are very similar, and bring the same benefits with them that you cite. I agree with your entire post, for what it's worth.
                            Fred Harvey

Comment

• Black Boxes

The conclusion that only the rated, competitive chess sandbox counts is hereby obtained only by defining chess players as competing black boxes.

Remove the tautology and what's left is surreptitious advocacy.

Comment

Yuri Aronov, CFC rating 2266 , heads the list of pre registrants for this Active chess tournament.

Yuri Aronov is the current defendin blitz champion of the week at Mom's Cafe (organized by Vlad Dobrich) , and therefore the current Toronto blitz king of the week as of Saturday April 10,2010. Vlad's Saturday blitz tournaments is by far the strongest in Toronto as titled players play there often e.g. IM Samsonkin, FM Sapozhnikov, and many other titled players.

With just 10 days to go.................the count down begins !!!

Please contact the tournament organizer for any questions.
                                Last edited by Erwin Casareno; Wednesday, 14th April, 2010, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X